Eckhard D. Falkenberg
After his university studies mid 1960s Falkenberg had started his career as Research Manager at the Siemens Information Technology Laboratories in Munich, Germany. Early 1970s he returned to the academic world. He was appointed Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Stuttgart. In 1975 Falkenberg received his PhD in Stuttgart with a thesis entitled "Strukturierung und Darstellung von Information an der Schnittstelle zwischen Datenbankbenutzer und Datenbank-Management-System."
In 1982 Falkenberg moved with Sjir Nijssen and Dirk Vermeir to the University of Queensland, where Falkenberg became Senior lecturer in Computer Science and Nijssen became Full Professor. The three of them cooperated with Terry Halpin in further developing Nijssen's Natural language Information Analysis Method (NIAM) into Object-Role Modeling. In 1986 back in Europe Falkenberg was appointed Professor of Informatics of the Radboud University Nijmegen. Among his doctoral students were Sjaak Brinkkemper (1990), Arthur ter Hofstede (1993), Erik Proper (1994) and Patrick van Bommel (1995). Late 1990s Falkenberg retired and moved back to Germany.
Falkenberg's early research had focussed on modelling of database systems, and late 1980s he became known for his "pioneering work on conceptual schemata within the ANSI/SPARC three-level framework for database management systems. [In his research with Siemens] he has been responsible for developing the conceptual schema approach into a practical tool for information analysis."
Falkenberg has authored and co-authored numerous publications in the field. Books, a selection:
- 1995. Information system concepts: towards a consolidation of views : proceedings of the IFIP international working conference on information system concepts, 1995. With Wolfgang Hesse and A. Olivé, International Federation for Information Processing. Chapman & Hall.
- 1998. A framework of information system concepts. The FRISCO report. With Paul Lindgreen, Björn E. Nilsson, J.L. Han Oei, Colette Rolland, Ronald Stamper, Frans J M Van Assche, Alexander A. Verrijn-Stuart, Klaus Voss.
- 2000. Information System Concepts: An Integrated Discipline Emerging. With Kalle Lyytinen and Alexander A. Verrijn-Stuart. Springer
Articles, a selection:
- Falkenberg, Eckhard D. "Concepts for Modelling Information." IFIP working conference on modelling in data base management systems. 1976.
- Wieringa, Roel, Eckhard D. Falkenberg, and Paul Lindgreen. "Three roles of conceptual models in information system design and use." Information System Concepts: An In-dept Analysis (1989): 31-51.
- Falkenberg, Eckhard D., JL Han Oei, and Henderik Alex Proper. "Evolving information systems: Beyond temporal information systems." Database and Expert Systems Applications. Springer Vienna, 1992.
- Terry Halpin (2001) Information Modeling and Relational Databases: From Conceptual Analysis to Logical Design. p. 106
- Maurice Frank (1995) ""Black Belt Design:Asymetrix Corp.’s Dr. Terry Halpin" in : DBMS. September 1995.
- Australian Computer Journal (1988) Vol 20. p. 104
- AI Genealogy Project : Eckhard Falkenberg Accessed September 18, 2013.
- Falkenberg, Eckhard D., Kalle Lyytinen, and Alex A. Verrijn-Stuart (2000) Proceedings of the IFIP TC8/WG8. 1 International Conference on Information System Concepts: An Integrated Discipline Emerging. Kluwer.
- Eckhard D. Falkenberg List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server