East West University
|East West University|
|Motto||"Excellence in Education"|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|President||Dr. Mohammed Farashuddin (Trustee Board)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Ahmed Shafee|
Full Time: 290
|Undergraduates||9000 students (approx)|
|Postgraduates||2500 students (approx)|
Jahurul Islam City, Aftab Nagar, Dhaka 1212
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission|
East West University (Bengali: ইস্টওয়েস্ট বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) (EWU) is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was established in 1996 by the Private University Act, 1992. Its own campus is in Jahrul Islam City, Aftabnagar.
The university is accredited by the government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, and its curricula and programs have been approved by the Bangladesh University Grants Commission. The President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh is the Chancellor of EWU. The Vice Chancellor, the Pro-Vice Chancellor, and the Treasurer are appointees of the President of the country in his capacity as the Chancellor of the University.
East West University has collaboration agreements with Pace University, Suffolk University, Southern Illinois University, University of Luton, University of Fukui. EWU has entered into collaboration agreements with universities in the USA, UK and Australia.
Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh is the sole accreditation authority in Bangladesh to accredit professional degree programme in Pharmacy. The council accredited the Department of Pharmacy, East West University on August 13, 2007.
The university has students clubs to promote sporting and academic activities.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Facilities and services
- 5 Financial support
- 6 Research
- 7 Ranking
- 8 Student clubs
- 9 Convocation
- 10 Notes and references
- 11 External links
The culture of private universities in Bangladesh started in the early 1990s. During that period, the government felt that the existing public universities were not sufficient to meet the demand for tertiary education in the country. Moreover, to maintain their quality of education, most of the public universities in Bangladesh kept themselves selective and as a result each year a large number of students failed to get admitted into higher educational institutions.
These issues led the government to permit the establishment of private universities, and on 9 August 1992, the Private University Act (Act 34) 1992 was passed.
East West University was established in 1996 as a non-profit organization. The university is the first major project of the Progoti Foundation for Education and Development (PFED), a non-profit, non-political, charitable organization maintained by a group of academics, business leaders, professionals and education enthusiasts led by Dr. Mohammed Farashuddin, economist and former governor of Bangladesh Bank.
In May 2012 the university shifted to new buildings on a plot of about 8 bighas(2.23 acre) at Aftabnagar near Banasree and Bangladesh Television. It has a floor space of about 450,000 square feet.
East West University has three faculties. Each faculty has departments. A Dean is the head of each faculty, while departments are headed by Chairpersons. The Department of Business Administration is the largest and one of the oldest departments of the university. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering (established as the Department of Computer Science) and the Department of English are the two other founding departments.
|*Faculty of Sciences and Engineering||*Faculty of Business and Economics||*Faculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences|
|Lilac||Department of English|
|Sea green||Department of Business Administration|
|Blue||Department of Social Relations|
|Olive green||Department of Economics|
|Orange||Department of Pharmacy|
|Golden yellow||Department of Computer Science & Engineering|
|Pearl white||Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering|
|Indigo||Department of Electronic and Comm. Engineering|
EWU is modeled on the North American Open Credit system. It maintains tri-semester (term) year with the exception of the Department of Pharmacy which maintains a bi-semester year. EWU semesters are as follow:
- Spring: January - April (starting on the second Sunday of January)
- Summer: May - August (starting on the second Sunday of May)
- Fall: September - December (starting on the second Sunday of September)
Degrees and awards
EWU offers Bachelor of Arts (BA) for English graduate, Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) for Business graduate and Bachelor of Social Science (BSS) for Economics graduate. There are degrees in Business and Economics together in the form of double major. The university offers Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) for Engineering (e.g. Computer Science) for Science graduate, Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Phrm) for Pharmacy graduate, Bachelor of Science in Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology and Bachelor of Science in Applied Statistics.
The B.Sc. in EEE program has been granted accreditation from the Board of Accreditation for Engineering & Technical Education (BAETE). At the post-graduate level EWU offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) for business, Master of Arts (MA) for humanities and Master of Science (MS) for Science and Engineering, Master of Pharmacy (M.Phrm) for Pharmacy. EWU's B.Phrm and M.Phrm programs are accredited by the Pharmacy Counsel of Bangladesh.
