|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (December 2014)|
EXO at KPOP world Festival in 2013
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Labels||S.M. Entertainment (South Korea)
Avex Trax (Japan)
Exo (stylized as EXO; // EK-soh; Korean: 엑소) is a South Korean-Chinese K-pop boy band produced by S.M. Entertainment. Formed in 2011 in Seoul, South Korea, EXO consists of 12 members separated into two subgroups, EXO-K and EXO-M, performing music in Korean and Mandarin, respectively. EXO-K comprises Suho, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai and Sehun. The members of EXO-M are Xiumin, Luhan, Kris, Lay, Chen and Tao.
The group's two albums, the debut EP Mama (2012) and the studio album XOXO (2013), sold over 1.5 million units in total worldwide. With XOXO, they became the youngest boy band to win Album of the Year at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, and the fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. EXO also has the highest chart position on the "Billboard 200" for Korean male group acts. Since 2012, the group has received over sixty awards.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Controversy
- 6 Tours
- 7 Other ventures
- 8 Awards and nominations
- 9 References
- 10 External links
In May 2011, at a Hallyu business seminar held at Stanford University, Lee Soo-man spoke about a strategy of debuting a new boyband, in which they would be divided into 2 subgroups, promoting the same music simultaneously in South Korea and China by performing songs in both Korean and Mandarin. After several changes, in December 2011, the group finalized their name to EXO, with the names EXO-K for the South Korean subgroup and EXO-M for the Chinese subgroup. Their name was taken from the word exoplanet. They debuted their first televised performance at SBS's annual Gayo Daejun event on December 29, 2011.
2012: Debut and Mama
EXO-K and EXO-M's prologue single "What Is Love" was released on January 30, 2012, in mainland China and South Korea. The single peaked at number 88 on South Korea's Gaon Single Chart. On March 9, the group released their second prologue single "History", which was written and produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee. The single peaked at number 68 on the Gaon Single Chart and number six on China's Sina Music Chart.
A concert for the group was held in Seoul's Olympic Stadium on March 31. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend. A second concert was held in the Great Hall of the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing on April 1.
EXO-K and EXO-M released their debut single, "Mama", on April 8 followed by an EP, Mama, on April 9. On April 8, Exo-K performed on South Korea's music program The Music Trend, while EXO-M made their debut in China's Top Chinese Music Awards on the same day. A day after release, "Mama" reached number one on various Chinese online retailers and music charts. Exo-M's album reached number two on China's Sina Album Chart, number five on South Korea's Gaon Album Chart, and number twelve on the Billboard World Albums Chart. Exo-K's album peaked at number one on the Gaon Album Chart and at number eight on the Billboard World Albums Chart. Exo-M's "Mama" music video reached number one on Chinese streaming websites, while Exo-K's version reached to number seven on YouTube's Global Chart. In late April 2012, Exo-M performed as a guest act for Super Junior's Super Show 4 concert tour in Jakarta, Indonesia.
In November 2012, EXO won Best New Asian Artist Group at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards. EXO-K received three nominations at the 27th Golden Disk Awards, winning the Newcomer Award. EXO-M received the Most Popular Group award at the 2013 Top Chinese Music Awards.
2013: XOXO, commercial success and Miracles in December
XOXO was released in June 2013 to two versions, a Korean-language "Kiss" edition and a Mandarin-language "Hug" edition. Unlike during the Mama era, when EXO-K and EXO-M had separate promotions, XOXO was jointly promoted. The subgroups collaborated for the album's lead single, "Wolf", but the rest of the album was recorded separately. A few days after its release, the songs in XOXO topped almost every real-time chart from online music websites of South Korea and mainland China. The two versions collectively peaked at number one on the Billboard World Album Chart a week after release. Lead single "Wolf" peaked at number one on three of South Korea's music programs, earning the name "triple win." "Wolf" also won a trophy on MBC Music's Show Champion, but the song fared worse on music download charts, reaching to only top thirty spots in recorded charts from both South Korea and China.
A repackaged version of XOXO, with three additional tracks, was released on August 5, 2013. The reissue's lead single, "Growl", was unveiled via YouTube on August 1, 2013, in the format of a music video. On August 18, "Growl" achieved 10,554 points on The Music Trend charts, setting a new number one record on the show. "Growl" reached number one on all four of Korea's major music programs, winning a total of ten trophies in three consecutive weeks. The single peaked at number three on Billboard's Korea K-Pop Hot 100 and number two on the Gaon's Singles chart. As of October 2013, all versions of XOXO have collectively sold over 910,000 copies, breaking the record for being fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. XOXO was named Album of the Year at the 2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards, making EXO the youngest ever boy band to win the award. The album's single "Growl" was also honored Song of the Year at the 2013 MelOn Music Awards.
