|Traded as||NASDAQ: ELNK|
|Industry||Managed network and cloud services provider, and ISP|
Joseph F. Eazor
|Products||Full suite of managed network and cloud services, plus Consumer ISP|
|Revenue||US$1.2 billion (2013)|
|Website||EarthLink Business, EarthLink.net|
- 1 Business
- 2 History
- 3 Intra-Industry Awards and Recognition
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
EarthLink was formed in 1994. It currently operates two divisions: EarthLink Business and EarthLink Consumer.
EarthLink Business sells communications, IT and virtualization, cloud computing, IT security, colocation, hosted applications and support services. The company owns and operates a U.S. network including 29,421 route miles of fiber, 90 metro fiber rings, and eight data centers. The network covers over 90 percent of the United States. EarthLink Business has more than 150,000 customers.
EarthLink's Consumer division sells broadband (DSL/freestanding DSL, cable internet, 4G Internet, Satellite Internet) dial-up Internet, Web hosting and commerce, and related services. It also sells spamBlocker, Anti-virus and Online Back-up. Earthlink internet services claim over 1 million customers.
On November 21, 2006, EarthLink reported in a press release that its CEO, Garry Betty, was diagnosed with a serious form of cancer which would have required him to take an undetermined leave of absence. The company's Board of Directors named Mike Lunsford, Vice-President of Voice and Access, as interim CEO. Betty died on January 2, 2007. On June 25, 2007, EarthLink named Rolla Huff its President and CEO. On January 29, 2008, EarthLink announced that Rolla Huff would replace Robert Kavner as Chairman of the Board. In January, 2014, Joseph F. Eazor replaced Rolla Huff as President and CEO.
EarthLink Business Network and Data Center Expansion
In July, 2013, EarthLink completed its previously announced plans to open four new data centers in San Jose, Chicago, Dallas and Miami on its next-generation cloud platform. This brought its total to eight.
New EarthLink Business Division, Business Acquisitions
In March 2011 EarthLink also acquired STS Telecom, a privately held business in Florida and Georgia. STS Telecom was integrated into the new EarthLink Business division, along with the recently acquired One Communications and Deltacom, New Edge Networks, and EarthLink’s legacy Business Solutions.
In May 2011 the company created a new EarthLink Carrier division for wholesale customers with fiber-based transport, voice and data service, and switched services.
Also in May, EarthLink acquired LogicalSolutions.net, an enterprise data center solution and cloud services provider.
EarthLink also purchased IT Solution Center and cloud-based application business from Synergy Global Solutions in 2011.
In July, 2013, EarthLink acquired CenterBeam, Inc., a provider of remote managed IT services—with an IT Support Center providing help desk, desktop technical support and application support services.
At the start of 2005, EarthLink and SK Telecom, the largest mobile phone company in South Korea, announced a new joint venture called SK-EarthLink, later renamed Helio mobile phone company. Helio, a new MVNO, or mobile virtual network operator, targeted "young, tech-savvy consumers" with advanced wireless devices and services common in Korea but not the U.S. Helio launched a total of 7 phones (Kickflip, Hero, Drift, Heat, Ocean, Fin and Mysto) and had 170,000 subscribers before it was sold to Virgin Mobile USA in June 2008.
In July 2005, EarthLink closed its in-house call centers to reduce costs.
In September, 2005, Earthlink acquired Aluria Software, LLC-a seller of of Anti-Spyware software, based in Lake Mary, Florida.
In October 2005, Philadelphia, PA, and Anaheim, CA, selected EarthLink to build their municipal Wi-Fi networks. EarthLink's Municipal Networks division would launch public wi-fi networks in Anaheim, Philadelphia, New Orleans, and Milpitas, CA, and win several more municipal contracts before EarthLink decided to exit the muni wi-fi business by the end of 2007.
EarthLink launched two new voice services between late 2005 and early 2006: a VoIP service called EarthLink trueVoice and a high-speed Internet and voice bundle called EarthLink DSL & Home Phone Service.
In April 2006, EarthLink acquired New Edge Networks, a provider of network and communication services for businesses. In June, the EarthLink’s Municipal Networks division launched the company’s first citywide Wi-Fi network in Anaheim, CA.
MindSpring Merger, Other Products
Later that year, the company launched EarthLink Biz DSL service and won PC World’s World Class Award for Best ISP. EarthLink also acquired OneMain.com, a large, rural ISP, and Rural Connections in 2001.