EWU graduates are evaluated on Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) on a scale of 0 to 4 points. In addition, the university classifies students into three classes based on their earned CGPA. These are as follow:
- First Class - CGPA 3.00 and above
- Second Class - CGPA 2.50 to 2.99
- Third Class - CGPA 2.00 to 2.49
The university provides the following awards to its outstanding students.
- Gold Medal: Chancellor of the University, the President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh awards a Gold Medal to each of the students having a CGPA of 3.97 or above on the day of convocation.
- Summa Cum Laude: Each undergraduate student with a CGPA of 3.90 or above is awarded Summa Cum Laude by the university and declared by the convocation Marshall on the convocation day.
- Magna Cum Laude: Each undergraduate student with a CGPA of 3.75 or above is awarded Magna Cum Laude by the university and declared by the convocation Marshall on the convocation day.
Facilities and services
East West University has a library covering about 11000 sq ft. in the new campus with maps and journal area, and has a photocopy corner, database search corner, and newspaper display section. Each day around 2,200 users visit the library. The library contains 22,000 books, a subscription to 135 international and national journals (hardcopy), 3,300 online journals on its database, subscription to 16 national daily newspapers and around 1,500 CD-ROMs and audio cassettes.
There are laboratories for engineering and science disciplines, and seven computer laboratories with a local network of 533 PCs and personal VSAT services. Universities laboratories are shared as follow:
- Computer Communications Laboratories, shared by all departments,
- Digital Systems Laboratory, shared by the engineering departments,
- Electronics Laboratory, shared by the engineering departments,.
- Electrical Circuits and Machine Laboratory, used by the EEE department,
- Network Laboratory, shared by department of CSE and APCE,
- Pharmacy Laboratory, used by department of Pharmacy,
- Physics Laboratory, used by all the science and engineering departments,
- Telecommunication Laboratory, used by the APCE department,
- VLSI Laboratory, shared by CSE and EEE departments,
- Software Engendering Laboratory, shared by only CSE and departments.
East West University provides scholarships starting from full funding to partial tuition waivers. Each semester the top 10% students of each batch having a CGPA of 3.97 or above are awarded EWU Merit Scholarships which are worth 90,000 BDT at the undergraduate level and 75,000 BDT at the postgraduate level. All other students from the Dean's List are also eligible to receive Medha Lalon Fund Scholarship ranging from 500,000 BDT to 25,000 BDT. Besides, there are 28 directorial scholarships (25,000-20,000 BDT) are available each year for the meritorious students with exceptional case.
Each semester the university provides financial aid. Students facing financial difficulties (with a CGPA of 3.7 and above, those students who complete at least 30 credits last three semester) can apply once a year for support. It varies from 18,000 BDT to 35,000 BDT. EWU provides 50% tuition waiver for any one of a sibling pair studying simultaneously in the university which is worth around 45,000 BDT per year. It maintains a low tuition fees rate (BDT 4,200 per credit) compared to other leading private universities in Bangladesh.
The Medha Lalon Fund
To extend support towards nurturing merit (particularly to students from middle-class background, to female students, and to students from outside the metropolis) the Board of Directors set up in 2002 the Medha Lalon Fund with an endowment of Taka one and a half crore. The board has also sanctioned an amount of Taka one crore thirty lakhs from the operating surplus of the university for the fund. This is in addition to the disbursement each year on regular components such as the merit scholarships and financial aid. Several philanthropic persons/organizations have contributed a combined amount of Taka twenty-seven and a half lakh to the Medha Lalon Fund. This need-cum-merit based financial aid is awarded from the annual earnings of the Medha Lalon Fund deposited in a five-year interest earning Scholarship Deposit Account of Mercantile Bank.
The Medha Lalon Fund is administered by the Financial Aid Committee of the university.
East West University has a resource Center for Research and Training (EWUCRT). The center creates knowledge through academic and applied research and disseminate knowledge through training and publication. CRT operates through a Research Committee composed of representatives from the Board, Deans and Chairs of the Academic Department. Link of EWUCRT publication is http://www.ewubd.edu/ewu/showDocument.php?documentid=1118.
