East Leyden High School
|East Leyden High School|
What's best for the kids
|3400 Rose St.
Franklin Park, Illinois, 60131
|School district||Leyden H.S. Dist. 212|
|Superintendent||Dr. Nicholas Polyak|
|Principal||Mr. Jason Markey|
|Staff||148 (including District Staff from West)|
|Average class size||19.6|
|Athletics conference||West Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores||19.8|
Together with West Leyden High School in Northlake, Illinois, they serve the suburban communities in Franklin Park, Northlake, Rosemont, Schiller Park, River Grove, Melrose Park and unincorporated Leyden Township. Both are part Leyden High School District 212.
East Leyden's class of 2008 had an average composite ACT score of 19.8, 0.7 points below the state average. 86.1% of the senior class graduated. East Leyden did not make Adequate Yearly Progress on the Prairie State Achievements Examination, which with the ACT comprises the state assessments used to fulfill the federal No Child Left Behind Act. Overall, the school did not achieve AYP in reading, and one student subgroup failed to meet expectations in reading and mathematics.
West Leyden and East Leyden have competed as a combined athletic program since the 1981—82 school year. The school competes in the West Suburban Conference. It is also a full member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which governs most sports and competitive activities in Illinois. Teams are stylized as the "Eagles", with the IHSA referring to the combined program as "Franklin Park-Northlake (Leyden)".
The school sponsors interscholastic sports teams for young men and women in: basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball. Young men may also compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while women may compete in badminton, bowling, cheerleading, and softball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the Athletic Department also oversees a dance team for young women.
The following teams have finished in the top four of their respective IHSA sponsored state championship tournament or meet:
- Cross Country (boys): 4th place (1951—52)
- Football: State Champions (1977—78)
- Golf (boys): 4th place (1954—55)
- Gymnastics (boys): 4th place (1960—61)
- Wrestling: 3rd place (1974—75, 76—77, 85—86); 2nd place (1967—68, 71—72, 84—85); State Champions (1959—60, 77—78)
- Brenda Barnes (class of 1971) is the president and CEO of Sara Lee Foods and former CEO (and first female head) of PepsiCo. As recently as 2006, Forbes Magazine listed her as one of the ten most powerful women on Earth.
- Jonathan Cain (class of 1968) is a keyboardist and songwriter for the American rock band Journey.
- Ned Colletti (class of 1972) is a Major League Baseball executive, currently the general manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Tom Dore (class of 1975) is a play-by-play announcer who formerly worked for the Chicago Bulls.
- Dan Galorath, chief architect of SEER-SEM project management software and CEO of Galorath Inc. 
- Glen Grunwald is an NBA executive. Formerly the general manager of the Toronto Raptors (1998—2004), he is currently a vice president for the New York Knicks.
- Jimmy Rodgers is a basketball coach, most noted for being head coach of the Boston Celtics (1988—90) and Minnesota Timberwolves (1991—92).
- Mike Shanahan (class of 1970) is the former college and NFL coach, most notable for his years as head coach of the Denver Broncos, whom he led to the championship of Super Bowl XXXII and Super Bowl XXXIII.
- Craig Wilson (class of 1988) was a Major League Baseball infielder (1998—2000), playing for the Chicago White Sox. He was also a member of the 1992 team which participated in the 1992 Summer Olympics.
- Charles Farina was the school's wrestling coach (1954—90), who was elected into the National Federation of State High School Associations Hall of Fame in 1987. His 592 wins and nine undefeated seasons at Leyden are Illinois high school records for a single school.
- Jerry Wainwright was the assistant basketball coach at Leyden (1975—78). In 2005, he became the head coach for the men's basketball team at DePaul University.
- Administrative directory for Leyden HS District 212; accessed 11 August 2013
- Leyden HS District 212 faculty directory; accessed 11 August 2013
- Class of 2008 school report card; accessed 16 July 2009
- School information for Leyden HS; ihsa.org; accessed 16 July 2009
- HiLites homepage; accessed 16 July 2009
- About the District; District 212 has two high schools (East & West Leyden) and one combined athletic program. The athletic merger took place in 1981.; accessed 16 July 2009
- Athletic Department at Leyden HS; accessed 16 July 2009
- Season summaries for Leyden; ihsa.org; accessed 16 July 2009
- Schmeltzer, John; Former PepsiCo Head Takes Over Sara Lee; 28 October 2005; Chicago Tribune; Now Barnes, who was voted most likely to succeed at East Leyden High School, will have to make sure she is the last one standing when Sara Lee completes its return to its food company roots.; accessed 16 July 2009
- Biography of Jonathan Cain; jonathancain.com; accessed 16 July 2009
- Olvera, Jennifer; Journey rocker honored at East Leyden High School; 12 May 2004; Elm Leaves; Loving his new locale, Cain went on to attend East Leyden High School in Franklin Park; accessed 16 July 2009
- Henson, Steve; Beyond the Lunch Pail; 26 September 2006; Los Angeles Times; Colletti steered the car into the parking lot of East Leyden High and recalled a moment when the noise became so deafening he thought his head would burst. It was 1972 and he stood in his counselor's office, asking about college.; accessed 16 July 2009
- Tom Dore biography; nba.com; accessed 16 July 2009
- Project Management Challenge 2006 Biography"  Accessed 6 May 2009
- Bell, Taylor; Gloray Days Illinois - Legends of Illinois High School Basketball; pp. 118—120; section titled: Glen Grunwald: East Leyden High SchoolSports publishing LLC; 2006
- Bell, Taylor; East Leyden remembers Celts' Rodgers; 19 June 1988; Chicago Sun-Times; accessed 16 July 2009
- Haugh, David; Bears’ so-so season won’t cost Lovie Smith his job — for ‘09 at least; 3 January 2009; Chicago Tribune; unemployed former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan’s jewelry collection includes a 1970 class ring from East Leyden High School in addition to two Super Bowl rings; accessed 16 July 2009
- Craig Wilson stats & bio; thebaseballcube.com; accessed 16 July 2009
- List of NFHS Hall of Fame by year; accessed 16 July 2009
- Former Wrestler Charles Farina Dies At 75; 17 October 2003; press release, Purdue University Athletic Department; accessed 16 July 2009
- Mendieta, Ana; Charles Farina, 75, East Leyden wrestling coach; 21 October 2003; Chicago Sun-Times; accessed 16 July 2009
- Wrestling all-time records; ihsa.org; accessed 16 July 2009
- Maciaszek, Marty; Goodman's floored by Leyden's court decision; 5 February 2009; Daily Herald; DePaul coach Jerry Wainwright is a former Goodman assistant; accessed 16 July 2009