Eagle Point National Cemetery
|Eagle Point National Cemetery|
|Used for those deceased|
near Eagle Point, Oregon
|Burials by nation|
Eagle Point National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located 14 miles northeast of Eagle Point, Jackson County of the U.S. state of Oregon. It is about 14 miles (20 km) northeast of Medford. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, it encompasses 43.4 acres (17.6 ha), and as of 2014, had over 17,000 interments.
Cypress Hills National Cemetery opened in 1952 to service the nearby veterans facility in White City, Oregon about four miles away. Administration was transferred to the National Cemetery system in 1973, when it was named White City National Cemetery. The name was changed to Eagle Point National Cemetery on March 19, 1985.
- A memorial dedicated to "All Unknown Veterans" was erected at the cemetery in 1980, it was donated by the Disabled American Veterans organization.
- A carillon was donated by the American Veterans as part of their international living-memorial program, which began shortly after World War II.
- A memorial dedicated to all 1st Marine Divisions of all Wars was donated by the 1st Marine Division Association.
- USN Lieutenant George Ray Tweed (1902–1989) – World War II veteran who hid for two and a half years following the Battle of Guam, evading capture and supplying information to the US forces in the Pacific. He wrote Robinson Crusoe, USN which inspired the movie No Man Is an Island.
- Charlene Pryer (1921–1999) – World War II veteran and All-American Girls Professional Baseball League player
- Eagle Point National Cemetery: Official
- Tweed, George R; Clark, Blake (2010). Robinson Crusoe, USN: the adventures of George R. Tweed Rm1c on Japanese-held Guam. Yardley, PA, USA: Westholme ; Barnsley. ISBN 978-1-59416-111-7. OCLC 495778700
- Lieut George Ray Tweed at Find a Grave
- Charlene "Shorty" Pryer Mayer at Find a Grave
- National Cemetery Administration
- Eagle Point National Cemetery
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. OR-1, "Eagle Point National Cemetery, 2763 Riley Road, Eagle Point, Jackson County, OR", 25 photos, 3 photo caption pages
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Eagle Point National Cemetery
- Eagle Point National Cemetery at Find a Grave