|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Edappal is a town in Malappuram district, Kerala state, India. Edapal is at a junction of two roads Thrissur-Kuttippuram and Palakkad-Ponnani state highways located 45 km from Malappuram. Edapal lies in two panchayaths (local body), Vattamkulam and Edappal. Edappal shares borders with Thuyyam, Polpakkara, Ayilakkadu, Vattamkulam, and Annakampadu.
Edappal is well known in the region for foreign goods and related markets. Like some other main towns of Malappuram and Kozhikode, The economy is mostly a money-order economy with the main source of money from expatriates in the Middle East.
- By Train: 10 km from Kuttipuram Railway Station
- By Air: 80 km from Calicut Airport, 100 km from Cochin Airport.
Edapal got its name from the word "Edappalayam," meaning intermediate place, because Edapal was the intermediate resting place for the army of Zamorins on their journeys to conquer South Kerala.
The first notable public institution in Edapal was the Government High School (now higher secondary school). The school was established in 1957 when the first Communist ministry of EMS Namboodiripad had quickly sanctioned 65 high schools in the then educationally backward Malabar region. Though the high school was sanctioned, there was no sufficient fund or infrastructure in order to start the high school. Hence the Namboothiris of Naarayanathu Mana graciously donated the land where the high school now stands. Many of the citizens of Edapal, notably Mathilakathu Unnikrishna Menon, ICS (Retd), Unikkat E U Gopi Menon and others made donations of money and materials very generously, and also selfless voluntary works for construction of the first building.
The high school had a good band of proficient and efficient teachers at the outset. Head Master was Sri M. T. Govindan Nair, who is the elder brother of famous Gnanapeeth Award winner Sri M T Vasudevan Nair. The other great teacher of the high school was SMT. M Gauribhai Menon, daughter of Mathilakathu Unnikrishna Menon. One more unforgettable teacher was Sri Mezhathur Shekhara Warrier, Malayalam Pandit.
The first SSLC batch of 22 boys and 14 girls from the high school appeared in March 1960. Many of the students have become teachers and other office staff. Some had joined the army and air force. Among those who reached the higher peak in their positions are (1) E U Gopinatha Menon, Vijaya Bank Manager, (2) P M Narayanan Namboodiri, State Bank Manager, (3) Pappancheri Narayanan (IRS-Retd), Assistant Commissioner of Income-tax Mumbai etc.
With much efforts of People like M/s SMB Pisharody/Pallipad (Pl add)An Engilish Medium Division from 8th Std. was sanctioned in 1963 However, to day considering the plight towards English Medium it will be unbelievable it has to be surrendered for want of students with 1968 SSLC Batch
Edapal got the present prominence only after the National Highway was inaugurated. Before the Highway started, it was then called the Edapal Angadi which has lost its prominence after the Highway came.
The political leaders of earlier Edapal were Mr. Prabhakarn, Sri E U Gopi Menon, Karimbil Moideen Abdul Kader, Abdu, MP and so on. The first Panchayat president was the late Kaampurath Neelakandhan Namboodiri. A prominent member of the Panchayat from Edapal Angaadi was late Mr. Kuttiali.
Today Edapal is connected by road to all important points in and outside the state. There are swanky buses available for journeys to Bangalore, Trivandrum, etc., The transport facility was given an important face lift when the late Sri Imbichi Bawa became transport minister. He was the person who set up the KSRTC Workshop at Edapal (Kandanakam). This workshop was instrumental in expanding the transport network through Edapal.
A brief article by PM pallippad is informatiave :http://www.scribd.com/doc/73331019
Places Of Interest
- Edapal is also known for the Biyyam Kayal Boat Race. Biyyam Kayal is a green fringed waterway situated near Ponnani in Malappuram District. A boat race held in its extensive stretch of water during Onam draws a large number of people from far and near. Women rowers also participate in the race. Now developed into a tourist center, the lake has a water sports facility set up by the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC). There is a rest house on the bank of the lake complete with all the facilities for the tourists to enjoy a comfortable stay. SUKAPURAM SHREE DAKSHINAMURTHY TEMPLE is the only Dakshinamoorthy Temple in South India. It is located 1 K.M further from Edapal Junction towards Pattambi Road.
