East Passyunk Crossing, Philadelphia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
|East Passyunk Crossing|
|Neighborhood of Philadelphia|
|Area code(s)||Area code 215|
The New Gayborhood
Joseph F. Marino, co-chair of the East Passyunk Crossing Civic Association and Town Watch said, "When I was a boy, there were maybe three gay men in the neighborhood. Now there are three on every block."
Civic association and town watch
The East Passyunk Crossing Civic Association and Town Watch, Inc. aims to "advance the civic pride and preserve the historic integrity" of the area.
The organization's activities are directed by five standing committees: Beautification (Clean and Green), Public Safety/Town Watch, Zoning/Planning, Community Relations (Marketing and Events) and Membership. Activities include monthly street clean-ups, neighborhood fairs, weekly Town Watch patrols and representation at local Zoning Board Commission hearings.
In addition to significant upgrades to the "gate" area of East Passyunk Ave., an effort is currently underway to raise funds to erect a statue at 13th and Passyunk honoring World Middleweight boxing champion Joey Giardello.
- Main Street Programs in the United States
- Angelo Bruno, head of the Philadelphia Crime Family who lived at 10th and Snyder.
- "EPX civic expands boundaries east to 6th Street". passyunkpost.com. 2014-05-24. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- Colletta, Jen. Philadelphia Gay News, "Out on The Avenue: East Passyunk sees growth through LGBT businesses, residents". Accessed 12 October 2009.
- Remo, Jessica. Philadelphia Magazine "Trends: Go South, Young Homo". Accessed 12 October 2009.
- Phillygaycalendar.com, 28 April 2008, "Filling Our QOTA in the 'Gayborhood South". Accessed 12 October 2009.
- Joey Giardello Statue Project. Accessed 27 March 2009.
|This Philadelphia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|