Eclipse (September 21, 2008)
|Port of registry:||Hamilton, Bermuda|
|Builder:||Blohm + Voss|
|Cost:||€340 million (as of September 2011)|
|Launched:||June 12, 2009|
|In service:||December 9, 2010|
|Status:||Currently docking outside The Chocolate Factory/Ogilvy & Mather|
|Length:||162.5 m (533 ft)|
|Boats & landing
|1 mini-submarine, 3 landing boats|
|Crew:||70 crew members|
|Aviation facilities:||2 helicopter pads|
M/Y Eclipse is a luxury motor yacht constructed by Blohm + Voss of Hamburg, Germany. Its exterior and interior were designed by Terence Disdale Design and its naval architect was Francis Design. The yacht was delivered to Russian businessman Roman Abramovich on 9 December 2010. At 163.5 metres (536 ft) long, Eclipse is the world's second largest private yacht, 17.3 metres (57 ft) shorter than the Azzam, which launched in April, 2013. The yacht's cost has been estimated at €340 million (approx. US$475 million as of September 2011), but a September 2009 report indicated that final costs could approach €800 million (US$1.12 billion). The final cost has been reported to be as high as US$1,500,000,000.
Eclipse has two helicopter pads, 24 guest cabins, two swimming pools, several hot tubs, and a disco hall. It is also equipped with three launch boats and a mini-submarine that is capable of submerging to 50 metres. Approximately 70 crew members are needed to operate the yacht.
For security, Eclipse is fitted with intruder detection systems and a German-built missile defense system. Abramovich's master suite and the yacht's bridge are fitted with armour plating and bulletproof windows. The yacht is reportedly equipped with an anti-paparazzi shield in the form of lasers that sweep the surroundings, and when they detect a CCD, they shine a light directly at the camera to prevent the photograph. According to The Times, these do not run all the time, so friends and guests should still be able to take pictures. Instead, they will be activated when guards spot likely professional photographers nearby. How such a system could feasibly work has, however, not been demonstrated, leading some to doubt the claims credibility.
Eclipse is also the largest vessel employing a novel rotor-based stabilization system against roll motion at anchor and at low cruise speeds, based on the Magnus effect.[non-primary source needed]
Eclipse was launched on 12 June 2009. It arrived in Frederikshavn, Denmark, on September 18, 2009, for tests, and was delivered to Abramovich on December 9, 2010. First pictures of the completed yacht were taken at Kristiansand, Norway, during its refuelling.
On February 15, 2013, Eclipse docked at Pier 90 in New York City, without giving a specific reason for the stay, although some sources indicate that the yacht is scheduled to stay until mid-April, when Roman's pregnant girlfriend Dasha Zhukova would be giving birth. The yacht left NYC on May 14, 2013
Abramovich's private fleet consists of five motor yachts: Eclipse, Sussurro, Titan, Umbra, and Luna. He gave Le Grand Bleu to his associate and friend Eugene Shvidler in June 2006. He sold Ecstasea in June 2009 to an unknown Egyptian. Pelorus was received by his ex-wife Irina in 2009 as part of their divorce settlement. She then sold the yacht to David Geffen for $300 million in 2011.
- "Motor Yacht ECLIPSE Launched". LiveYachting.com. 2009-06-12. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Russian tycoon buys a yacht to eclipse all others". Smh.com.au. 2009-06-17. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Superyacht Eclipse: World's Largest Yacht Delivered". SuperYachts.com. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "M/Y Eclipse". agent4stars.com. 2009-06-12. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Top 100 Largest Yachts". boatinternational.com. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Daniel Fisher (2013-04-05). "German Shipyard Launches World's Largest Private Yacht At 591 Feet". Forbes.
- Sorrel, Charlie (2009-09-21). "Russian Billionaire Installs Anti-Photo Shield on Giant Yacht". Wired. Retrieved 2009-09-21.
- "Now THAT'S a boat! World's largest yacht belonging to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich docks in New York". Daily Mail. 16 February 2013.
- Pancevski, Bojan (2009-09-20). "Roman Abramovich Zaps Snappers with Laser Shield". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Liz Hull (2008-10-06). "Floating Fortress: Chelsea Owner Abramovich Builds £200m Super-yacht Half the Size of the Bismarck". Mail Online. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Quantum Med Marine (Jun 2, 2009). "Quantum Rotary Stabilizers". YouTube.
- "Quantum Med Marine". Sales History. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Eclipse | Blohm & Voss, Roman Abramovich, Recent Launches, Gigayachts, Terence Disdale |". Yachts.monacoeye.com. 2009-07-06. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "The world's biggest yacht in Kristiansand". fvn.no. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Superyacht Eclipse joins charter fleet of SuperYachtsMonaco". SuperYachtTimes.com. 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Roman Abramovich's Enormous Yacht May Stay In NYC For A Few Months". Business Insider. Feb 19, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Eclipse (ship, 2009)|