Murawinski working on a drawing for the New York Daily News.
November 3, 1951 |
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Occupation||New York Daily News Cartoonist|
|Spouse(s)||Deborah Murawinski (m. 1977)|
|Children||Kevin Murawinski, Michael Murawinski, Matthew Murawinski|
Edward Murawinski (born November 3, 1951 in Jersey City, New Jersey) is an American cartoonist. He is currently employed by the New York Daily News in New York City as a cartoonist and a member of the National Cartoonist Society. He attended Manhattan's School of Visual Arts and has been employed by the Daily News since he was seventeen.
Edward Murawinski was born on November 3, 1951 in Jersey City, New Jersey to Walter A. Murawinski, a supervisor with the U.S. Postal Service, and his wife, Anna. He has two brothers, Walter and Joseph, and two sisters, Agnes and Mary, the latter of whom worked as a graphic designer. Murawinski grew up in North Bergen, constantly drawing and doodling from an early age, explaining, "We didn't have art classes when I went to St. Joseph of the Palisades. So I spent a lot of time just doodling on the back of notebooks and what have you." After graduating from high school in 1969, Murawinski attended the School for Visual Arts in Manhattan.
Around the same time, a neighborhood friend told him that the New York Daily News was looking for copy boys. The 17-year-old Murawinski got one of those positions, running copy, fetching coffee, and doing other errands for different departments.
He is currently a cartoonist primarily for the sports department, but also illustrates certain political events such as the New York Mayoral Election. Many of the newspaper's sport section pages are laid out by Murawinski. The National Cartoonists Society nominated him for a Reuben Award for newspaper illustration in 2002 and again in 2008.
Ed once again came out victorious with his all time leading sixth win in the 2014 Fall Classic Golf Outing.
- "OBITUARY". Daily News (New York). January 17, 1997.
- " Local Newser cartoonist's sister dies at age 60". Daily News (New York).
- Hague, Jim (October 22, 2006). "He drew Steinbrenner in a diaper: NB native went from classroom doodles to Daily News sports cartoons". The Hudson Reporter. Accessed August 7, 2008.
- Events (2003-05-21). "Cartoonists to Be Honored". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- Hague, Jim. "He drew Steinbrenner in a diaper: NB native went from classroom doodles to Daily News sports cartoons", The Hudson Reporter, October 22, 2006, retrieved November 24, 2006.
- Ball, Ryan. "Cartoonists to Be Honored", Animation Magazine, May 21, 2003, retrieved November 24, 2006.