East La Mirada, California
|East La Mirada|
|— census-designated place —|
|Los Angeles County, California.|
|• Total||1.090 sq mi (2.824 km2)|
|• Land||1.090 sq mi (2.824 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||226 ft (69 m)|
|• Density||9,000/sq mi ( 3,500/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867017|
East La Mirada is located at (33.924403, -117.988975).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that East La Mirada had a population of 9,757. The population density was 8,947.4 people per square mile (3,454.6/km²). The racial makeup of East La Mirada was 7,022 (72.0%) White, 178 (1.8%) African American, 78 (0.8%) Native American, 462 (4.7%) Asian, 20 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 1,557 (16.0%) from other races, and 440 (4.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4,907 persons (50.3%).
The Census reported that 9,742 people (99.8% of the population) lived in households, 15 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 3,295 households, out of which 1,298 (39.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 1,826 (55.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 479 (14.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 201 (6.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 195 (5.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 21 (0.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 619 households (18.8%) were made up of individuals and 303 (9.2%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.96. There were 2,506 families (76.1% of all households); the average family size was 3.36.
The population was spread out with 2,356 people (24.1%) under the age of 18, 1,117 people (11.4%) aged 18 to 24, 2,636 people (27.0%) aged 25 to 44, 2,389 people (24.5%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,259 people (12.9%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36.2 years. For every 100 females there were 94.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.9 males.
There were 3,391 housing units at an average density of 3,109.6 per square mile (1,200.6/km²), of which 2,125 (64.5%) were owner-occupied, and 1,170 (35.5%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.6%. 6,598 people (67.6% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 3,144 people (32.2%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,538 people, 3,321 households, and 2,480 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 8,559.0 inhabitants per square mile (3,317.7/km²). There were 3,382 housing units at an average density of 3,034.9 per square mile (1,176.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 75.29% White, 1.79% Black or African American, 0.77% Native American, 3.65% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 13.48% from other races, and 4.89% from two or more races. 38.16% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,321 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.1% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.3% were non-families. 19.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.32.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 30.0% from 25 to 44, 20.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $51,440, and the median income for a family was $59,063. Males had a median income of $46,395 versus $31,670 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $20,613. About 4.3% of families and 5.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and 10.3% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature East La Mirada is located in the 30th Senate District, represented by Democrat Ronald S. Calderon, and in the 58th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Charles M. Calderon. Federally, East La Mirada is located in California's 39th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of D +13 and is represented by Democrat Linda Sánchez.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-17.
- http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL1.ST13&prodType=table US Census Bureau
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.