East Coast FM
|Broadcast area||Wicklow and Environs|
|Slogan||Wicklow's favourite radio station|
|Frequency||94.9 MHz, 96.2 MHz, 99.9 MHz, 102.9 MHz and 104.4 MHz (Arklow)|
|First air date||21 October 1989|
|Owner||East Coast Radio Limited|
East Coast FM (formerly known as BLB, Horizon FM, then East Coast Radio) is an Irish local radio station broadcasting from Bray, County Wicklow under a sound broadcasting contract from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
The station operates in County Wicklow and into the adjoining counties of Dublin, Kildare, Carlow and Wexford, broadcasting on the following frequencies: 94.9 FM, 96.2 FM, 99.9 FM, 102.9 FM and 104.4 FM in Arklow. To achieve coverage of all of its franchise area, it requires six transmitters including stations at Bray Head, Wicklow Head, Avoca, Arklow, Baltinglass and a transmitter located at Slieve Thoul in Saggart County Dublin where the Wicklow, Kildare and Dublin borders meet.
East Coast FM began as BLB (Bray Local Broadcasting) as an unlicenced operator and was launched as "Horizon Radio" when it received a licence from The Independent Radio & Television Commission (now known as The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland).
In 2002, The station was renamed from "East Coast Radio" to "East Coast FM" and they moved from its Victorian premises at Prince of Wales Terrace on Quinsboro Road, Bray (where it had been located since 1985) to a state-of-the-art Radio centre complex in Ballywaltrim, Bray. The station is located on Killarney Road. BLB had operated out of a rooftop office on top of what is now Katie Gallagher's pub on Strand Road in the early 1980s.
East Coast FM is owned by East Coast Radio Limited. Denis O'Brien's Communicorp group, is a former shareholder in the station - it was a shareholder from 1998 to 2008. East Coast FM has the largest weekly reach (49%) of any station measured in County Wicklow.
East Coast FM broadcasts from its studios in The Bridgewater Shopping Centre, Arklow, Co. Wicklow some Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons for "The Big Weekend" with presenter Ian Garland or Andy Clarke, in the main hall.
Outside Broadcast Unit
In 2014 the station acquired and Outside Broadcast vehicle, A Mercedes Sprinter which has been seen regularly over the Summer months in Co.Wicklow.
- Mark Robinson programme director ("Sunday Mornings")
- Rob G ("Freshly Squeezed" Mon-Fri)
- Laura Wood ("Freshly Squeezed" Mon-Fri)
- Declan Meehan ("The Morning Show")
- Ryan O'Neill ("East Coast Drive")
- Paul Byrne ("East Coast On Demand" Mon-Thurs & "Freshly Squeezed Extra"Sat Mornings)
- Claire Darmady ("The Best of The Morning Show")
- Tommy Greene ("East Coast Lunch" & "Solid Gold Sunday")
- John Hughes ("Love Tonight Mon - Thurs")
- Traic O'Braonáin ("Love Tonight as gaeilge" Sunday Nights)
- Don Swift ("The Don Swift Show" Sunday Mornings)
- Michael Sargeant ("Sunday Night Sport")
- Ian Garland ("Saturday Mid-Morning")
- Andy Clarke ("Fill-In")
- David Dunne ("Overnights")
- Gareth Farrell (Head of News)
- Aengus Cox
- Lise Jolley
- Karen Carthy
- Michelle McMullan
- Cliodhna Russell