Ed W. Clark High School
|Ed W. Clark High School|
Educating Today... for Tomorrow.
|4291 Pennwood Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89102|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
Ed W. Clark High School, opened in 1965, is a nine-month magnet high school that is part of the Clark County School District and is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It is also the only high school named after a person in Clark County.
"Touchstones for education: Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships"
Magnet programs at Clark High School
- Academy of Finance: (A.O.F.)
- Academy for Mathematics, Science, and Applied Technology: (A.M.S.A.T.)
- Teacher Education At Clark High: (T.E.A.C.H.)
- Bob Beers, State Senator (R-Las Vegas) (Class of 1977)
- Nick Bell, former professional football player (Class of 1987)
- Laura Dahl, fashion designer
- Brian Dallimore, former Major League Baseball player
- John Ensign, Senator (R-NV) (Class of 1976)
- Robert Gamez, professional golfer (Class of 1987)
- Steven Horsford, United States Representative (D-Nevada)
- Jimmy Kimmel, talk show host, comedian (Class of 1985)
- Catherine Cortez Masto, Attorney General, Nevada (Class of 1982)
- Matthew Magda, Minor League Football Hall of Fame (Class of 1989)
- Ron Merkerson, professional football player
- Rory Reid, Clark County Commissioner
- Ron Riley, former professional basketball player (Class of 1992)
- Ronnie Vannucci Jr., drummer of major label band The Killers
- Phil Glover, professional football player (class of 1994)
Clark High School is home to a number of award-winning performing groups, including the orchestra, band, and choir.
The orchestra is now under the direction of Chuck Cushinery and Jeremy Paredes. Now with a beginning orchestra, any student who wishes to learn how to play classical string instrument may join the orchestra. There are also the intermediate and advanced orchestras for more experienced players. In addition to that, more proficient musicians may opt to audition for the chamber orchestra, which challenges students with a considerably advanced repertoire.
The marching band, directed by Jeff Lacoff and Nick Aultz, now consistently makes finals in marching band competitions and regularly contends with the better groups in the city of Las Vegas . Jeff Lacoff has a drumline during the winter after Marching season. The marching band divides into two bands during the winter and spring seasons: the symphonic band (for the intermediate musicians) and the wind ensemble (for the advanced musicians). Also, jazz band is currently directed by Nick Aultz and in the past has performed at Disneyland and on KLVX's Inside Education.
The chorus, under the direction of Robert West, consists of several different groups. These include: All-men, All-women, Jazz, Concert, Advanced, and Chamber choirs.
In 2008, Clark's full orchestra (consisting of orchestra and band) performed at Carnegie Hall in New York. They played again at Carnegie Hall in March 2012. In March 2015, Clark's chamber orchestra performed at an ASTA national competition at Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake City. They placed as national and grand champions under the direction of Chuck Cushinery.
- "School info & Admission." Las Vegas Gakuen. Retrieved on April 1, 2015. "School starts at 8:45 a.m. and ends at 12:30 p.m. on Saturdays. The school is located at Clark High School on Arville and Pennwood."