East Stirlingshire F.C.–Falkirk F.C. rivalry
|Teams||East Stirlingshire and Falkirk|
|First contested||27 August 1881|
|Most recent meeting||26 July 2014;
East Stirlingshire 1–7 Falkirk
|Number of meetings||173|
|Most wins||Falkirk (88)|
|Largest victory||East Stirlingshire 9–0 Falkirk (31 March 1888);
Falkirk 9–0 East Stirlingshire (7 May 1938)
The East Stirlingshire F.C.–Falkirk F.C. rivalry refers to football matches between East Stirlingshire and Falkirk football clubs, the two senior Scottish Football League teams associated with the town of Falkirk in Scotland. The derby was first contested in 1881 and the last major competitive fixture was in 1999.
East Stirlingshire was originally based in Bainsford, a small industrial village to north of Falkirk that is now a suburb of the town. The club moved south to the town centre in 1921 whilst Falkirk has been based in and around the town for its entire existence. The former home grounds of the two clubs, Brockville Park and Firs Park, were separated by less than half a mile and games between the teams sometimes attracted larger crowds than their usual average attendances. The last time the clubs competed in the same league was in 1981–82 and encounters since then have been rare; the last competitive match was in 2014 in a Scottish Challenge Cup first round match which Falkirk won 7–1 at Ochilview Park. The clubs have since met mostly in the regional Stirlingshire Cup and friendly or testimonial matches.
The largest margin of victory in the fixture was when East Stirlingshire won 9–0 in the Stirlingshire Cup Final in 1888; Falkirk won by the same scoreline in a Falkirk and District Infirmary Shield semi-final match in 1938. The largest victory in a major competition was 6–0 for Falkirk in the old Second Division in 1961.
Falkirk F.C. was founded in 1876 whilst East Stirlingshire F.C. officially formed five years later in 1881. The first match between the first teams of East Stirlingshire and Falkirk was a friendly on 27 August 1881 at Randyford Park, with Falkirk winning 5–0.
The first major competitive encounter between the two clubs came in October 1889 when they were drawn against each other in the third round of the Scottish Cup. East Stirlingshire won the match 6–1. Two players in the East Stirlingshire squad, brothers Michael and Thomas Harley, had both played for Falkirk the previous season, with Thomas scoring against his former club.
Last five competitive meetings
|Date||Home team||Score||Away team||Venue||Competition||Attendance||Notes|
|26 July 2014||East Stirlingshire||1–7||Falkirk||Ochilview Park||Scottish Challenge Cup||933|||
|18 August 1999||East Stirlingshire||0–2 (a.e.t.)||Falkirk||Ochilview Park (neutral)||Scottish League Cup||1,201|||
|20 August 1991||Falkirk||3–0||East Stirlingshire||Brockville Park||Scottish League Cup||2,590|||
|7 April 1982||Falkirk||0–3||East Stirlingshire||Brockville Park||First Division||1,308|||
|20 February 1982||Falkirk||2–0||East Stirlingshire||Brockville Park||First Division||1,646|||
|Draws||Falkirk wins||E. Stirlingshire
|Scottish League Cup||2||0||0||2||0||5|
|Scottish Challenge Cup||1||0||0||1||1||7|
|Draws||Falkirk wins||E. Stirlingshire
|Midland Football League||6||2||2||2||14||16|
|Central Football Combination||4||4||0||0||15||5|
|Scottish Football Combination||2||0||1||1||4||6|
|Scottish Football Federation||2||0||1||1||1||2|
|Falkirk and District League||6||5||0||1||24||11|
|Scottish Qualifying Cup||7||2||2||3||11||12|
|Stirlingshire Consolation Cup||5||0||1||4||1||10|
|Falkirk and District Infirmary Shield||36||9||5||22||50||92|
|Falkirk and District Charity Cup||9||5||1||3||21||17|
- Falkirk FC Matches 1877-91, oocities.org. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Falkirk's Head To Head v East Stirlingshire, soccerbase.com. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- By Opponent - East Stirlingshire - Results, bettermeddle.org.uk. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- East Stirlingshire v Falkirk match by match details Matches between Falkirk FC & East Stirlingshire FC
- East Stirlingshire : Head-to-Head vs Falkirk, statto.com. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- The Real Derby Is Back, eaststirlingshirefc.com. East Stirlingshire F.C.. 6 September 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Derek Ure Testimonial, eaststirlingshirefc.com. East Stirlingshire F.C.. 26 April 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- East Stirlingshire v Falkirk - Stirlingshire Cup Final 1888, The report from the Falkirk Herald, Edition - Saturday April 7th 1888.
- Results & Matches on: Sat, 19 Oct 1889 - Scottish FA Cup, soccerbase.com. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- East Stirlingshire 1-7 Falkirk, bbc.co.uk. BBC Sport. 26 July 2014. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Results for East Stirlingshire for 1999-00, londonhearts.com. London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Results for Falkirk for 1991-92, londonhearts.com. London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Results for Falkirk for 1981-82, londonhearts.com. London Hearts Supporters' Club. Retrieved 18 May 2013.