Eanes Independent School District
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
||This article is incomplete. (April 2012)|
|Eanes Independent School District|
|Type and location|
|Type||Public School District|
|Grades||Pre-K through 12|
|Superintendent||Nola Wellman, Ph.D.|
|Schools||9 Schools (6 elementary, 2 middle schools, 1 high school)|
Eanes Independent School District (EISD) (pronounced EEN-ss) is a school district headquartered in unincorporated Travis County, Texas (USA), in Greater Austin. Its enrollment is approximately 7,700, distributed among six elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school. All nine schools are rated Exemplary - the highest designation possible - in the State of Texas 2009 accountability ratings, marking the second consecutive year for that accomplishment. The district's overall state is Exemplary, making Eanes ISD one of just two 5A districts in the state to receive that designation in 2009. Only 9.5 percent of districts statewide are rated exemplary. See the bottom of this page for more information about TEA accountability ratings.
The school district encompasses the whole city of Westlake Hills, a majority of Rollingwood, the Lost Creek neighborhood, and parts of Austin including the Cuernavaca neighborhood.
“A log cabin built on property of Robert Eanes (1805-95) in 1872 was the first Eanes school. In 1874 the school was moved to a one-room frame structure on this adjacent 2-acre tract given by William and Sophia Teague. Itinerant Ministers conducted worship service in the Schoolhouse, and a community cemetery was located nearby. Eanes Chapel, organized in 1923 by University Presbyterian Church in Austin, erected a stone building in 1928. It was purchased in 1956 for classrooms. The Eanes Independent School District, created in 1958, is now (1975) a modern educational complex with over 1,800 Students.”  Quote from a plaque located on the current Eanes Elementary Campus.
“The year 1957 proved to be a watershed year for the Eanes community because that year county officials decided to close down the county’s school system. Eanes residents faced two alternatives. They could vote to join the Austin Independent School District or they could go it alone and establish their own system…the voters, on April 12, 1958, opted to stay independent…establishing the Eanes Independent School District” 
Texas nonprofit, Children at Risk, 2014 Greater Austin School District Rankings – Eanes ISD is ranked #3 in the Austin Area and #33 in the State based on Student Achievement, Campus Performance and Growth. 
Technology in Schools
“The Eanes school district will become one the first in the state to distribute iPads to every single one of its students, kindergarten through 12th grade.” Jan. 2013 
Westlake High School
Westlake High School (established 1970) has an enrollment of about 2,400 students. The school is a U.S. Blue Ribbon School and has won the Texas Successful Schools Award for Outstanding Performance. Its principal is Dr. John Carter. The school is a member of the Model Schools initiative. The current recognition by the TEA is under the Exemplary rating, the highest possible.
- Hill Country Middle School (established 1975) has an enrollment of about 900 students. The school was named a U.S. Blue Ribbon School in 1990-91  and has won the Texas Successful Schools Award for Outstanding Performance. Its principal is Mrs. Kathleen Sullivan. (as of 2011). The Assistant Principals are Mr. Felix Grimmett and Ms. Staci Hubbard.
- West Ridge Middle School (established 1987) has an enrollment of about 850 students. The school was named a U.S. Blue Ribbon School in 1992-93  and has won the Texas Successful Schools Award for Outstanding Performance. Its principal is Mr. Steve Ramsey. The Assistant Principals are Ms. Abby Bridges and Ms. Erika Bacon.
- Barton Creek Elementary School (established 1991) - mascot Blue Jays
- Bridge Point Elementary School (established 1997) - mascot Bobcats
- Cedar Creek Elementary School (established 1978) - mascot Eagles (Cedar Creek Eagles)
- Principal: Lisa Streun
- Eanes Elementary School - mascot Mustangs
- Forest Trail Elementary School (established 1984) - mascot Falcons
- Valley View Elementary School (established 1982) - mascot Cardinals
- "Contact Us." Eanes Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2012. "601 Camp Craft Rd, Austin, TX 78746"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: West Lake Hills city, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 31, 2012. (Archive)
- , "Eanes ISD", accessed July 14, 2011
- , "Eanes ISD", accessed July 14, 2011.
- Vance, Linda (1986). EANES Portrait of a Community. p. 2.
- Vance, Linda (1986). EANES Portrait of a Community. p. 90.
- "2014 Greater Austin District Rankings".
- "Texas School District Where Every Student Gets iPad". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF)
- Microsoft Word - list-2003.doc