Eastern District High School
The Eastern District High School is a defunct high school in eastern Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York at 227 Marcy Avenue then at 850 Grand Street. It was a comprehensive high school. It opened in 1894 and it remained in service until the city closed the school in 1995.
The building reopened in 1996 as Grand Street Campus, with several smaller schools operating within the same facilities; those schools are performing considerably better despite facing similar challenges. The schools include The High School for Enterprise, Business and Technology, Progress High School for Professional Careers and the High School for Legal Studies. The High School for Enterprise, Business, and Technology has over a 90% graduation rate. The schools share the athletics program as the Grand Street Wolves, and have won multiple PSAL championships. The schools also share a large performing arts department including three concert bands, two jazz ensembles, a choir and a comprehensive dance program.
In Betty Smith's modern classic, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (novel)," one of the principal characters, Cornelius "Neeley" Nolan, attends Eastern District High.
Eastern District High School
- Red Auerbach, guard, NBA coach and general manager, Hall of Fame
- Mark Breland, World Champion Boxer
- Mel Brooks, actor, writer, director
- Homicide, wrestler
- Barry Manilow, singer, composer
- Memphis Bleek, rapper
- Henry Miller, writer
- Joseph Papp, theater producer and founder of the Public Theater
- Michael E. Reiburn (1893–1982), graduate class of 1911, New York assemblyman and state senator, disbarred lawyer convicted of fraud and theft
- Frank Rodriguez, major league baseball player
- Eulalie Spence, Harlem Renaissance-era playwright and former teacher at Eastern District High School, mentor to Joseph Papp.
- Jorge Luis Vazquez, professional baseball player, Montreal Expos minor league system
- Template:Leonardo Garcia.writer,tenor
- Pauline (ne Tannenbaum) Finkelstein, extraordinary woman who lived an ordinary life.
Daniel Fuchs ,novelist and Academy Award-winning screenwriter.
Grand Street Campus
- NY Daily News Eastern District High School flunks
- "Yournabe.com". Yournabe.com. August 6, 2009. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- "19 Things We Learned From The Combat Jack Show‘s Interview with Memphis Bleek". http://www.xxlmag.com. 24 August 2012.
- Mary V. Dearborn, The Happiest Man Alive, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1991, p. 38.
- HONORS FOR REIZENBERG (sic); Brooklyn Man Chosen for Syracuse Debating Team in The Brooklyn Daily Eagle on April 20, 1915
- "Eastern District (Brooklyn,NY) Baseball". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved February 14, 2011.
- Excerpt from "African American Dramatists: An A to Z Guide." Edited by Emmanuel Sampath Nelson. From Google Books. Retrieved February 17, 2013.