Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park
Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park (or Earl W. Brydges State Artpark) is located in the Village of Lewiston in Niagara County, New York, named after Earl Brydges. It is generally referred to as Artpark, and was created on the site of a former industrial waste dump. Located on the property is the Lewiston Mound, an archaeological site on the National Register of Historic Places.
This park is a venue of summer musical entertainment. The park also offers picnic tables and pavilions, fishing, hiking, nature trail, a performing arts theater, recreation programs and cross-country skiing.
Artpark was founded in 1974, one year after Robert Smithson's death, and had an artist's residency program in his honor. It became an important site for works of the Land Art movement. It was the site of Alan Sonfist's Pool of Earth, a 25-foot-diameter (7.6 m) clay basin for catching aerial seeds, and projects by several women artists in the 1970s, including Michelle Stuart, Alice Adams and Agnes Denes and Nancy Holt. It continued to be an important laboratory for outdoor sculpture.
Land Art and other visual art at Artpark
- Hydra's Head Nancy Holt 1974
- Bingo Gordon Matta-Clark (also at nearby Love Canal) 1974 
- Pool of Virgin Earth Alan Sonfist  1975
- Niagara Gorge Relocated Michelle Stuart 1975
- Dale Chihuly 1975 
- Rice/Tree/Burial Agnes Denes 1977 (re-creation)
- The Beginnings of a Complex..., Excerpt Shaft #4/ Five Walls Alice Aycock 1977
- Shorings Alice Adams 1978
- Art Park Spoils Pile Reclamation Helen and Newton Harrison: A three-year project sponsored by the New York State Commission for Arts, National Endowment for the Arts, and the National Heritage Trust. (Project also in collaboration with Joshua Harrison).1977-1978
- Omega Owen Morrel 1980
- Merlin's Canopy Merle Temkin 1981
- Newton Discovering Gravity Dennis Oppenheim 1984
- Grande, John K (August 2004). Pool of Virgin Earth. ISBN 978-0-7914-6194-5. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Art Park". Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- Boettger, Suzaan (November 2008). "Excavating Land Art by Women in the 1970s". Sculpture 27 (9): 38–45.
- Brenson, Michael (1987-09-06). "Art View; Sculpture Tests Its Muscles Outdoors". The New York Times (Sep. 6). Retrieved 2008-10-27.
- "Bingo". Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "Artpark 1975" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- Chihuly at Artpark
- New York State Parks: Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park
- Artpark Concert and Venue Information
- Lewiston Public Library
|This article about a location in Niagara County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|