East Coast Economic Region
East Coast Economic Region (ECER) (Malay: Wilayah Ekonomi Pantai Timur or Korridor Pantai Timur) is a new economic development corridor in Malaysia based on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia - which covers states of Kelantan, Terengganu, Pahang and the north of Mersing district of Johor. ECER is also one of the three development regions formed in Peninsular Malaysia, other development regions being the Iskandar Malaysia (formerly known as Iskandar Development Region and South Johor Economic Region) and the Northern Corridor Economic Region (NCER). The ECER initiative will span for 12 years starting from 2007. The master planner for ECER is Malaysia-owned oil and gas company, Petronas.
The ECER was launched by Malaysia's Prime Minister, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi in Kuala Terengganu and Kota Bharu on October 30, 2007 and in Kuantan the next day. During the launch of the project, the Prime Minister announced a RM 6 billion allocation for the opening phase of the project, strengthening the Malaysian government's commitment to the project.
|“||We want to ensure that no Malaysian, including the people in Pahang, is left behind in the national development mainstream, we want the prosperity achieved by "Pahang Darul Makmur" to be clearly and fairly reflected, - Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, then Prime Minister of Malaysia.||”|
A four member secretariat has been set up in Terengganu to monitor the progress of the project and develop the master plan. Details of the Master Plan has yet to be released as details are still being worked out between the states and the Master Planner which is Petronas. It is expected they will meet up once a week.
With the creation of the East Coast Economic Region, nearly the whole of Peninsular Malaysia has been converted into Economic Regions with the exceptions being Northern Johor, Southern Perak and Southern Negeri Sembilan.
- Update the railway system and to connect railway line from Mentakab – Kuantan – Kuala Terengganu – Tanah Merah/Pasir Mas
- Update the railway system and to connect railway line from Tanah Merah/Pasir Mas – Butterworth and Kuala Lumpur – Mentakab
- Phase 3 - Connection between Kuala Terengganu and Kota Bharu, ending in Pengkalan Kubor
- Phase 4 - Connection between Kuantan and Johor
Other development plans are:-
- Upgrading Central Spine Federal Road ( Kota Bharu - Gua Musang – Kuala Lipis – Karak – Kuala Pilah - Seremban )
- Upgrading current coastal roads and building new coastal roads.
- Upgrading current facilities of airport in Kuala Terengganu to international airport status.
- Upgrading current facilities of airports in Kuantan and Kota Bharu
- Expansion and upgrading of Kuantan and Kemaman Ports
- Construction of Lebir Dam in Kelantan to ensure sufficient potable water supply
- Laying fiber optic cables along major towns
- Upgrade current facilities and constructing new ones to manage solid wastes
- Flood mitigation projects in Kelantan and Terengganu
- Protection against coastal erosion
- Ninth Malaysia Plan
- Iskandar Malaysia
- Northern Corridor Economic Region
- Sabah Development Corridor
- Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy
- East Coast Development Region Development Corporation (ECERDC) official website
- Invest In Pahang official portal (English)
- Pahang State Development Corporation (PSDC) official website (Malay)
- Pahang Pasdec Holdings Berhad official website (English)
- Pahang State official website (Malay) and (English)
- Kuantan Municipal Council official website (Malay) and (English)
- Johor State official website (Malay)
- Kelantan State official website (Malay)
- Terengganu State official website (Malay) and (English)
Notes and references
- The Star Online: September 20, 2007 Investing on roads in ECER
- Bernama: September 19, 2007 40% Of RM112 Billion In ECER Funds For Transportation & Infrastructure
- The Star Online:October 29, 2007 RM6b allocated for high-impact projects in ECER
- Bernama: October 30, 2007 Reduce Bureaucracy, Ensure Smooth ECER Implementation
- The Star Online: November 17 2007 Four-member secretariat to work out ECER details