CRT publishes the EWU Journal, a bi-annual publication of research papers. CRT publishes working papers, occasional papers and Annual Research Abstracts. Faculty members and senior students of the university produce academic papers each year and publish them in journals and conference proceedings.
In addition, CRT works with the government and private institutions at national and international levels to facilitate academic exchanges.
In 2002 EWU organized International Conference on Computer and Information Technology which is a series of Computer Science ofand Information Technology based conference hosted in Bangladesh since 1997 by a university each year. EWU is a member of Trade Knowledge Network, a collaboration of research institutions in developed and developing countries located in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas and also active in the South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economists (SANDEE).
Dr A.K. Enamul Haque, Professor of Economics was the first Executive Director of this centre. He was a member of the Management and Advisory Committee of SANDEE. He is currently an Academic Advisor to SANDEE researchers. In 2006, EWU faculty members had 39 appearances in international journals and conferences. Besides these, the university provides financial support through a faculty research program to promote research culture in the campus.
In 2013, and 2007, Webometrics ranked EWU third among all universities of Bangladesh (first among private universities in Bangladesh) and 64th in the Indian subcontinent in their World Universities Ranking based on web visibility of electronic publication, scientific results and international activities.
|Ranking of Bangladeshi universities |
Students take part in competitions and exhibitions, from cultural and debating activities to intellectual programming and software developing.
East West University Club for Performing Arts(ECPA)
ECPA members pnclude musicians, singers, reciters, dancers and organizers. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/ewu.ecpa
The EWU Debating Club participates in World Universities Debating Championship and United Asian Debating Championships and maintains 146th world rank according to World Debate website. EWU Debating Club won the championship title in the 18th Prime Bank - NDDC National Debate Championship 2006 (Inter University - Bangla) and became runner-up in the same event's English debate. In 2007 they became runners up in the first UU Inter University Debating Championship (Bengali IV).
EWU Computer Programming Club (EWUCoPC)
In 2008, a team from the university, named Dreams of Twilight, qualified for the ACM ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) World Finals that was hosted by University of Alberta, Canada. 100 universities from all over the world qualified for the event. A total of 9000 teams competed for the ticket to the final event.
EWU Programming club became fourth in ACM ICPC held at Coimbatore, India and 12th at Kanpur, India in 2006. Other clubs are also taking part in national-level events.
- Club for Performing Arts (ECPA)
- Creative Marketing Club (CMC)
- Environmental and Social Club
- Business Club (EWUBC)
- Financial Analysis & Research Club
- Debating Club (EWUDC)
- Photography Club (EWUPC)
- Computer Club
- Sports Club
- MBA Club
- English Conversation Club
- Pharmacy Club
- Natural Science Club
- Computer Programming Club (EWUCoPC)
- Rotaract Club of East West University (EWURC)
- Electronics Club
- Telecommunication club (EWUTC)
- Agro Industrialization Club
- Science Club (EWUSC)
East West University holds a Convocation every year.
The 7th convocation was held on 3 March 2008 at the Bangladesh-China Friendship Conference Center, Dhaka. A total of 604 undergraduate and 275 graduate students were conferred degrees. Two students were honoured with gold medals for outstanding academic performance. Professor Dr. Iajuddin Ahmed, President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and Chancellor of East West University, presided over the convocation.
The 8th convocation was held at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre, Dhaka on 7 April 2009. About 3000 people including teachers, students, guardians, and guests attended the convocation ceremony. A total of 923 graduates from 15 programs received certificates in the convocation. Of them 671 were conferred undergraduate degrees and 252 graduate degrees. 7 students were awarded gold medals for their outstanding academic achievements.
The 9th Convocation was held on 25 April 2010 at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre, Agargaon, Dhaka. A total number of 956 undergraduate and graduate students were conferred degrees. Six students were also honored with gold medals for their outstanding academic performance.
