E D Thomas Memorial Higher Secondary School
|ED Thomas Higher Secondary School|
Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India, 613502
|School type||Private Higher Secondary School|
|Motto||'Physical Mental Spiritual'|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Seventh-day Adventist Church|
|School board||Matriculation/State Board|
|Classes||1 Std to 12 Std|
|Average class size||50|
|Medium of language||English, Tamil|
ED Thomas Higher Secondary School, Thanjavur is a higher secondary school run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church near Thanjavur in the Tamil Nadu State of India.It is a part of the Seventh-day Adventist education system, the world's second largest Christian school system.
ED Thomas Memorial Higher Secondary School is situated about 12 km from Thanjavur on 52 acres of land blessed with scenic and natural beauty.The pleasant climate and peaceful surroundings create an atmosphere for learning.
There are physics, chemistry and biology laboratories. The school has a volleyball court.
The schools curriculum consists primarily of the standard courses taught at college preparatory schools across the world. All students are required to take classes in the core areas of English, Basic Sciences, Mathematics, a Foreign Language, and Social Sciences.
All students take religion classes each year that they are enrolled. These classes cover topics in biblical history and Christian and denominational doctrines. Instructors in other disciplines also begin each class period with prayer or a short devotional thought, many which encourage student input. Weekly, the entire student body gathers together in the auditorium for an hour-long chapel service. Outside the classrooms there is year-round spiritually oriented programming that relies on student involvement.
The Academy offers the following sports:
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary and elementary schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- List of Seventh-day Adventist medical schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- Seventh-day Adventist education
- http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/1115/For-real-education-reform-take-a-cue-from-the-Adventists"the second largest Christian school system in the world has been steadily outperforming the national average – across all demographics."
- "Department of Education, Seventh-day Adventist Church". Retrieved 2010-06-18.
- Rogers, Wendi; Kellner, Mark A. (April 1, 2003). "World Church: A Closer Look at Higher Education". Adventist News Network. Retrieved 2010-06-19.