On June 10, 2002, EarthLink acquired PeoplePC, a low-priced dial-up ISP.
The company also won several awards in 2002. EarthLink was named Top ISP by CNet for the 3rd consecutive year and received a 5-star rating from Smart Business. And in August 2002, J.D. Power and Associates ranked EarthLink Dial-Up Highest in Customer Satisfaction. EarthLink High-Speed tied for the Highest in Customer Satisfaction ranking.
EarthLink launched a VoIP phone service for broadband users called Unlimited Voice in April 2003. In August, J.D. Power and Associates ranked EarthLink High Speed Highest in Customer Satisfaction for the second consecutive year. The company also released several free tools for its members to block spam, viruses, and spyware.
In September 2004, J.D. Power and Associates ranked both EarthLink Dial-Up and EarthLink High Speed Highest in Customer Satisfaction. EarthLink Dial-Up also received the PC Magazine Readers’ Choice Award for the second year in a row.
EarthLink Goes Public, Reaches 1 Million Customers
EarthLink went public on NASDAQ in January 1997. Later that year, the company began to provide 56K dial-up access, doubling speed of its dial-up service. EarthLink also teamed up with Charter Communications to offer high-speed cable Internet access.
EarthLink was co-founded in March 1994 by Sky Dayton then 23, investor Reed Slatkin and Kevin M. O'Donnell. Dayton reportedly was inspired to start the dial-up Internet service provider (ISP) in Los Angeles after spending an entire week trying to configure his own computer for Internet access. Dayton’s experience convinced him that there was a market for a simple, user-friendly ISP.
Co-founder Kevin M. O'Donnell helped raise capital for the venture and urged a number of significant old friends from his government technology days to join the Board. He recruited numerous Vice Presidents for the company, and brought in the first major round of funding, from Greg B. Abbott (a successful entrepreneur and former CEO of Ithaca Industries). He also hired CEO Garry Betty
By 1995, EarthLink offered dial-up service in 98 cities, and was one of the first U.S. ISPs to offer "unlimited" Internet access for a flat rate.
In 1996, EarthLink began to offer Internet services for businesses, including ISDN and frame relay Internet access and web hosting. In October, EarthLink was named “Internet Company of the Year” by the Southern California Software Industry Council.
Intra-Industry Awards and Recognition
- Earthlink TechCare recognized with 2014 ACE (Achievement in Customer Excellence) Award for Best Use of Feedback Solutions - May 2014
- For 2nd year running, EarthLink named the #1 global MSP (Managed Service Provider) for 2013 by MSPmentor.
- EarthLink ranked 15th among the world's Top 25 Fastest Growing Cloud Service Providers (CSPs) in Nine Lives Media's Talkin' Cloud 100 report - July, 2013
- EarthLink won the 2013 North American Business Connectivity Award from ATLANTIC-ACM - June, 2013
- CenterBeam, an EarthLink Business company, won a Silver Stevie® award from the American Business Awards (ABA) in June, 2013.
- EarthLink Hosted Voice was named 2012 Product of the Year by INTERNET TELEPHONY.
- EarthLink Business Cloud Hosting won the 2012 Cloud Computing Excellence Award from Cloud Computing Magazine.
- EarthLink's nationwide, private, blended-access MPLS network was awarded a 2012 Next Generation Networks Leadership Award by Internet Telephony and Next Gen Mobility magazines.
- EarthLink Complete Hosted Voice and EarthLink Complete MPLS were awarded Communications Solutions Product of the Year Award for 2012 by TMC.
- The EarthLink Complete Hosted Voice and EarthLink Complete SIP Trunking were recipients of TMCnet's 2011 Internet Telephony Product of the Year Award for Innovation.
- "Corporate Profile". About Earthlink. EarthLink. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "About Us". EarthLink. Retrieved January 7, 2012.
- Keefe, Bob. "EarthLink: Illness Drives Leader Shuffle." Atlanta Journal-Constitution. November 22, 2006. Business Section 1C.
- Roberts, Paul F (January 3, 2007). "EarthLink CEO Betty dead at 49". InfoWorld. Retrieved January 3, 2007.
- Gaffikin, Brigid (January 28, 2008). "EarthLink names CEO Rolla Huff board chair". Tradingmarkets.com. Retrieved March 7, 2008.