EXO's second EP Miracles in December was officially released December 9, 2013 through South Korean commercial outlets and online music stores. Exo jump-started album promotions through their reality show EXO's Showtime, which premiered on November 28, 2013 on the cable channel MBC Every 1. Baekhyun, Chen, and D.O. performed the EP's lead single, "Miracles in December", at M! Countdown on December 5.
2014: Overdose, Kris' and Luhan's lawsuit and Fanclub Production
On May 15, 2014, S.M. Entertainment confirmed through an interview that EXO-M's leader, Kris, had filed a lawsuit against the agency to terminate his contract. As of the submission date of the lawsuit the band promoted with 11 members.
In August 2014, S.M. Entertainment officially announced EXO's fandom name, "EXO-L". The logic behind the name is the letter "L" in "EXO-L" stands for "Love".
|Stage name ||Birth name||Date of birth||Nationality|
|Suho||수호||金俊勉||김준면||Kim Jun Myun||May 22, 1991||South Korea|
|Baekhyun||백현||邊伯賢||변백현||Byun Baek Hyun||May 6, 1992|
|Chanyeol||찬열||朴燦烈||박찬열||Park Chan Yeol||November 27, 1992|
|D.O||디오||都暻秀||도경수||Do Kyung Soo||January 12, 1993|
|Kai||카이||金鍾仁||김종인||Kim Jong In||January 14, 1994|
|Sehun||세훈||吳世勳||오세훈||Oh Se Hun||April 12, 1994|
|Stage name ||Birth name||Date of birth||Nationality|
|Xiumin||시우민||金珉錫||김민석||Kim Min Seok||March 26, 1990||South Korea|
|Lay||레이||張藝興||장이씽||Zhang Yixing||October 7, 1991||China|
|Chen||첸||金鐘大||김종대||Kim Jong Dae||September 21, 1992||South Korea|
|Tao||타오||黃子韜||황쯔타오||Huang Zitao||May 2, 1993||China|
- Nationality states where members currently hold citizenship
All releases are credited as EXO unless otherwise indicated.
- XOXO (2013)
On May 15, 2014, S.M. Entertainment confirmed through an interview that EXO-M's leader, Kris, had filed a lawsuit against the agency to terminate his contract. It is suspected that there is disagreement between him and S.M. Entertainment regarding his activities. The same law firm that represented Han Geng of Super Junior in his lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment will also be representing Kris.
On October 10, 2014, Luhan filed a lawsuit against SM Entertainment to nullify his contract, mainly because of health issues. The same law that represented Han Geng and Kris in their lawsuits against S.M. Entertainment will also be representing Luhan.
After only a month of debut, EXO-K covered South Korea's High Cut magazine and was featured in a spread for Calvin Klein Jeans. EXO-K was also chosen to be the new ambassador for the 2013 Fall/Winter collection of school uniforms for South Korea's Ivy Club, and endorsed the brand simultaneously with actress Kim Yoo-jung. EXO-K further endorsed the "Chia seed" skincare cream for South Korea's The Face Shop and Sunny 10, a new brand of drinks from Coca Cola that is exclusive to South Korea.
In November 2012, EXO-K shot a commercial ad for the Samsung Ativ PC. EXO-K's Kai and EXO-M's Lu Han also worked with the Hyundai Motor Company, and formed a temporary band, the Younique Unit, with four other S.M. Entertainment label mates in order to promote the motor company's PYL campaign. Their promotional music video, "Maxstep", was released on October 30, 2012.
Early February 2013, EXO began to promote for the popular South Korean clothing brand, "Kolon Sport." The band shot a commercial ad for a new pair of sneakers named after them, MOVE-XO. The commercial featured both Exo-K & M split into two groups, a red and blue team, they battled by showing off unique dance moves to win Nam Bo-ra's heart. The band was also featured in the "Summer T-Shirt" catalog as of June 2014, promoting Kolon Sport's Summer wear.
While promoting their first album XOXO, the twelve members of EXO modeled for the August 2013 edition of the male fashion magazine, L'officiel Hommes. In August, the band launched a clothing range Boy Who Cried Wolf (BWCW), partnering up with various Korean street brands. The collaboration store is located at OUTLAB in Garosu-gil, Sinsa-dong. EXO also has a 2-year endorsement deal with cosmetics brand, Nature Republic.
