East Point Light
East Point Light
|Location||Lighthouse Road, near the jct. of East Point Road, Maurice River Township, New Jersey|
|Year first constructed||1849|
|Year first lit||1849|
|Tower shape||Octagonal on roof of rectangular building|
|Height||40 feet (12.2 m)|
|Original lens||Sixth order Fresnel lens|
Maurice River Lighthouse
|Area||3.6 acres (1.5 ha)|
|Architect||Middleton, N. & S.|
|NRHP Reference #||95001047|
|Added to NRHP||August 25, 1995|
The East Point Light, known as the Maurice River Light before 1913, is a lighthouse located in Heislerville, New Jersey on Delaware Bay at the mouth of the Maurice River in Maurice River Township, Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States. The light was inactive from 1941 and was nearly destroyed by fire in 1971. The light was reinstated by the United States Coast Guard in 1980. Exterior restoration was completed in 1999.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places as Maurice River Lighthouse, reference #95001047.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Cumberland County" (PDF). New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Historic Preservation Office. 2010-04-01. p. 12. Retrieved 2010-10-13.
Specialized further reading
- NPS - East Point Light at Historic light stations
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New Jersey". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- East Point Light - from Lighthousefriends.com
- For history, pictures, directions and opening schedule. From Maurice River Historical Society
|This New Jersey museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a United States lighthouse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in New Jersey on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|