Echo of Moscow

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Echo of Moscow
EchoMskLogo.png
Broadcast area  Russia
United States Chicago
Kyrgyzstan Bishkek
First air date 22 August 1990
Owner Gazprom Media
Website http://echo.msk.ru
Alexey Venediktov (right), editor-in-chief of Echo of Moscow
Sergey Korzun, co-founder and 1st editor-in-chief of Echo of Moscow
Sergey Buntman (right), co-founder of Echo of Moscow
Yuri Fedutinov, General Director of Echo of Moscow

Echo of Moscow (Russian: Э́хо Москвы́, Ekho Moskvy) is a Russian radio station based in Moscow, broadcasting in many Russian cities, some of the former-Soviet republics (through partnerships with local radio stations), and via the Internet. As of 2008 some observers described it as "the last bastion of free media in Russia".[1][not in citation given]

General overview[edit]

Most of Echo of Moscow's content consists of news and talk shows focusing on social and political issues, where the station tries to represent different points of view. The current[timeframe?] senior editor is Alexey Venediktov. Radio hosts of the station include Victor Shenderovich, Yulia Latynina, Sergey Parkhomenko, Yevgenia Albats, Vladimir Kara-Murza, Vladimir Ryzhkov, Maria Gaidar, Yevgeny Yasin and Sophie Shevardnadze. As of April 2014 Yulia Latynina is the most popular presenter at the radio station.[2] In addition to broadcasting, Echo of Moscow runs a website that publishes analytical and factual materials in a variety of fields including international and domestic political affairs, social developments and cultural trends. The articles are written by members of the so-called Echo of Moscow Club, an honorary group of political analysts, academic researchers, columnists and public figures. Among the site's authors are Boris Akunin, Dmitrii Bykov, Matvey Ganapolsky, Eduard Limonov, Alexey Navalny, Valeriya Novodvorskaya, Victor Shenderovich, and a number of others, who have sustained national and international acclaim in their areas of expertise. The Echo of Moscow site is an authoritative source of information, and its publications are regularly cited, relied on and reproduced by major Russian internet publications and other media sources.

As of 2005 Echo of Moscow was majority owned by Gazprom Media which holds 66% of its shares, the remaining 34% are held by journalist staff.[citation needed]

Critics and controversy[edit]

In September 2009 numerous chief editor replies point out that Gazprom and/or other stock-holders did not interfere with informational policy and were not allowed to.[3][4]

On 1 November 2014 the station received an official Roskomnadzor warning that a program the station had aired about Ukraine contained "information justifying war crimes".[5] A radio station can be closed down if it receives two Roskomnadzor warnings in one year.[5]

Frequencies[edit]

Gallery[edit]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Magazine Roundup". signandsight.com. 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2009-09-09. 
  2. ^ "Топы". Echo of Moscow. 24 April 2014. 
  3. ^ Juferova, Yadviga (2008-02-20). Свобода эха. Останется ли после 2 марта Алексей Венедиктов главным редактором "Эха Москвы"? (in Russian). Rossiyskaya Gazeta. Retrieved 2009-09-09. 
  4. ^ Alexey Venediktov (2008-03-03). Без посредников (Podcast) (in Russian). Echo of Moscow. Retrieved 2009-06-13. 
  5. ^ a b "Russia's Ekho Moskvy Hit With Official Warning". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. 1 November 2014. 

External links[edit]

official internetwebsite

Coordinates: 55°45′8.19″N 37°35′46.72″E / 55.7522750°N 37.5963111°E / 55.7522750; 37.5963111