East Anchorage High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|East High School|
|4025 East Northern Lights Boulevard
Anchorage, Alaska, 99508
|School type||Public School high school|
|School district||Anchorage School District|
|Hours in school day||6.5|
|Color(s)||Red and Blue|
|Fight song||East High School Song|
East Anchorage High School (EAHS) is a public high school in Anchorage, Alaska, and part of the Anchorage School District. The current principal is Sam Spinella. With an enrollment of 2,161 as of October 1, 2014, East High School is the largest school in Anchorage and in all of Alaska.
East High School lies in the heart of the Anchorage greenbelt offering spectacular views of the Chugach Mountains to the east and Mount McKinley to the north. The school opened in 1961 and it is the second oldest high school in the city. East High was also the home of Benson Junior High (named for Benny Benson, who drew the winning design for the Alaska State flag) for a period of time in the seventies. The 'new' part was built for East High and Benson Junior High (gym parking lot side). That is the reason for the "new" gym. The gym floor was state-of-the-art at the time. The old gym is now the current library.
Since its early years, EHS has become highly regarded for its varied cultural, socioeconomic, and multi-ethnic student body that celebrates the differences of its 2200 students. It meets these needs through a wide variety of course offerings and alternative programs.
The staff of approximately 200 teachers and support personnel combines their talent to propel their students into a district-wide position of leadership and academic excellence.
- Scott Gomez (ca. 1997), NHL player currently playing with the Florida Panthers
- Trajan Langdon (1994), former professional basketball player who spent three seasons with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Sean Parnell (1980), current Governor of Alaska
- Kikkan Randall (2001), Olympic skier
- John Roderick (ca. 1986), musician
- Mao Tosi (1994) Arizona Cardinals (ca. 2000)
- "Scott Gomez, Panthers - Stats - NHL.com - Players". National Hockey League. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- "Alaska Governor Sean Parnell". National Governors Association. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "Bio". Kikkan Randall Official Website. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- http://www.merlinmann.com/roderick/ep-14-big-city-apology.html . Approximate timestamp 1:23:30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to East Anchorage High School.|