From left to right: Hani, LE, Solji, Junghwa, Hyelin
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Associated acts||Shinsadong Tiger|
EXID (/ /; Hangul: 이엑스아이디), an acronym for Exceed in Dreaming, is a five-member South Korean girl group, composed of Solji, LE, Hani, Hyelin, and Junghwa. Formed by Gamgak Entertainment in 2011, EXID originally started off as a six-member group consisting of members LE, Hani, Junghwa, Yuzi, Dami, and Haeryung. They made their official debut on February 16, 2012 with the release of their digital single album Holla. Two months later, Yuzi, Dami, and Haeryung departed the group, and were soon replaced by Solji and Hyelin. The quintet then released their first EP Hippity Hop in August 2012, but it was met with limited success.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards
- 6 Endorsements
- 7 References
In May 2011, producer Shinsadong Tiger and AB Entertainment (now known as Gamgak Entertainment) scouted several trainees from JYP Entertainment to form a new girl group. Yuzi was the first trainee to join AB Entertainment when JYP's girl group, which consisted of Yuzi, Hani, Song Ji-eun (of Secret fame), and Hyolyn (of Sistar fame), failed to debut. Yuzi contacted JYP trainees Hani, Haeryung, and Junghwa to audition for AB, and all three were subsequently accepted into the agency. The group added a fifth member when Shinsadong discovered LE, an underground rapper and songwriter who performed under the name "Elly". Dami, who was already an AB trainee, was the sixth and last member added to the group.[better source needed] Originally named "WT", an acronym for "Who's That", the group later changed their name to EXID, an initialism for "Exceed in Dream", a few months before their debut. In December 2011, LE was featured in Huh Gak's single "Whenever You Play That Song", which was a top five hit.
EXID scheduled to debut in January 2012, their debut was delayed to February when LE sustained a leg injury during rehearsals. On February 3, 2012, AB announced that EXID would debut with the single "Whoz That Girl". Video teasers featuring various members doing solo performances were subsequently released online.
EXID dropped their first digital single album Holla on February 16, 2012. They made their debut performance on M! Countdown, followed by Music Core and Inkigayo. Their debut song "Whoz That Girl" peaked at number 36 on the Gaon Singles Chart, ultimately selling 630,000 digital copies.
2012: Debut, lineup changes, Hippity Hop and "Every Night"
In April 2012, AB Entertainment announced the departure of original members Yuzi, Dami, and Haeryung. AB said in a statement that Yuzi and Dami left the group to focus on their studies, while Haeryung left to pursue an acting career. They were replaced by Solji, a former member of vocal duo 2NB, and Hyelin, who was considered to be part of EXID's original lineup before she was dropped.
With the new members, EXID returned in August 2012 with their comeback single "I Feel Good" and their first EP Hippity Hop. Hippity Hop debuted at number 13 on the Gaon Albums Chart, selling 1,500 copies. On October 2, EXID returned with a new digital single "Every Night", an alternate version of LE's self-written song "Phone Call" which was recorded in their debut EP. "Every Night" debuted at number 43 on the Gaon Singles Chart, selling 105,000 digital copies.
On October 11, EXID released the song "Hey Boy" as part of the soundtrack release for MBC’s sitcom, The Thousandth Man. The song is the female version of B1A4‘s main title song, “Hey Girl“. Producer Shinsadong Tiger rearranged the song into a "reggae style" to create a different approach from B1A4′s original version.
It was revealed on November 30, 2012 that EXID along with Big Star and D-Unit, would be working together on a special collaboration album in addition to a special year-end concert. The concert, titled "The Bugs Show Vol. 1", was subsequently held on December 22 at the V-Hall in Hongdae, Seoul, South Korea. On December 6, EXID won the rookie award at the “20th Korea Cultural Entertainment Awards”. In their acceptance speech, the group said “We are so happy and honored to receive such a meaningful award. We will continue to try our best and grow."
2013–present: Dasoni sub-unit, "Up & Down", and rise in popularity
On February 8, 2013, EXID released the single "Up & Down" from the Incarnation of Money soundtrack, and it was announced shortly afterwards that Hani and Solji would be taking part in a sub-unit called "Dasoni". The sub-unit released their debut single "Goodbye" on February 15, 2013 which also included the song "Said So Often".
