Ed Davis (Royal Marines officer)
Ed Davis in May 2013
|Born||Hereford, Herefordshire, England|
|Years of service||1981–present|
|Commands held||3 Commando Brigade
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
Davis was commissioned into the Royal Marines in 1981. In 1996, he attended the Army Command and Staff Course at Staff College, Camberley. In the same year, he became Chief of Staff at the Headquarters of the Combat Service Support Group (UK) in which role he took part in the Bosnian War. He was appointed Chief of Staff to the Commander of the UK’s Amphibious Forces in 2007 and was deployed to Afghanistan as Chief of Joint Effects for ISAF. He was appointed Commander of 3 Commando Brigade in January 2010 and again deployed to Afghanistan – this time as the Commander of Task Force Helmand. He became Commandant General Royal Marines in December 2011. He was promoted to major general on 10 January 2012, with seniority from 28 November 2011.
Awards and decorations
|Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)||23 March 2012 "in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1st April 2011 to 30th September 2011".|
|Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)||2006|
|Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)||1996|
|NATO Medal medal for the former Yugoslavia||With former Yugoslavia clasp|
|Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan|
|Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal||2002|
|Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal||2012|
|Officer of the Legion of Merit||2011|
- "Commandant General Royal Marines". Royal Navy. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Biography: Brigadier Ed Davis
- Petraeus visits Royal Marines in Helmand Defence News, 6 June 2011.
- City brigadier will lead Royal Marines This is Plymouth, 5 November 2011.
- The London Gazette: . 10 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- The London Gazette: . 23 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Operational Honours and Awards List". Ministry of Defence. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2005. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- The London Gazette: . 14 June 1996. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
|Commandant General Royal Marines