East China University of Science and Technology
|East China University of Science and Technology|
|President||Dr. Qian, Xuhong (钱旭红)|
East China University of Science and Technology, originally named East China Institute of Chemical Technology (华东化工学院, was founded in 1952. It was the first single-subject institute in China, consolidated by the chemistry departments of National Chiaotung University, Université d'Aurora, Utopia University, Soochow University, and Yangtze University. It was designated as a national key university by the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party in 1960 and renamed to its current name in 1993. With the effort of half a century, the university has developed itself into a national key university with technology as the major subject, distinct characteristics of each subject and a coordinated development of subjects including technology, science, economics, administration, humanities and law.
ECUST has been a member of the project 211 since 1996. It has become one of the key universities to develop "Innovation Platform for Key Disciplines” or project 985 Innovation Platform in 2008. Clean Coal Technology and Petroleum & Chemical Technology as key discipline in ECUST proposed to be first-class in Asia and renowned across the world was funded by the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance and Shanghai Municipal Government in 2008-2010.
ECUST has three campuses: one in Xuhui District, one in Fengxian District, and one in Jinshan District. As one of Shanghai’s Garden Units, the university has beautiful campuses, occupying more than 1.767 million square meters with an elegant environment and green scenery. Buildings on campuses cover about 816,000 square meters, including some standard physical training establishments like gymnasium, swimming pool and plastic ground track field.
The university library possesses 2.5 million books, 18,000 periodicals, some 48 CD databases like CA & EI and the complete American patent minimized films. ECUST is the head of information cooperation networks among academics of chemical technology around China, the Shanghai branch of Beijing Library CD Information Center, the Workstation of Scientific Program Consultation and Innovation Investigation Center of the Education Ministry, the Center of Foreign Language Textbooks in Shanghai, etc. The Analyzing & Testing Center and Jewellery Inspecting Center boast national authorized computation and attestation centers.
The university has 15 academic schools:
- School of Chemical Engineering
- School of Bioengineering
- School of Chemistry & Molecular Engineering
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Material Science & Engineering
- School of Information Science and Engineering
- School of Mechanical & Power Engineering
- School of Resource & Environment Engineering
- School of Science
- School of Business
- School of Social & Public Administration
- School of Art-Designing & Mass media Chinese version
- School of Foreign Studies
- School of law Chinese version
- school of sports science and Engineering Chinese Version
Besides, it has School of Online Education, College of International Education, College of Continuing Education, Sino-German College of Technology, Department of Excellent Students in Science and Technology, and Institute of Literae Humaniores.
Academic fields of ECUST cover 11 branches and 38 subjects. The university now has 59 specialties for undergraduate studies, and it is entitled to confer master’s degrees in 121 programs, doctoral degrees in 73 programs, 'Master of Engineering' Degrees in 18 programs as well as MBA program, MPA program, Normal degree program for college teachers and nine post-doctoral centers. There are seven national key subjects and 10 Shanghai key subjects among the ECUST academic units.
ECUST has attached great importance to international cooperation and communication and have established long-term academic communication relationships with more than 60 universities, enterprises, and research institutes in America, Japan, France, Germany, Australia, Canada and Korea.
Students and staff 
The total number of full-time students has reached over 24,700 including 16,355 undergraduates, 6,902 postgraduates for master's degrees, 1,440 Ph.D. candidates. Besides, more and more young scholars are striding on their way to prosperity, among them six being granted Scientific Elites of Shanghai, one granted youth of outstanding ability of Shanghai, 32 selected as candidates in the Program of Outstanding Talents in the 21st Century.
Among its over 3,550 staff members, there are four members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering, six scientists-in-chief of 973(The National Basic Research Program) in China, 13 Cheung Kong Scholar Program professors, 11 national excellent scholars, 13 gainers of the Fund of National Outstanding Young Scientists, 11 gainers of the Fund of National Excellent Young Teacher, over 1,000 professors and associate professors.
Over 100,000 students have graduated from ECUST; thirteen of them have been selected as the members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering, many of them have become leaders in all levels of governments, and many have become experts in universities, scientific institutes and companies.
ECUST Park 
The university has a Research Park called ECUST Park which includes 53 academic institutes, 8 national academic bases and 16 provincial research bases. ECUST is among one of the six universities that are firstly authorized as the national technology transference centers. In recent years, 1300 full-time and part-time researchers in ECUST have been conducting more than 1000 research programs each year with their research fund rising from 100 million RMB in 2001 to 200 million in 2004 and to over 400 million in 2009. Many new techniques have been industrialized and made great lucrative and social profits, including GMT compound material, fine carbon, manmade bone cement, SO2 reusing, dry coal powder-gasification, new self-control zymolysising kettle.
Key Laboratories and Engineering Centers 
State Key Laboratories and National Engineering Centers 
- State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering
- The State Key Laboratory of Chemical Engineering (Reaction Engineering Section) first state key lab of Chemical Engineering joined by Tianjin University, Tsinghua University and Zhejiang University; open to public in 1991
- National Engineering Center of Ultrafine Powder
- National Engineering Center of biotechnology (shanghai section)
- [National Engineering Research Center for Integrated Utilization of Salt Lake Resources, 国家盐湖资源综合利用工程技术研究中心]
Key Laboratories of Provincial Level and Ministerial Level 
- Key Laboratory for Ultrafine Materials of Ministry of Education
- key Laboratory of Coal Gasification of Ministry of Education
- key Laboratory of safety science of pressured system of Ministry of Education
- Key Laboratory of Specially Functional Polymeric Materials and Related Technology, 特种功能高分子材料及相关技术教育部重点实验室
- Shanghai Key Laboratory of Advanced Polymeric Materials, 上海市先进聚合物材料重点实验室
- [Shanghai Key Laboratory of Functional Materials Chemistry 上海市功能性材料化学重点实验室]
- State Environmental Protection Key Laboratory of Environmental Risk Assessment and Control on Chemical Process, 国家环境保护化工过程环境风险评价与控制重点实验室
- Shanghai Key Lab of Chemical Biology
- [ Key Laboratory of Advanced Control and Optimization for Chemical Processes, Ministry of Education 化工过程先进控制和优化技术教育部重点实验室 ]
Research Center of Provincial Level and Ministerial Level 
- Engineering center for Biomedical Materials, Ministry of Education
- Engineering Research Center of Pharmaceutical Process Chemistry, Ministry of Education
- Engineering Research Center of Large Scale Reactor Engineering and Technology, Ministry of Education Chinese version 大型工业反应器工程教育部工程中心
- Engineering center for Process and System, Ministry of Education Chinese version 过程系统工程教育部工程研究中心
- Engineering Center of Efficient Green Process Equipment and Energy Conservation, Ministry of Education 绿色高效过程装备与节能教育部工程研究中心
- "Innovation Platform for Key Disciplines" funded by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance with the project 985 got into the “Construction Program of China’s High-level Universities”.
- East China University of Science and Technology Website
- ECUST alumni website in North America
- ECUST BBS
- Fengxian campus 3d map
- Meilong campus 3D map
- MITBBS ECUST Band