Location in Elmore County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||4.2 sq mi (11.1 km2)|
|• Land||4.2 sq mi (11 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||581 ft (177 m)|
|• Density||246.9/sq mi (93.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0117848|
Eclectic is located at (32.641285, -86.038571).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11 km2), of which, 4.2 square miles (11 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (1.17%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,037 people, 409 households, and 280 families residing in the town. The population density was 244.7 people per square mile (94.4/km2). There were 459 housing units at an average density of 108.3 per square mile (41.8/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 78.11% White, 19.19% Black or African American, 0.96% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.87% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. 1.83% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 409 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 16.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the town the population was spread out with 30.1% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 19.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 85.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,906, and the median income for a family was $31,855. Males had a median income of $29,554 versus $18,162 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,131. About 20.5% of families and 25.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.6% of those under age 18 and 23.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Ben Grubbs, grew up in Eclectic. He played college football at Auburn University, and is currently an offensive guard for the New Orleans Saints.
- Gallant, Frank K. (2012). A Place Called Peculiar: Stories about Unusual American Place-Names. Courier Dover Publications. p. 4.
- Thompson, George E. (2009). You Live Where?: Interesting and Unusual Facts about where We Live. iUniverse. p. 2.
- Parker, Quentin (2010). Welcome to Horneytown, North Carolina, Population: 15: An insider's guide to 201 of the world's weirdest and wildest places. Adams Media. pp. ix.
- Helbock, Richard W. (2007) United States Post Offices, Volume VIII - The Southeast, p. 76. Scappoose, Oregon: La Posta Publications
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.