It was announced in June 2014 that the members had signed an exclusive contract with Yedang Entertainment and were preparing a comeback with Shinsadong Tiger who would be taking the reins in terms of producing their album.
On August 24, EXID held their comeback showcase at the Ilchi Art Hall, performing their new song "Up & Down". The song was released on August 27 and initially charted poorly, failing to make it on the top 100 on the Gaon Chart; though it peaked at number 94 on the domestic chart. However, the song slowly gained popularity in late November after a fan-cam of member Hani performing the song went viral on Korean social networking websites. This lead to the song to shoot back up on the music charts, eventually climbing up into the top 10 on the real-time charts and topping the Gaon Chart. Due to the success, EXID returned to several music programs to promote "Up and Down". The song was subsequently nominated for a first place award on Show! Music Core, The Music Trend, and M Countdown, in which they won the latter on January 8, 2015 for the first time since the group's debut. On January 9, the group won its first public broadcast music program award at KBS's Music Bank. The Music Bank win was followed up by a win at the January 11's edition of SBS's Inkigayo.
EXID currently has five members: Solji, LE, Hani, Hyerin, and Junghwa. Solji (Heo Solji 허솔지) is a former member of the vocal duo 2NB, and also released solo singles in 2008. She was the vocal trainer for the group before becoming a member. She has provided guide vocals for several songs, including Ailee's "U&I" and Hong Jin-young's "Boogie Man", and sang part of the chorus of Dal Shabet's song "B.B.B". LE (Ahn Hyojin 안효진) was a former member of the underground rap team Jiggy Fellaz under the name of Elly. She was featured in "Whenever You Play That Song", a duet with Huh Gak, before EXID's debut. Hani (Ahn Heeyeon 안희연) was a former JYP Entertainment trainee. She provided narration in C-Clown's song "Cold" and appeared in the music video for Mad Clown's song "Fire". Hyerin (Seo Hyerin 서혜린) was a trainee at Joy Dance - Plug In Music Academy before being signed to a contract under KeyEast. She participated in Superstar K3. She initially did not make the final cut for EXID but joined the group during its lineup changes. Junghwa (Park Junghwa 박정화) was a former JYP Entertainment trainee, and appeared in the music videos for "Whenever You Play That Song" by Huh Gak and LE and the Wonder Girls song "Tell Me".
The three former members of EXID later joined the group BESTie in 2013. Dami (Kang Hyeyeon 강혜연) left EXID to pursue her studies. She joined BESTie under her birth name Hyeyeon. Yuji (Jung Yuji 정유지) was a previous trainee under JYP Entertainment, and was supposed to be in a trio with Secret's Jieun and Sistar's Hyolyn. She left EXID to continue her studies, and a year later debuted in BESTie under the stage name Uji. Haeryung (Na Haeryung 나해령) was a previous trainee under JYP Entertainment. She decided to leave EXID to pursue an acting career, and a year later she debuted in BESTie.
- Predebut is in violet.
- Hippity Hop (2012)
|2012||20th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Rookie Award||Won|
|2012 Arirang's Simply K-Pop Awards||Super Rookie Idol of the Year||Won|
|2015||4th GAON Chart Kpop Awards||Hot Trend Award||Won|
|2015||January 13||"Up & Down"|
|2015||January 8||"Up & Down"|
|2015||January 15||"Up & Down"|
|2015||January 9||"Up & Down"|
|2015||January 16||"Up & Down"|
|2015||January 11||"Up & Down"|
-  HIM Magazine
- Park, Hyun-min; Lee, Ju-ahn (March 20, 2012). "[Interview] Will EXID Become the Next Big Thing?". CJ E&M enewsworld. Mwave. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- "The story behind the split between EXID and Bestie". NetizenBuzz. 10 January 2015. Retrieved 16 January 2015.