The members of EXO-K became goodwill ambassadors for South Korea's Red Cross Youth in December 2012. Members of EXO became honorary ambassadors for Seoul's Gangnam district in February 2014 with SHINee. Members of EXO and Bae Doona are appointed as official ambassadors for Fashion-KODE 2014 which is host by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Korea and the Korea Active Content Agency Fashion Festival in July 2014. In July 2014, Samsung announced EXO as Samsung’s brand ambassador for 2014 Summer Youth Olympics. Xiumin and Kai have become honorary members of the Korean Football Association (KFA), the governing body of soccer in Korea, in December 11, 2014.
Awards and nominations
EXO have been recipients of 68 awards from South Korea and mainland China. EXO has also won 40 music program awards. On June 14, 2013, a year after their official debut, the band received their first number-one win on South Korean music program Music Bank with the single "Wolf." The following weekend, the song achieved number-one wins on Show! Music Core and The Music Trend, becoming a "triple win" hit. It also won a champion trophy on music program Show Champion.
- rocojulie (June 18, 2013). "EXO-K finishes up 'Mama' promotions as top new group of the year". Soompi. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- carolicity (May 30, 2013). "Pre-orders for EXO's first album 'XOXO' about to reach 300,000 copies". Allkpop. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Adrienne Stanley (2013-11-22). "INFINITE Wins Best Male Group Beating EXO, While EXO Wins Album Of The Year". KpopStaz. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- starsung (September 3, 2013). "EXO breaks another record with 740,000 copies of 'XOXO(Kiss&Hug)' sold in just 3 months". Allkpop. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- "EXO-K and EXO-M chart in the Top 5 on Billboard's World Albums Chart with 'Overdose'". Allkpop. May 16, 2014. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- "EXO's 'Overdose' EP Enters Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "SM's Lee Soo-man announces new boy band" (in Korean). Nate. May 9, 2011. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- "S.M. Entertainment's chairman Lee Soo-man discusses culture industry secrets and slave contracts" (in Korean). Chosun Ilbo. October 16, 2010. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "SM introduces new boy group member, KAI". Allkpop. December 22, 2011. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "S.M.'s rookie group EXO made debut in the SBS Gayo Daejun". Newsen (in Korean). December 29, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2012.
- "SM 새 그룹 Exo, 30일 프롤로그 싱글 공개" [Exo releases first single]. Nate.com (in Korean). 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- "The Prologue Single II ‘HISTORY’ of SM’s New Groups, EXO-K and EXO-M, will be Released on the 9th at 00:00 a.m.!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- 新歌飙升榜 [Sina Music Charts] (in Chinese). Sina.com. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- Exo (2012-04-07). Exo Showcase Part 3 (in Korean and Mandarin Chinese). S.M. Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Exo debuts in front of 3000 fans". Korea.net. 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "SM新团Exo中国发布会劲歌热舞展多样魅力" [S.M.'s new group Exo first press conference in China]. Sina.com (in Chinese). 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "The First Mini Album Title Song ‘MAMA’ of Exo-K and Exo-M will be Released Worldwide on the 8th at 00:00!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2012-04-11.
- "Exo-K and Exo-M will Make Their Debut on April 8th both in Korea and China!" (Press release). S.M. Entertainment. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- "Exo-K make "History" with their debut of "MAMA" on 'Inkigayo'!". Allkpop. 2012-04-08. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- "韩团Exo-M《MAMA》雄踞中国音乐榜榜首" [Korean group Exo-M's single "Mama" reaches number one in China] (in Chinese). Sina.com. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "World Albums". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "<Exo-K>차트 검색결과" [Exo-K Chart Positions] (in Korean). Gaon. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- Lee, Jinho (2012-04-09). "Exo-K’s Music Video Comes In Seventh on Youtube Chart". Mnet. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Nefa (3 June 2013). "EXO finally drop their 1st full album 'XOXO'". allkpop. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- Grace Danbi Hong (3 June 2013). "EXO Decorates Several Music Charts with ‘XOXO’". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Jeon Su Mi & Erika Kim (4 June 2013), EXO′s ′XOXO′ Gobbles Up Top Spots on Album Charts, enewsWorld, retrieved 2013-06-04
- Addy (2013-06-14). "Chinese-Korean boy band, Exo, reaches No. 1 on Billboard World Album Chart". JayneStars. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- MountainMadman (June 16, 2013). "EXO achieves the 'triple win' with trophies on all three major broadcast stations". Allkpop. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- jennywill (2013-06-19). "Exo take home the 'Show Chamption' trophy". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-08-13.
