Echo Global Logistics
|Type||Public (NASDAQ: ECHO)|
|Headquarters||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
CEO: Douglas R. Waggoner Founder: Brad KeywellFounder: Eric Lefkofsky
|Revenue||$426,364,000 USD (FY 2010)|
Echo Global Logistics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECHO) is a provider of technology-enabled transportation and supply chain management services, delivered on a proprietary technology platform, serving the transportation and logistics needs of its clients. Echo’s web-based technology platform compiles and analyzes data from its network of over 24,000 transportation providers to serve its clients’ shipping and freight management needs. The company has become a leading contender among 3PLs and has been listed in Inbound Logistics' Top 100 3PL Providers. In 2011, Echo has procured transportation and provided logistics services for more than 22,700 clients across industries such as manufacturing, construction, consumer products and retail.
Echo Global Logistics, Inc. was established as a logistics division for InnerWorkings, a web-based printing company in Chicago. In 2005, InnerWorkings founder Eric Lefkofsky decided to expand the logistics division into an independent company. Lefkofsky, most recently known for creating the social-coupon Website Groupon, is an expert on using the power of technology and the Internet to update an industry. With this in mind, Lefkofsky and fellow co-founder Brad Keywell set out to create Echo Global Logistics, a transportation and logistics outsourcing business.
In 2006, Douglas R. Waggoner became the CEO of Echo and brought with his experience in the transportation industry. Under the leadership of Waggoner, Echo combined technology and transportation in order to provide solutions for shippers. Waggoner has been recognized for his contributions to the transportation and business world. In 2009, Ernst & Young selected Waggoner as the Entrepreneur of the Year.
In 2007, Echo acquired SelecTrans, Mountain Logistics and Best Way Solutions. They also opened three regional branches in Los Angeles, Portland, and Park City, Utah. In 2009, Echo made acquired Freight Management and RayTrans Distribution. On October 2, 2009 Echo went public on NASDAQ.
Echo provides transportation services for shipping including:
Main logistics services include:
- Rate negotiation
- Carrier management
- Routing compliance
- Shipment execution and tracking
- Freight bill audit
- Payment and performance management
Echo developed Evolved Transportation Management (ETM) technology; a web-based proprietary software application that allows the company to analyze the transportation requirements of each client and create customized solutions. ETM provides supply chain visibility, and shipment execution throughout all modes of transportation. The technology allows clients to manage transportation and logistics fees and navigate their way through the complexities in the transportation and supply chain functions. Working with ETM, Echo employs technology portals, that include:
- EchoTrakTM , a customized web-based transportation management displaying details of shipments and automatic alerts to email,
- RatelQTM , a rating tool for LTL,
- LanelQTM , rate and price quoting engine for truckload shipments,
- Optimizer Tracking , performance ratings of carriers and shipment data,
- Optimizer Imaging , stores digital images of shipping documents.
Echo works with carriers specializing in truckload, less-than-truckload, expedited, international and small parcel carriers. To ensure the quality control, Echo employs a Carrier Certification Program. The program ranks carriers by relevance and appropriateness for all shipments. The carrier list is updated and maintained according to performance, rate negotiation and other quality standards. All carriers working with Echo are licensed, insured, and adhere to safety rules.
Commitment to the environment
In February 2010, Echo joined the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) SmartWay Transport Partnership, an initiative with the goal of environmentally cleaner, more fuel efficient transportation options. The Company achieved a score 1.25, which is the highest possible rating, representing "outstanding environmental performance”.
Competitors of Echo include RR Donnelley Logistics Network Global Logistics, Access America Transport, CH. Robinson Worldwide, Freightquote.com, Ozburn-Hessey Logistics, Total Quality Logistics, Transplace, Schneider National, FedEx, JB Hunt, ABF, YRC, Conway[disambiguation needed] and UPS.
- Echo Global Logistics website
- Echo Global Logistics, Inc. on Google Finance
- Echo Global Logistics on YouTube
- myFreight powered by Echo
- Inbound Logistics Top 100 3PL Providers 2010
- Entrepreneur of the Year: Driving Force: How Doug Waggoner reinvented Echo Global Logistics - SmartBusiness, July 2009
- ""Profile: Echo Global Logistics, Inc. (ECHO.OQ)," Reuters".
- ""Echo Global Logistics, Inc. (ECHO) Chief Executive Officer to Ring The NASDAQ Stock Market Opening Bell," NASDAQ".
- ""Top 100 3PL Providers of 2010," Inbound Logistics".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Recognized #2 in Crain's Chicago Business Fast Fifty 2011," Yahoo Finance".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Company Growth," Echo.com".
- Dahl, Darren (November 17, 2010). ""A Business Creator Sees Big Returns From Social Media," New York Times, November 17, 2010". The New York Times.
- ""Entrepreneur of the Year: Driving Force: How Doug Waggoner reinvented Echo Global Logistics," SmartBusiness, July 2010".
- ""Winners for Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year 2009 awards in Midwest announced," Ernst & Young, June 26, 2009".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Inc. Mergers and Acquisitions," AlactraStore".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Opens Dallas Office," The Journal of Commerce, April 6, 2010".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Announces Opening of New Office in Atlanta, Georgia," SupplyChainNetwork.com, March 9, 2010".
- ""Echo Global Logistics, Inc.," Answers.com".
- ""About Echo Global Logistics," Echo.com".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Technology," Echo.com".
- ""Profile: Echo Global Logistics," Inbound Logistics".
- ""Echo Global Logistics Carriers," Echo.com".
- ""Echo Global Logistics' Joins EPA's SmartWay Transport Partnership, Achieves Highest Possible Score," TradingMarkets.com, February 12, 2010".