|Original author(s)||Phillip J. Eby|
|Developer(s)||Jason R. Coombs|
|Stable release||5.4.1 / July 6, 2014|
|License||PSF or ZPL|
- Python package and module definitions
- Distribution package metadata
- Test hooks
- Project installation
- Platform-specific details
- Python 3 support
In 2013, Distribute, a fork of Setuptools, was merged back into Setuptools 0.7.
Python Eggs are a way of bundling additional information with a Python project, that allows the project's dependencies to be checked and satisfied at runtime, as well as allowing projects to provide plugins for other projects.
"Eggs are to Pythons as Jars are to Java..."
Eggs are planned to be replaced by Wheels in the near future.
EasyInstall is a package manager for Python that provides a standard format for distributing Python programs and libraries (based on the Python Eggs format). EasyInstall is a module bundled with Setuptools. It is analogous to RubyGems for the Ruby.
EasyInstall is not a fully fledged package manager. It cannot list local packages nor update them all. Pip and Python Package Manager (PyPM) are Python applications designed to fulfill a similar role as EasyInstall. The Distribute fork was created specifically due to the lack of progress in EasyInstall development.
By default, EasyInstall looks in the Python Package Index (PyPI) for the desired packages and uses the metadata there to download and install the package and its dependencies.
- Python Package Index (PyPI) - The official third-party software repository for the Python programming language
- pip - command-line package management system
- Python Package Manager (PyPM) - package manager for Python from ActiveState
- RubyGems - similar Ruby package manager
- http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools September 1, 2009
- Tarek Ziade. "The strange world of packaging – forking setuptools". Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- PyPI project page
- Setuptools source at Bitbucket
- Setuptools documentation
- Setuptools documentation at Peak
- Python Eggs documentation
- Python Eggs documentation at Peak
- EasyInstall user's guide and reference manual
- EasyInstall documentation at Peak
|This installation software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|