Earl S. Pomeroy
Earl S. Pomeroy was an American historian. Born in Capitola, California, he received his B.A. from San Jose State College in 1936. He attended the University of California, Berkeley for graduate work, receiving his Ph.D. in 1940 under the direction of Frederic L. Paxson.
From 1942 to 1945, he taught at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. In 1945, he moved to Ohio State University, where he remained until 1949. In that year, he accepted a position at the University of Oregon, where he remained until 1986. He served as the Beekman Professor of History at Oregon. He served on the Department of the Army Historical Advisory Committee. In his time at Oregon, he oversaw 20 doctoral dissertations. These included those of Thomas R. Cox, Wallace Farnham, John Gimbel, Gene M. Gressley, James E. Hendrickson, Richard Ruetten, Peter Simpson,[disambiguation needed] Jacob H. Dorn, and M. S. van Kataramini.
Pomeroy did not stay at Oregon forever however. In 1976 he accepted an appointment at the University of California, San Diego, where he remained until his retirement in 1986.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
Awards and Prizes
- 1942 Beveridge Prize from the American Historian Association (awarded to fund publication of The Territories and the United States)
- 1956 Guggenheim Fellowship for U.S. History
- 1971 President, Pacific Coast Branch, American Historical Association
- 1993 President, Western Historical Association
- The Territories and the United States, 1861–1890: Studies in Colonial Administration (1947)
- Pacific Outpost: Guam and Micronesia in American Strategy (1951)
- "Toward a Reorientation of Western History: Continuity and Environment," in the Mississippi Valley Historical Review 41 (March 1955)
- In Search of the Golden West: The Tourist in Western America (1957)
- "The Changing West," in John Higham, ed., The Reconstruction of American History (1962)
- Pomeroy, Earl. The Pacific Slope: A History Of California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, And Nevada (New edition (2003) ed.). University of Nevada Press. ISBN 978-0874175189.
- Howard Lamar, "Earl Pomeroy, Historian's Historian," Pacific Historical Review Vol. 56, No. 4 (November 1987): 546-560.
- Lamar, "Earl Pomeroy," p. 557.
- Lamar, "Earl Pomeroy," p. 557 n. 40