East of Scotland Universities Air Squadron
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2012)|
|East of Scotland Universities Air Squadron RAF|
|Motto||Cuide Laidire (Gaelic: Together Stronger)|
|Two lions rampant holding an open book with the Saltire in the background|
The East of Scotland Universities Air Squadron (Scottish Gaelic: Sguadron Adhair Oilthighean Taobh an Ear na h-Alba), commonly known as ESUAS, is a squadron within the Royal Air Force established in 2003 as an amalgamation of "East Lowlands Universities Air Squadron" and "Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews Universities Air Squadron". It is based at Royal Air Force Leuchars, in Fife and flies a fleet of 7 Grob Tutor aircraft. ESUAS is the parent Squadron of 12 Air Experience Flight, who share the aircraft.
A Squadron Leader is the Commanding Officer and ESUAS has another 4 Qualified Flying Instructors, Chief Ground Instructor, and a Physical Training Instructor. There are some 97 students, 13 civilian support staff who are contracted from Babcock, plus an adjutant and 3 civilian admin staff.
Students apply to join ESUAS at their university's Freshers' Fair and then undergo a selection process. If successful they are attested and join the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve as an Officer Cadet symbolised by a white rank tab. Normally, students are recruited for a period of 2 years. Currently, ESUAS recruit from 9 academic institutions in Eastern Scotland: Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Napier, QMU, RGU, Aberdeen, St Andrews, Dundee, and Abertay.
ESUAS activities include flying training, sports including Rugby and Football, military and leadership training, adventurous training, charity and community work and a social scene. The aim of ESUAS, like other University Air Squadrons is to let young people experience life in the Royal Air Force, without commitment to regular service and to provide training in the fields mentioned. ESUAS also parents sponsored students, on cadetships or bursaries, who will go on to join the RAF.
- Birmingham University Air Squadron
- Liverpool University Air Squadron
- University of London Air Squadron
- Cambridge University Air Squadron
- Northumbria University Air Squadron
- Yorkshire University Air Squadron
- University of Wales Air Squadron
- University of Birmingham Air Squadron
- Bristol University Air Squadron
- Oxford University Air Squadron
- Manchester and Salford University Air Squadron
- Southampton University Air Squadron
- Norther Ireland (DF) University Air Squadron
- Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde Air Squadron
- University Royal Naval Unit, the Royal Navy equivalent
- Officers Training Corps, the British Army equivalent
- List of Royal Air Force aircraft squadrons