École d'ingénieurs généralistes La Rochelle
|Ecole d'Ingenieur en Genie des Systems Industriels (Industrial systems engineering school)|
|Motto||Votre vie d'ingénieur commence ici ("Your engineering life starts here")|
|Established||1990, Can be traced back to the Ecole d’Electricité et de Mécanique Industrielles de Paris established 1901 in Paris|
|Type||Engineering school, Grandes écoles|
|Location||La Rochelle, France|
|Former names||Ecole d'Electricité et de Mécanique Industrielles de Paris|
|Affiliations||Commission des titres d'ingénieur, IngéFrance|
L'Ecole d'Ingénieurs en Génie des Systémes Industriels, also known as EIGSI (can be translated into 'Industrial systems engineering school'), is an engineering school (French Grandes écoles) situated in La Rochelle, a town on the Atlantic Ocean on the west coast of France.
The EIGSI is a generalist engineering school, meaning that all the students are given a truly multidisciplinary education. In their fourth year, out of five, a specialisation can be chosen between: mechanical engineering, mecatronics, information systems, energy and environment, industrial management.
Upon completion of the 5 years of study, and the required industry internships, a Master of Engineering is delivered (equivalent to 'diplôme d'ingénieur' in the French system).
- 1902: the 'Ecole d’Electricité et de Mécanique Industrielles de Paris' (also referred as 'Ecole Violet' due to its situation in 'Violet street') was established in Paris, at the time teaching a small class of students electricity and mechanical engineering for the industry.
- 1987: the school leaves Paris and the alumni association take upon the challenge of creating a generalist engineering school tailored to answer the needs of industrial companies.
- 1990: the EIGSI - Ecole d'Ingénieurs en Génie des Systèmes Industriels opens for the first time in La Rochelle.
- 1991: the EIGSI is officially accredited by the CTI Commission des titres d'ingénieur meaning that it is officially recognised as able to deliver engineering degrees that meet the French and European criteria.
- 2004: the EIGSI has opened an additional 6 months managerial training course called the 'MIND'. It can be completed upon graduation.
- 2006: the EIGSI has opened an additional campus in Casablanca in Morocco. Exchanges between the 2 campuses is made possible and students from Casablanca are welcomed to spend a semester in La Rochelle.
- 2007: the EIGSI participated as one of the major actor in the creation of the engineering school network IngéFrance.
Ranking and performance
The EIGSI was placed at the 25th position out of 67 in a 2009 survey comparing similar engineering school across France.
Video presentation of EIGSI on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FnPhLxVnrc
Detailed data for EIGSI from the 2009 survey: http://www.letudiant.fr/palmares/classement-ecole-ingenieur-apres-bac/fiche/ecole-d-ingenieurs-en-genie-des-systemes-industriels-3995.html
- "EIGSI historique". www.eigsi.fr. 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009.
- "L'Etudiant, palmares 2009 des école d'ingénieur aprés bac". L'Etudiant.fr. 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2009.