|Company / developer||EasyPeasy community|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||July 4, 2008|
|Latest stable release||1.6  / April 26, 2010|
|Latest unstable release||2.0 alpha  / March 5, 2012|
|Update method||APT (front-ends available)|
|Default user interface||GNOME + Ubuntu Netbook Edition|
EasyPeasy (formerly named Ubuntu Eee) is a Linux-based operating system for netbooks. EasyPeasy is built upon Debian and Ubuntu, but is customized for low-powered computers and access to web applications. EasyPeasy is maintained as an open source project, though it does use popular web applications or proprietary software over free and open source software alternatives (e.g. Skype over Ekiga) when the functionality offered is deemed better by its users.
- Uses a recent Ubuntu release as a base
- Support for many netbooks
- Pre-installs some widely used applications and codecs like Adobe Flash and MP3
- Uses well known proprietary software, instead of open source alternatives
- Strives to deliver netbook functionality like the Social Desktop and automatic file synchronization
Ubuntu Eee was started by Jon Ramvi in December 2007. At that time it was only some scripts which modified a regular Ubuntu installation to support the Asus Eee PCs. In June 2008 the project was disbanded as a script and Ubuntu Eee 8.04 was released as a stand-alone distribution, based on Ubuntu 8.04 with EeePC support installed out of the box. On September 5 followed the 8.04.1 version. It used a new Linux kernel, came with a new user interface and Flash 10.
It was renamed EasyPeasy in January 2009, and has been downloaded well over a million times from the main mirror.
On September 10, 2008, Canonical notified Jon Ramvi by email that the project's use of Canonical's names, URLs, and logos violated Canonical's trademarks in the original name Ubuntu Eee. In response, the owners of the project announced that they would use a new name EasyPeasy and version 1.0 was released January 1, 2009.
|Ubuntu Eee 8.04||2008-06-16|
|EasyPeasy 2.0 alpha||2012-03-05|
- | Developers Release
- "Easy Peasy is a Lightweight Linux Distro Optimized for Netbooks".
- "easypeasy on launchpad.net".
- "easypeasy - for netbooks".
- "Easy Peasy Ubuntu-based Linux Distro for Eee PC now available".
- "Easypeasy 1.6 Compatibility List - Easy Peasy wiki". Wiki.geteasypeasy.com. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Social Desktop | Jon Ramvi . com". Jonramvi.com. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- "Ubuntu Eee 8.04: Custom Ubuntu distro for the Eee PC". Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- "Download History Statistics". Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Mail from Canonical". Jonramvi.com. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Ubuntu Eee's new name!, www.geteasypeasy.com, retrieved 2013-04-22
- EasyPeasy, distrowatch.com, retrieved 2013-04-22