|Running time||Every Sunday 7 pm – 9 pm|
|Home station||BBC Radio Manchester|
|Producer(s)||Eastern Horizon Broadcasting Team|
Eastern Horizon is a community access programme produced by and for the Chinese Community in Greater Manchester and the North West. Eastern Horizon was founded by a group of Chinese volunteers, led by David Wong. Early presenters and contributors included Osmond Lam, Michelle Chan, Roland, Soshan, Yin King Chiu, Simon Jones, Philip Godber, Winnie Godber, Josephine Chan, Alice, Susanna Chiu, Joseph Wu, Sally Li and Mike Dillon. Its aim is to be "a communication channel between the Chinese community and the host community".
The programme first broadcast on 15 December 1983 as a recorded 30-minute programme once a month. It was then expanded to one hour a week. The show was one of the first in the UK to link up with Chinese radio stations around the world to produce simulcast programme. The show is now called Chinatown and is transmitted every Sunday evening for two hours.
On 14 December 2008, another simulcast was conducted with Spectrum Radio in London to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of the establishment of Eastern Horizon with original crew members from the 80s and 90s.
The programme plays a range of Chinese music from Canto-Pop and Mandarin classics to Chinese Classical tunes. It covers a range of community issues and promote events and activities for the community. Police have used the programme to broadcast appeals for information in Cantonese to the Chinese community.
Events and activities
The programme team regularly works with other community group, organising and parttake in many local fund-raising activities. Past events included Children in Need Parties, Karaoke and fashion shows.
- Eastern Horizon's Background, Eastern Horizon Website, 2007
- Chinese New Year Programme Archive, Radio Television Hong Kong, 1986
- worked for RTHK 1986-1994
- Sally Li Work as Volunteer between 1984-1986, Wai Yin Chinese Women Society Committee Profile, 2007
- Details in Register of local groups, Manchester City Council, 2005
- Simulcast Details with RTHK, Radio Television Hong Kong, 1986
- BBC Cultural Diversity Document, BBC, 2002
- Current Programme Transmission, BBC Radio Manchester, 2007
- Radio appeal over Chinatown death, BBC News, 2004
- Register of local groups, Manchester City Council, 2005
- BBC Radio Manchester website
- Eastern Horizon Website
- Manchester Chinatown News
- Eastern Horizon Volunteer DJ won Shine Award, Salford University 2004
- Profile of Current Producer/Presenter: Juanita Yau, Wai Yin Chinese Women Society Committee Profile, 2007