Eaten Alive (album)
|Studio album by Diana Ross|
|Producer||Barry Gibb, Karl Richardson, Albhy Galuten
Michael Jackson (co-producer on "Eaten Alive" only)
|Diana Ross chronology|
|Singles from Eaten Alive|
Eaten Alive is a 1985 album by Diana Ross which reached #45 in the USA, #11 in the UK and Australia and the top ten in Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands. It includes her international hit single "Chain Reaction".
The album was released on the RCA label in the US where it was not a success, though fared better internationally as an EMI (co-founded by RCA) label release to which Ross had been signed directly since 1981 (though Ross's relationship with EMI dates back to the beginning of her international career since they distributed Motown releases).
The album was primarily conceived by Barry Gibb, who had co-written and co-produced successful albums for Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick, and Kenny Rogers earlier that decade. Most of the tracks were co-written by Gibb and at least one of his other siblings, though some were written by all members of the Bee Gees. The album includes the UK and Australia #1 hit "Chain Reaction", along with the Top 10 R&B title track - written and co-produced with Michael Jackson. "Experience" was also released as a single, reaching #47 on the UK Singles Chart.
Videos were made for each of the three singles, with the title track being done in the style of the film The Island of Dr. Moreau. The video for "Chain Reaction" paid homage to American Bandstand-type shows of the 1960s. Both "Eaten Alive" and "Experience" co-starred actor Joseph Gian.
Due to the success of "Chain Reaction", the album would reach the Top 20 in many European territories. Barry Gibb accompanied Ross in the background on most of the tracks with Jackson also performing on "Eaten Alive". Despite perceptions, the title single, "Eaten Alive" hit the Top 20 in several European territories including Italy where it reached #10, Sweden #14 and Switzerland #17. It also peaked at #3 on the Billboard Dance Charts.
- Side A
- "Eaten Alive" (Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb, Michael Jackson) – 3:50
- "Oh Teacher" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 3:37
- "Experience" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb, Andy Gibb) – 4:54
- "Chain Reaction" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 3:47
- "More and More" (Barry Gibb, Albhy Galuten, Andy Gibb) – 3:05
- Side B
- "I'm Watching You" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 3:50
- "Love on the Line" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 4:19
- "(I Love) Being in Love with You" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 4:31
- "Crime of Passion" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 3:31
- "Don't Give Up on Each Other" (Barry Gibb, George Bitzer) – 3:45
Musicians credited in the liner notes:
- John J. Barnes - keyboards
- George Bitzer- keyboards, synthesiser, piano
- Nathan East - bass
- Don Felder - guitar
- Michael Fisher - percussion
- Stephen Gadd - drums
- Albhy Galuten - synthesiser, arranger
- Gary E. Grant - horn
- Jerry Hey - horn
- James Newton Howard - keyboards, synthesiser
- Kim S. Hutchcroft - saxophone
- Paul Leim - drums
- Greg Phillinganes - synthesiser
- Bill Reichenbach Jr. (credited as Bill Reichenbach) - horn
- Tom Scott - saxophone
- George Terry - guitar
- Larry Williams - keyboard
- Diana Ross - lead vocals
- Barry Gibb – backing vocals, guitar, arranger
- Michael Jackson - backing vocals on "Eaten Alive
- Bruce Albertine - backing vocals
- Myrna Matthews – backing vocals
- Marti McCall – backing vocals
The Eaten Alive Demos
|The Eaten Alive Demos|
|Demo album by Barry Gibb|
|Released||10 October 2006|
Criteria Studios, Miami
|Barry Gibb chronology|
The Eaten Alive Demos as sung by Barry Gibb were made available as downloads on iTunes in October 2006. The album contained most of the songs with the exception of the title track and "Chain Reaction". In the spring of 2009, when iTunes changed into DRM-free downloads with higher bit-rates; all of the Barry Gibb demos were no longer available. In August 2011 all of the Barry Gibb demos reappeared on iTunes shortly after the opening of the download store on his official website where many of the same tracks were available. Another demo of the title track by Michael Jackson is known to have been recorded, but, to this date, has not yet surfaced.
|1.||"Oh Teacher"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb||3:25|
|2.||"Experience"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb, A. Gibb||4:47|
|3.||"More and More"||B. Gibb, A. Galuten, A. Gibb||3:02|
|4.||"I'm Watching You"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb||3:41|
|5.||"Love on the Line"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb||4:01|
|6.||"(I Love) Being in Love with You"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb||4:30|
|7.||"Crime of Passion"||B. Gibb, R. Gibb, M. Gibb||3:44|
|8.||"Don't Give Up on Each Other"||B. Gibb, G. Bitzer||3:53|
- Wynn, Ron (1985-08-23). "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Wynn, Ron (1985-08-23). "Eaten Alive (Bonus Track)". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Eaten Alive (Bonus Track)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Gibb Songs 2006 - Selected record releases". Columbia.edu. Retrieved 2012-07-06.