- 신사동호랭이, 걸그룹 WT 제작자로 변신..내년 초 전격 데뷔. The Korea Herald (in Korean). October 21, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (December 9, 2011). EXID LE, 허각과 함께 한 `그 노래를 틀때마다`로 1위 `감격`. Edaily (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "http://www.mtvk.com/blog-posts/huh-gak-le-release-whenever-you-play-that-song-mv/". MTV K. December 9, 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "Shinsadong Horaengi’s new girl group EXID postpone their debut to February, Why?". Starnews. Korea.com. January 23, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Kim, Eun-gu (February 4, 2012). 신사동호랭이 표 걸그룹 EXID, 티저포스터 공개. Donga (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (February 16, 2012). "Exid Drops MV for ‘Whoz That Girl’". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- EXID(이엑스아이디), 오늘 '엠카운트다운'서 컴백 첫 무대. The Star (in Korean). February 16, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Gwon, Su-bin (April 30, 2012). EXID 멤버교체 “3명 하차 VS 2명 영입, 5인조 재편해 6월 컴백”. Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (April 30, 2012). "EXID Undergoes Member Changes". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Ho, Stewart. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-ju (July 16, 2012). ‘멤버교체’ 5인조 EXID, 8월 중순 전격 컴백. StarN News (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (July 31, 2012). "EXID Undergoes Member Changes". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erkia. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "EXID - HIPPITY HOP ご購入ならミュージックコリア". Musickorea.jp. October 2, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Ho, Stewart (October 2, 2012). "EXID Releases New Digital Single ‘Every Night’". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Gwak, Min-gu (October 11, 2012). EXID. ‘천 번째 남자’ OST 합류…B1A4 ‘Hey Girl’ 女 버전 눈길. Hankyung (in Korean). Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- 빅스타-디유닛-EXID, 콜라보 음원 발매...'특별 프로젝트'. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. November 30, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- Ho, Stewart (December 4, 2012). "Electroboys, Big Star, EXID, Dok2 and Others Come Together for Christmas Show". CJ E&M enewsWorld. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- EXID, 대한민국 문화연예대상 신인상 수상 “더욱 열심히 할게요”. The Korea Herald (in Korean). December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2014.
- "EXID Wins Rookie Award at "20th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards"". Soompi. December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 28, 2012.
- Mun, Wan-sik (February 11, 2013). EXID 솔지, 무보정 '애플힙' 몸매 공개. Star News (in Korean). Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Park, Hyun-min (February 15, 2013). "EXID Debuts New Unit, Dasoni". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Kim, Erika. MWave. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Kim, Dong-Joo (June 28, 2014). "EXID sign a new management contract with Yedang Entertainment". Star N News. Yahoo Entertainment Singapore. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- Khelil, Nawael (August 25, 2014). "EXID Makes You Go Up And Down". BNTNews. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- 2014년 36주차 Digital Chart (국내) [36th week of 2014 Digital Chart (Domestic)]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Kim Hyo-eun; Sung So-young (December 15, 2014). "Social media gives failing singers another chance". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Lee, Seung-mi (November 23, 2014). '제2의 빠빠빠'탄생?…EXID '위아래'광속 차트 역주행. Ilgan Sports (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Ha, Yeong-heon (November 23, 2014). 걸그룹 EXID ‘위아래’, 음원차트 역주행 기현상 ‘벌써 10위권’. Sports Kyunghyang (in Korean). Naver. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- EXID '위아래'의 놀라운 역주행. Osen (in Korean). Chosun.com. December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- 2015년 02주차 Digital Chart [2nd week of 2015 Digital Chart]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Park, Gyu-oh (December 3, 2014). "EXID buoyed by belated popularity of ‘Up & Down’" (in Korean). K-Pop Herald. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- '음악중심' EXID '위아래' 1위 후보 퍼포먼스 (in Korean). YTN. January 3, 2015. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Yoon, So-hee (January 2, 2014). ‘인기가요’ 차트 집계 기준 변경으로 1위 후보 ‘EXID vs 지디태양 vs 엑소’ (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Choi, Ji-hyun (January 8, 2014). EXID, 데뷔 3년만에 첫 1위 기념 인증샷 공개 “평생 잊지 못할 날” (in Korean). Tenasia. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- Song, Soo-Bin. "‘뮤직뱅크’ EXID 지상파 첫 1위, 앵콜무대서 연지곤지 탈춤 공약 이행".
- dongA.com http://news.donga.com/Main/3/all/20150111/69026092/1
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 12 January 2015.