EZ Canis Majoris
Epoch J2000.0 Equinox J2000.0 (ICRS)
|Right ascension||06h 54m 13.0441s|
|Declination||−23° 55′ 42.011″|
|Apparent magnitude (V)||6.71 to 6.95|
|U−B color index||−0.89|
|B−V color index||−0.28|
|R−I color index||+0.06|
|Proper motion (μ)||RA: −3.86 mas/yr
Dec.: 4.75 mas/yr
|Parallax (π)||1.74 ± 0.76 mas|
|Absolute magnitude (MV)||−4.6|
|Luminosity (bolometric)||380,000 L☉|
EZ Canis Majoris (EZ CMa) is a Wolf-Rayet star in the constellation of Canis Major. It has an apparent visual magnitude which varies between 6.71 and 6.95, over a period of 3.766 days. It is the sixth-brightest Wolf-Rayet star.
EZ Canis Majoris shows variations on its spectrum with a period of approximately 3.8 days and it has been proposed it could be a binary star, with a neutron star as companion that would complete an orbit around the Wolf-Rayet with that period, being it the cause of those variations; however it seems more likely that companion does not exist and spectral variations are caused by activity on the star's surface.
- V* EZ CMa -- Wolf-Rayet Star, database entry, SIMBAD. Accessed on line November 20, 2008.
- EZ CMa, database entry, The combined table of GCVS Vols I-III and NL 67-78 with improved coordinates, General Catalogue of Variable Stars, Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow, Russia. Accessed on line November 20, 2008.
- HR 2583, database entry, The Bright Star Catalogue, 5th Revised Ed. (Preliminary Version), D. Hoffleit and W. H. Warren, Jr., CDS ID V/50. Accessed on line November 20, 2008.
- Spitzer Space Telescope Infrared Spectrograph (IRS) Spectroscopy of the Prototype Wolf-Rayet Star EZ Canis Majoris (HD 50896), Patrick W. Morris, Paul A. Crowther, and Jim R. Houck, Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series 154, #1 (September 2004), pp. 413–417, doi:10.1086/422878, Bibcode: 2004ApJS..154..413M. Stellar parameters are in Table 1.
- §6, Photon loss from the helium Lyα line — the key to the acceleration of Wolf-Rayet winds, W. Schmutz, Astronomy and Astrophysics 321 (May 1997), pp. 268–287, Bibcode: 1997A&A...321..268S.
- The IUE Mega Campaign: Wind Structure and Variability of HD 50896 (WN5) Astrophysical Journal Letters 452 #1, pp. L57 (October 1995) Bibcode: 1995ApJ...452L..57S
|This variable star–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|