Artist's impression published November 2012
|Replaced||KiHa 40 series|
|Entered service||Spring 2014 (scheduled)|
|Number under construction||2 vehicles (1 set)|
|Formation||2 cars per trainset|
|Capacity||265 per set|
|Line(s) served||Karasuyama Line, Tohoku Main Line|
|Floor height||1,130 mm (3 ft 8 in)|
|Doors||3 pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||100 km/h (60 mph)|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Current collection method||Overhead line|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The EV-E301 series (EV-E301系) is a 2-car battery electric multiple unit (BEMU) train type on order by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) for use on the Karasuyama Line and Tohoku Main Line from spring 2014. The train will be branded "Accum".
Developed from the experimental "Smart Denchi-kun" battery railcar tested on the Karasuyama Line in 2012, the 2-car EV-E301 series train will operate as an electric multiple unit (EMU) under the 1,500 V DC overhead wire of the Tohoku Main Line between Utsunomiya and Hōshakuji, and on battery power over the non-electrified Karasuyama Line tracks. It can also be recharged via its pantographs at a recharging facility specially built at Karasuyama Station. JR East ultimately hopes to replace all of the diesel trains used on the line with new EV-E301 series units.
The two-car train will be formed as shown below, with all axles driven.
|Passenger capacity (seated/total)||134/51||131/48|
The Mc car is fitted with two single-arm pantographs.
- 817 series, a JR Kyushu EMU experimentally converted into a BEMU
- "JR東日本 烏山線で蓄電池駆動電車システム実用化" [JR East to put battery EMU system into operation on Karasuyama Line]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun) 42 (345): p.72. January 2013.
- "ＪＲ烏山線の新型蓄電池車両 愛称「アキュム」に" [New battery train for JR Karasuyama Line to be named "Accum"]. Shimotsuke Original Online News (in Japanese). Japan: Shimotsuke Shimbun. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- "JR東日本 烏山線に新型蓄電池電車導入" [JR East to introduce new battery train on Karasuyama Line]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "「スマート電池くん」を実用化し、烏山線に導入します" ["Smart Denchi-kun" to be put into commercial operation and introduced on Karasuyama Line] (PDF). Press release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "EV-E301系蓄電池電車" [EV-E301 series battery EMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine (Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd.) 53 (621): p.56. January 2013.