East Lake (Wuhan)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
East Lake (Chinese: 东湖; pinyin: Dōng Hú) is a large lake within the city limits of Wuhan, China, and the largest urban lake in China. Wuhan's East Lake covers an area of 33 square kilometers. It was designated as one of the 4A tourist zones of China in 2000. East Lake has a bird sanctuary, botanical garden, museums, boat rides, fishing, cycling, a public aquarium, and other activities for locals and tourists alike.
 Notable sites around the lake
In clockwise order, starting from the southwest corner:
- Liyuan Park - a large urban park on the west side of the lake, with a popular free swimming area
- Hubei Provincial Museum
- Hubei Art Museum; the two museums are across the street from each other, just a block from the main entrance to Liyuan Park
- Wuhan Donghu Ocean Aquarium, proud of its flock of penguins
- Wuhan Railway Station - a few km northeast of the lake
- Moshan ("Millstone Mountain") Scenic Area, including East Lake Cherry Blossom Park
- The "Chu Castle" (楚城)
- Wuhan Botanical Garden
- China University of Geosciences, Wuhan Campus
- "Ba Yi" ("First of August") open-air swimming pool
- Houshan (Monkey Mountain)
- Wuhan University main campus
Several causeways cross the eastern part of the lake, providing access to recreational fishing sites and beaches. In 2012, the construction of a major 6-lane road across the lake (Donghu Tongdao) was started; it is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.
In 2010, plans for extensive new development on the lake shores caused widespread criticism among the citizenry.
 Image gallery
The East Lake has long been used by local fishermen. According to the 1977 statistics, the annual fish yield of the 1500-hectare fishing area of the lake ("The East lake Fish Farm") was 450 kg/ha. The introduction of better fish management techniques have allowed the yields to increase in the following decade, with 1840 tons by 1995.
 See also
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: East Lake (Wuhan)|
- Little penguin in Wuhan aquarium, Xinhua, 2007-01-02
- Chu castle on Mo Mountain in Wuhan
- 图文：东湖通道开工 计划后年通车, 2012-10-28
- The Battle for East Lake in Wuhan, 13 April 2010
- American Oceanography Delegation, Committee on Scholarly Communication with the People's Republic of China (1980), Oceanography in China: a trip report of the American Oceanography Delegation submitted to the Committee on Scholarly Communication with the People's Republic of China, Issue 9 of CSCPRC report, Committee on Scholarly Communication with the People's Republic of China (U.S.)., National Academies, p. 13
- Li, Wenhua (2001), Agro-ecological farming systems in China, Volume 26 of Man and the biosphere series, Taylor & Francis, pp. 73–76, ISBN 92-3-103784-6 Unknown parameter