Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts of the Philippines)
|Eagle Scout (BSP)|
Eagle Scout is the highest rank awarded to a Senior Scout in the Boy Scouts of the Philippines (BSP). To be awarded the rank, a Scout must lead in planning and doing two community service projects and earn a total of 21 merit badges consisting of 17 required merit badges and 2 specialist ratings (a specialist rating involves 3 related merit badges and a community service project). After achieving the rank of Eagle, a Scout may earn an Anahaw award for earning 2 additional specialist ratings.
The term Eagle Scout, Eagle, or Agila is used to refer to a person who was given the award. The award's name was derived from the Eagle Scout awarded by the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). From 1923 to 1936 (when the Philippines was a possession of the United States), the BSA administered the Boy Scouts program in the Philippines through the Philippine Council, BSA. According to the BSP's Diamond Jubilee Yearbook from 1936 to September 1996 there are 121,369 Scouts awarded the highest rank by the Boy Scouts of the Philippines.
- Eagle Scout (1936–1962)
- José Rizal Scout (1962–1976)
- Scout Citizen Award (1976–1994)
- Eagle Scout (1994–present)
All awardees are eligible for membership into the Eagle Scouts Organization of the Philippines, the fellowship and service association of all Eagle Scouts from the BSP and from the BSA having Filipino lineage and/or nationality.
The Anahaw Award is a metal Anahaw leaf that is pinned on the ribbon of the Eagle Scout Medal. The award is similar to the Boy Scouts of America's use of Eagle Palms for their Eagle Scout Award. The name derives from Anahaw, a Filipino common name of palm trees in the genus Livistona.
After a Scout has earned the Eagle Scout Rank and before reaching the age of 17 years, he can go on to pursue the Anahaw Award. In addition to the 23 Merit Badges for the Eagle Scout Rank, the Anahaw Award may be granted as follows:
- For any 2 additional Specialist Rating after earning the Eagle Scout Rank - Bronze Anahaw Award.
- For any 2 additional Specialist Rating after earning the Bronze Anahaw Award - Silver Anahaw Award.
- For any 2 additional Specialist Rating after earning the Silver Anahaw Award - Gold Anahaw Award.
The Bronze Anahaw Award shall be given only after at least three-(3) months of active Scouting as an Eagle Scout. Subsequent Anahaw Awards may be made at intervals not less the four-(4) months of tenure following the conferment of an Anahaw Award of lower grade.
In other BSP programs
- Leaping Usa, KAB Scouts
- Chief Scout's Rover, Rover Scouts
In other Scouting organizations
- Chief Girl Scout's Award, Girl Scouts of the Philippines
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- Escoteiro Lis de Ouro, Union of Brazilian Scouts
- Fuji Scout, Scout Association of Japan
- Gold Award, Girl Scouts of the USA
- Pramuka Garuda, Gerakan Pramuka Indonesia
- President's Scout Award, The Singapore Scout Association
- Queen's Scout in the United Kingdom and Australia
- Tiger Scout, Korea Scout Association