East Worthing and Shoreham (UK Parliament constituency)
|East Worthing and Shoreham|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Worthing and Shoreham in West Sussex for the 2010 general election.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Electorate||72,996 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Tim Loughton (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Worthing and Shoreham|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
After the Fifth Periodic Review of the Boundary Commission, sweeping changes were made to most constituencies to deal with population changes, however in this seat only 29 electors were moved into Worthing West in the nationwide abolition of ward sharing. The seat comprises the Electoral wards:
- Buckingham, Churchill, Cokeham, Eastbrook, Hillside, Manor, Marine, Mash Barn, Peverel, St Mary's, St Nicholas, Southlands, Southwick Green and Widewater forming the Adur District//
- Broadwater, Gaisford, Offington and Selden in the Borough of Worthing
Under the Boundary Commission's fourth review, enacted in time for the 1997 election, the larger Shoreham portion of this constituency was taken from the disbanded Shoreham seat and the minor East Worthing portion had been in the disbanded Worthing seat.
Before 1974, the Shoreham seat had been a part of the Arundel and Shoreham seat.
Between 1945 and 1950, the whole area was in the Worthing seat and between 1918 and 1945 (on which the Boundary Commission was formed and carried out its first periodic review), in the Horsham and Worthing seat.
- Political history
Apart from the 1997 general election result with the Conservative Party candidate's majority as 9.9% of the vote, more recent greater majorities together with the most recent result, a 22.9% majority, suggest the seat is safer than most other constituencies currently held by the Conservative Party. In terms of second place, this was retaken by the Liberal Democrat candidate in 2010, ousting the Labour Party from that position, having achieved second place at general elections here since 2001.
The competitive hustings in September 2007 of the local Labour Party selected Emily Benn, granddaughter of Tony Benn and niece of Hilary Benn, former ministers of state, then aged 17, to contest the 2010 general election, making her the youngest ever Labour parliamentary candidate: had she been elected, she would have been the youngest MP since the Reform Act 1832.
Shoreham can be viewed with Worthing as less of an economic force than the neighbouring local government district, the City of Brighton and Hove, with a majority of houses with larger gardens, fewer listed buildings but Shoreham's large boat harbour facility an amenity for visitors, residents, - mooring and maintenance for people living close enough to the county, rival harbours being as far away as Chichester and Newhaven. Much work is in the service sector, including a major presence of sharedealing and banking service and processing facilities in the borough (see Lancing, West Sussex) and a slightly greater proportion of people are retired compared to the national average (2.11% of the population greater, at 15.8%).
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: East Worthing and Shoreham |
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Smytherman|
|National Health Action||Carl Walker|
|General Election 2010: East Worthing and Shoreham|
|Liberal Democrat||James Doyle||12,353||25.5||+1.2|
|English Democrats||Clive Maltby||389||0.8||+0.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: East Worthing and Shoreham|
|Liberal Democrat||James Doyle||10,844||24.3||+1.4|
|Legalise Cannabis||Chris Baldwin||677||1.5||−0.6|
|General Election 2001: East Worthing and Shoreham|
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Elgood||9,876||22.9||−7.6|
|Legalise Cannabis||Christopher Baldwin||920||2.1||+2.1|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: East Worthing and Shoreham|
|Liberal Democrat||Martin King||15,766||30.6|
|Referendum Party||J. McCulloch||1,683||3.3|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- "Benn's granddaughter runs for MP". BBC News Online. 2007-09-25. Retrieved 2007-09-28.
- OS Map with Listed Buildings and Parks marked
- 2011 Census "Economically Inactive - see subcategories"
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Worthing East & Shoreham". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)