Easton Royal is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England. The village site was the location of the Easton Priory from 1234 to 1536. The name of Easton Royal came into use in the 1850s and was officially sanctioned ca. 1860.
Easton Royal is a civil parish with a (sometimes) elected parish council. The parish is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for all significant local government functions.
Notable residents and benefactors, past & present
- Sir Henry Howarth Bashford (1880-1961) Much loved historian of the village. Bequeathed land that is now the village recreation ground to the children of the village. Recently commemorated by the village's first blue plaque at his former residence, the White House.
- Descendant of the Duke of Somerset, between 1608 and 1611 [ref.2]; title was forfeit in 1552 & but later restored by the Restoration (1660).
- Duchess of Somerset, 1672 [ref. 2], perhaps Lady Frances Devereux, the wife of William Seymour, 2nd Duke of Somerset and mother of Henry Seymour, Lord Beauchamp and John Seymour, 4th Duke of Somerset.
- Edward Seymour of Easton, c. 1735 later Edward Seymour, 8th Duke of Somerset [ref. 2]
- Audrey Summers MBE
- Several Esturmys, hereditary wardens of Savernake forest since the Norman Conquest, funded and were buried at Easton church [described on large church plaque] but later (c. 1590) moved to Great Bedwyn when the original church fell into disrepair.
- "Major" Sir John Wildman was captured here in 1655 [ref.2].
- Major-General Christopher Leslie Elliot, CB, MBE
- Nigel Stock (actor)
- Dr David Herbert Llewellyn surgeon of the CSS Alabama was the son of the vicar and is commemorated in the church. He lost his life when the Alabama was sunk by the USS Kearsage in 1864.
- D A Crowley, et al., Easton A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 16: Kinwardstone Hundred (1999), pp. 140-149. Date accessed: 14 November 2012.
- "Area selected: Kennet (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- Easton Royal History by Sir Henry Bashford
- BMJ Obituary Sir Henry Bashford MD FRCP
- Wiltshire Gazette & Herald - Tribute to royal doctor from Easton Royal, 7th March 2011
- William Seymour, 1st Marquis of Hertford, 2nd Duke of Somerset, 1587-1660
- Lady Frances Devereux
- John Wildman, Leveller, Conspirator, c.1623-93
- "Maj-Gen Christopher Elliott, CB, MBE".
- Crowley, D.A. (ed.); Baggs, A.P.; Freeman, Jane; Smith, C.; Stevenson, Janet H.; Williamson, E. (1999). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 16: Kinwardstone hundred. pp. 140–149.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1975). The Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 233–234. ISBN 0140710264.
- Pugh, R.B.; Crittall, Elizabeth (eds.) (1956). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 3. pp. 324–327.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Easton Royal.|
- Wiltshire Council Website page on Easton Royal, retrieved 24:00 Oct 16, 2004 (UTC)