The 10th Convocation was held at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre on Sunday 6 March 2011.His Excellency Md. Zillur Rahman, President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh presided over the program and conferred the degrees. Professor Dr. AAMS Arefin Siddique, Vice Chancellor of University of Dhaka, delivered the convocation speech, and Education Minister Mr. Nurul Islam Nahid MP attended the ceremony as the special guest. A total of 1073 graduates from 9 departments received certificates in the convocation. Of them 712 were conferred undergraduate degrees and 361 graduate degrees.
The university organized its 11th convocation on its own campus located at Aftab Nagar in Rampura. Honorable Minister for Agriculture Begum Matia Chowdhury presided over the program while the President of Bishwa Satiya Kendra (World Literature Center) Professor Abdullah Abu Sayeed delivered the convocation speech. The program saw the conferring of 643 undergraduate and 475 graduate degrees.
The 12th Convocation was held on 27 February 2013 at Aftabnagar, Dhaka-1212. A total of 1279 undergraduate and graduate students were conferred degrees. Three students received gold medals for their academic achievements.
The 13th Convocation was held on 24 February 2014 at the university permanent campus in Aftabnagar, Dhaka. Mr. Nurul Islam Nahid, MP, Education Minister, presided over the function as the representative of the Chancellor Mr. Abdul Hamid, President of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Eminent litterateur and winner of ‘Ekushey Padak’ was the Convocation Speaker. Dr. Mohammed Forashuddin, the President of the Board of Trustees and the Founder Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof Ahmed Shafee, the Vice Chancellor, members of the Board of Trustees, Syndicate, Academic Council, faculty members, graduating students and their parents and a large numbers of distinguished guests were present on the occasion. A total of 1341 students received their undergraduate and postgraduate degrees through the convocation.
Notes and references
- Office of East West University. (2014). "East West University at a Glance". East West University Convocation Book. ("13th Convocation EWU profile")
- "Private University Act, 1992". Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "Accreditation & Collaboration". East West University. 9 January 2009.
- Location, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-112
- Explanatory Note, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-17
- EWU Undergraduate Prospectus 2002-2003, pp-16
- Collaboration list
- Credit Transfer info to Uni. of Wollongong
- EWU Undergraduate Prospectus 2002-2003, pp-15
- EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-17
- EWU Newsletter, Vol. VI, ISSUE III, Fall 2006, pp-8
- University Profile, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-113
- List of Laboratories, EWU Convocation Brochure 2007, pp-113,114
- History of ICCIT
- EWU's profile as a member at TKN site
- About Trade Knowledge Network
- http://www.sandeeonline.org\Home\Sponsors and Management Committee\Management Committee
- Publications (abstract only) made by EWU faculty in 2006
- Research at EWU
- Cybermetrics Lab (2007). "Regional and Global Ranking of Indian subcontinent universities". CINDOC-CSIC, Madrid, Spain.
- Bss, Dhaka. "EWU ranked first among private universities", The Daily Star Report, 7 October 2007.
- Webometrics, a new tool for Scientometrics
- "Webometrics University Ranking". Webometrics. Retrieved July 2013.
- "career news 24 University Ranking". careernews24. Retrieved July 2013.
- East West University Debating Club has won the Runner-up trophy in a national level Inter University English debate tournament AIUB Ecobate-2013. The tournament was organized by AIUB Oratory Club. Among the 18 teams participated in the competition, the final debate was between East West University and BRAC University. On the way to the final, team EWU defeated teams from DU, NSU and BUET. Ranking by World Debate Website
- Bangladesh Debate Council Newsfeed
- News from EWU Site
- "Sparkle of Arguments: 1st UU Inter University Debating Championship 2007", The Daily Star, September 30, 2007
- Dhaka site local teams in the world final
- "7th Convocation of East West University". 16 April 2008.
- "East West University’s 8th Convocation Held". 12 April 2009.
- "9TH CONVOCATION OF EAST WEST UNIVERSITY". 27 April 2010.
- "EWU holds 10th Convocation amid great festivity". 15 March 2011.
- "East West University holds its 11th Convocation at the Permanent Campus". 8 March 2012.
- "12TH CONVOCATION OF EAST WEST UNIVERSITY". 28 February 2013.
- "East West University holds 13th Convocation". 9 March 2014.