East Patchogue, New York
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
U.S. Census Map
|• Total||8.5 sq mi (21.9 km2)|
|• Land||8.3 sq mi (21.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|• Density||2,600/sq mi (1,000/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0949199|
East Patchogue is a census-designated place (CDP) in the Suffolk County town of Brookhaven, New York, United States. The population was 22,469 at the 2010 census. The CDP is a proximate representation of the East Patchogue hamlet used for statistical purposes of the Census Bureau. East Patchogue is also the name given by the United States Postal Service for ZIP code 11772, which serves the community.
The former East Patchogue post office was located at 1415 Montauk Highway, about five blocks east of the census map border.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.5 square miles (22 km2), of which, 8.3 square miles (21 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (1.89%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,824 people, 7,493 households, and 5,297 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,503.9 per square mile (966.4/km²). There were 7,760 housing units at an average density of 933.1/sq mi (360.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 89.48% White, 3.19% African American, 0.14% Native American, 1.94% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 3.25% from other races, and 1.98% from two or more races.
There were 7,493 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.6% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $57,237, and the median income for a family was $64,323. Males had a median income of $45,274 versus $31,704 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $23,619. About 2.5% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.0% of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2009)|
- Giovanni Capitello, filmmaker/actor - was born in Brooklyn, New York, but grew up in East Patchogue and attended Bellport High School. He still has family there.
- Neal Heaton, baseball player for New York Yankees (1993), lives in East Patchogue.
- Leila Kenzle, actress - was born in Patchogue (1961)
- Sylvia Porter, journalist - born in Patchogue (1913)
- Irv Gordon, Guinness World Record holder and owner of the highest mileage non-commercial vehicle in history, a 1966 Volvo P1800 (1937) Lives in Patchogue.
- Edgar A. Sharp, United States Representative - Republican to the Seventy-ninth Congress (1945-1947). Born in Patchogue.
- Jeff Schaefer, baseball player for the Chicago White Sox (1989), born in Patchogue.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Requires manual entry of city (East Patchogue) and state (NY)". ZIP code lookup - Search by city. United States Postal Service. Retrieved July 1, 2009.