East African Railway Master Plan
The East African Railway Master Plan is a proposal for rejuvenating existing railways serving Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and extending them initially to Rwanda and Burundi and eventually to South Sudan, Ethiopia and beyond. The plan is managed by infrastructure ministers from participating East African Community countries in association with transport consultation firm CPCS Transcom.
East Africa, and indeed Africa in general, uses several gauges which would cause problems if railways of different gauges meet. The following gauges are used by existing railways in the area:
- 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge Tanzania (south), Zambia, Mozambique, South Sudan, Sudan.
- 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) Meter gauge Tanzania (north), Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia.
- 950 mm (3 ft 1 3⁄8 in) Eritrea
- 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) Standard gauge various new and rebuilt lines
- Mombasa-Bujumbura Line; passes through Nairobi, Rongai, Tororo, Kampala and Kigali.
- Nairobi-Addis Ababa Line; passes through Garissa.
- Lamu-Juba Line; passes through Garissa.
- Nairobi-Juba Line; passes through Garissa.
- Nairobi-Kisumu Line; passes through Rongai
- Kampala-Kisangani Line; passes through Kasese
- Kisangani-Bujumbura Line; passes through Kasese, Kampala, and Kigali
- Tororo-Juba Line; passes through Gulu, with spur to Pakwach at Gulu.
- Kisumu-Juba Line; passes through Rongai
- Kampala-Juba Line; passes through Tororo, and Gulu
- Juba-Addis Ababa Line; passes through Garissa
- May 2014, signing ceremony for funding of the construction of the Standard gauge Mombasa-Nairobi section between the government of Kenya and the government of the People's Republic of China.
- Map Showing the Proposed Railway Lines Across East Africa At Bbc.co.uk
- Map of the Standard Gauge Mombasa-Bujumbura Railway Line At Railpage.com.au
- Burundi Map
- Rwanda Map
- Tanzania Map
- Kenya Map
- Uganda Map
- Sambu, Zeddy (29 April 2008). "East Africa: Countries Move to Upgrade Railway Network". Business Daily (South Africa). Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Muramira, Gashegu (20 April 2009). "East Africa: EAC Railway Master Plan to Be Redesigned". New Times (Rwanda). Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "China To Build Railway Linking East Africa". Agence France-Presse via Aljazeera.com. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Map of Proposed New East African Railway System". BBC News. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Kenya Launches New Railway to Reach South Sudan and Burundi, BBC News, 28 November 2013, retrieved 13 May 2014
- Mumo, Muthoki (5 September 2013). "Sh319bn China Funds to Build High-Speed Railway to Burundi". Daily Nation Mobile. Retrieved 13 May 2014.