- "EarthLink to Acquire Deltacom for $516M". Fox Business. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink Buys Telecom Services Company One Communications For $370 Million". Techrunch. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink Completes Acquisition of STS Telecom Adds Hosted VoIP Expertise to EarthLink Business Product Portfolio". Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink launches EarthLink Carrier". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink Acquires LogicalSolutions.net". Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OS24E81.htm". Businessweek.com. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink acquires xDefenders". TelecomPaper. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink Completes Acquisition of IT Solution Center from Synergy Global Solutions". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Couret, Jacques. "EarthLink acquires CenterBeam". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "South Korea: SK Telecom Goes LTE". DailyWireless.org. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink announces joint venture with SK Telecom". Wireless Industry News. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Reardon, Marguerite. "Virgin Mobile USA buys Helio for $39 million". Cnet. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Husted, Bill (July 26, 2005). "EarthLink to cut 180 customer service workers Work to be outsourced overseas". Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- "Philadelphia Picks EarthLink for Wi-Fi". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink wins second muni Wi-Fi contract". Connected Planet. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Reardon, Marguerite. "EarthLink rolls out more citywide Wi-Fi". Cnet. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "Philadelphia Wi-Fi project now in jeopardy, EarthLink may back out". Beta News. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "Earthlink launches trueVoice a national broadband VoIP service". Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "Earthlink Launches DSL, VOIP". Light Reading. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "EarthLink Acquires Virtual Private Network Company, New Edge Networks". The Hosting News. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink Launches The City Of Anaheim Municipal Wireless Network". PR Newswire. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Kaplan, Karen. "EarthLink, MindSpring Agree to Merge : Technology: The combination would create 2nd-largest Internet service provider.". LATimes.com. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- "IDG's PC World Announces 2000 World Class Award Winners". PR Newswire. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Rural Connections (February 23, 2001). "IMPORTANT - Information on Your Rural Connections Account". Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "EarthLink launches satellite Internet service". CNN Tech. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink offers DSL users fixed IP address option". Macworld. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink's History". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "J.D. Power and Associates Reports: EarthLink Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Dial-Up Internet Service Providers. Source: http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/operations-customer/5922001-1.html#ixzz1jC8Lx9NQ". All Business. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink Introduces EarthLink Unlimited Voice Broadband Telephone Service; EarthLink Becomes First Major Nationwide ISP to Deploy Full-Scale Voice-over- IP Solution to End-Users". The Free Library. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink High Speed Internet Service Ranked Highest in Customer Satisfaction By J.D. Power and Associates". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink Launches Virus Blocker". PR Newswire. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "J.D. Power: Customers rank EarthLink as top ISP". CED. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Earthlink Inc". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- Borland, John. "The ultimate ISP survivor faces a crossroads in broadband". Cnet.
- "EarthLink Inc". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "REPEAT/EARTHLINK CUTS UNIQUE DOMAIN WEB SITE HOSTING SET UP FEE BY MORE THAN $800". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EARTHLINK NETWORK SELECTED AS INTERNET COMPANY OF THE YEAR". Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "EarthLink Ranks Among Fastest Growing Cloud Service Providers in Annual Talkin' Cloud 100 Report". IT Business Net. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "ATLANTIC-ACM Delivers 2013 North American Business Connectivity Awards". ATLANTIC-ACM. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "CenterBeam Honored as Silver Stevie(R) Award Winner in 2013 American Business Awards(SM)". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "2013: Top 501 Managed Services Providers List". MSPmentor. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Announcing the 2012 INTERNET TELEPHONY Product of the Year Award Winners". TMC News. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- O'Connor, Pamela. "EarthLink Earns Awards from Miami Latin Chamber of Commerce, Cloud Computing magazine". EarthLink. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "2012 NGN Leadership Award Winners Announced by INTERNET TELPHONY Magazine". TMCnet News. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "EarthLink Recognized with Product of the Year and Leadership Awards". EarthLink. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Oborn, Patrick. "EarthLink Business Earns Two Product of the Year Awards for Innovation". Telarus Telecom Industry News. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- Armstrong, Larry (December 15, 1997). "The Mac of Internet providers". Business Week. Retrieved March 8, 2008.
- Learmonth, Michael (March 19, 1998). "EarthLink & Scientology". Metroactive News & Issues. Metro Newspapers. Retrieved March 8, 2008.
- Rafter, Michelle V. (May 28, 1998). "EarthLink Connects". The Industry Standard. Retrieved March 8, 2008.
- EarthLink Business (IT, IP, Communication)
- EarthLink (Consumer Internet Services)
- EarthLink Cloud (Cloud Hosting)
- EarthLink Web Hosting