- sallice10 (2013-07-25). "EXO to release repackaged album and gear up for follow-up promotions with 'Growl'". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- jennywill (2013-03-31). "EXO reveal MV for follow-up song, 'Growl'". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- KRG (2013-08-18). "EXO beats senior singers 2NE1 and f(x) for 'The Music Trend' first place". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-18.
- "Group EXO ranks number 1 for 2 weeks straight". KpopStarz. 2013-08-20. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- Jeff Benjamin (August 15, 2013). "Crayon Pop rides viral wave to No. 1 on K-Pop Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- "EXO-M @ Weibo". Weibo (in Chinese). 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- jennywill (2013-07-11). "EXO takes over top 2 spots on the Gaon Monthly Chart for June, highest monthly album sales in 2013". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- Lee Hyein (November 15, 2013). "2013 MelOn Music Awards: Daesangs Go to SHINee, Exo, and Busker Busker". Kpop Planet. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "EXO ring in the season with 'Miracles in December' MV". Allkpop. December 4, 2013. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- "MBC+Media - EXO'S SHOWTIME" (in Korean). MBC. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "EXO reveals romantic and bittersweet MV teaser for Miracles in December". Allkpop. December 2, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "EXO's mini-album to be delayed for a tentative date". Allkpop. 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- "EXO Achieves All-Kill Across Charts within 7 Hours of "Overdose" Release". Soompi. May 6, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "EXO's Kris seeking to nullify contract with SM Entertainment". Allkpop. May 15, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Kris-less EXO members talk first solo concert series". Korea Herald. May 25, 2014. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "K-Pop World Abuzz After EXO Lawsuit". Wall Street Journal. May 22, 2014. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "Exo launches official fanclub Exo-L". ChinaTopix. 2014-08-06. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Reports reveal Luhans reasons behind lawsuit statements from representative and friend of Luhan". Soompi. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "EXO-K Official Profile" (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Men's Style magazine EXO-K members profile". Men's Style Magazine. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- "EXO-M Official Profile" (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- EXO's Kris seeking to nullify contract with SM Entertainment". Allkpop.com (May 15, 2014). Retrieved on May 15, 2014.
- "韓男團「EXO」拆夥！ 中國成員KRIS鬧失蹤求解約" [EXO Chinese member Kris go missing asking to terminate his contract]. Ettoday.net (in Chinese). 2014-05-15. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "엑소 크리스, 전속계약해지 소송 "조용히 처리할 것" vs SM "당황"(종합)" (in Korean). Enews. May 15, 2014. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "EXO-K representing Calvin Klein Jeans for 'High Cut' magazine". Soompi. 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Go behind the scenes with EXO-K and Kim Yoo-jung for Ivy Club". allkpop. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "EXO-K models for The Face Shop". allkpop. 2012-06-27. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "'Sunny 10' unveils photo of EXO-K from the set of upcoming CF". allkpop. 2012-08-19. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Samsung ATIV Smart PC - "Create Your Smart Style" with EXO-K". SamsungNotebook Youtube Channel. 2012-11-14.
- "YOUNIQUE UNIT_MAXSTEP_Music Video". SMTOWN Youtube Channel. 2012-10-31.
- "Exo sneakers Kolon Sport". FashionKorea. 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "Exo split it up into two teams for a dance battle in Kolon Sport Cf". Allkpop. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Kolon Sports Summer t-shirts catalog featuring Exo". Exo-love. 2014-05-06. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- "EXO showcase 12 different ways of wearing suits for 'L'officiel Hommes'". allkpop. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- "EXO to open up 'BWCW' collaboration store". MWave. 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- 태연·엑소, 네이처리퍼블릭 모델로 발탁 (in Korean). Asia Economy. 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "EXO-K Appointed Honorary Ambassadors For Korean Red Cross Youth". Han Cinema. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "EXO and SHINee to become the honorary ambassadors of Gangnam". Allkpop. 2014-02-24. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "EXO & Actress Bae Doona appointed as the official ambassadors of Fashion-KODE 2014". onehallyu. June 18, 2014. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "EXO as ambassador for 2014 Summer Youth Olympics". telecompaper. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- http://www.soompi.com/2014/12/10/exos-xiumin-and-kai-are-made-honorary-members-of-the-korean-football-association/. Missing or empty
- "EXO winning number one on Inkigayo". Naver (in Korean). 2013-06-16. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Exo (band).|
- EXO official website (Korean)