  - - SUKAPURAM KULANGARA DEVI TEMPLE - Popular temple celebrating 14 days Annual Festival concluding on first Sunday of Malayalam Month Makaram (Mid January) - Monthly Annadanam, Daily Chuttuvilakku,Vijayadasami Celebrations,are all very important. 'Kulangarammasuprabhatham' is played daily at 5.20 am link available at
- One of the famous 'Thali Temple's' - POOKKARATHARA THALI SHIVA TEMPLE - (One among the famous - Eighteen and Half Thali Shiva Temples located in and around Kerala) is also located in Edappal Panchayath - 
- One of the oldest port - Ponnani, is situated near Edapal. It's a well-known fishing harbor and beach.
- One of the famous Infertility clinics, EDAPAL HOSPITALS PVT LTD(CIMAR), is situated in Edapal.
- One of the famous ''''Muslim Masjid Thrakkal Munavvirul Islam''''''' (Edapal Panjayath)
- Edapal gave birth to one of Malayalam industry's most notable stars Sukumaran and his sons Prithviraj and Indrajith.
- Kodalil Vishnu temple is another famous temple located at Venginikkara.
- Another famous temple - Polpakkara Bhagavathy Temple also situated in Edappal panchayath.
- The Other Famous temples at Edappal are - Perumparambu Siva Temple & Porukkara Bagavathy temple
- Among the trend Changing Movies in the Malayalam Film Industry like the famous - 'Nirmalyam','Paithrukam','Desadanam' and 'Sneham ' was all shot from Edappal
There is a KSRTC regional workshop is at Edappal. This is one among the four Regional workshops in Kerala. The RWs are at : Trivandrum, Mavelikkara, Aluva, Edappal and Kozhikode.
A notable Devi Temple is situated at Porookkara which on the way from Edapal to Perumparamba. The Thanthri of this temple Shri P M Narayanan Embranthiri is dearest to all the devotees of this temple.
In Perumparamba, the famous Shiva Temple is an ancient temple. It is said that this temple had been desecrated by the army of Tippu Sultan when they had crossed through this area. The temple has now been renovated and got a good number of devotees. Ardra Darshan is celebrated in this temple in Malayalam Dhanu Masam on Margasheerha )Makayiram) nakshatram.
The services rendered by late Sri V C Govindan Nair in Perumpara will be remembered forever. In fact he does not originally below to Edapal Village but he hails from Ayinkalam in Kalady Village. But this great man's Karmabhoomi was Perumparamba. Late Sri Govindan Nair did immeasurable service to Perumparamba in the field of education as well as in public life. He was instrumental in bringing up the Upper Primary School from the earlier management to great properity. Till 1957 (when the Govt. High School was opened), this school was the only learning centre for the children till VIII Std. Many students of this school had reached at high positions in various fields.
The next thing to be attributed to late Sri V C G Nair is the instituting of a post office in Perumparamba. It was due to his untiring efforts that a "branch" Post Office was established in 1965 which has now grown to a higher grade now. He himself was the post master of this post office for a long time. He was an old Inter Mediate of the then Madras University. He himself had his higher education in Madras city. Later on he was in Singapore for a few years before he came back to his native place. Late Shri Nair was versed in legal and property matters and he was the only person at one time to draft even an application, petition etc., for Perumparamba people to any authority.
Thalakkassery Valappil Kunnidhu Musliar (Late)
- Maha kavi Akkitham
- Idasseri Govindan Nair, Ponani
- Kamala Surayya
- Captain Lakshmi
- T.V Soolapaani variyar, late famous astrologist
- Sukumaran, late cine actor
- Alankodu Leela Krishnan
- T.K Padmini, artist
- Narein, actor
- Artist Nmboothiri
- Udayasanu Kaipata (Sanu Edapal - ഉദയസാനു ഏടപ്പാള്)
- Chathanath Achuthannunni
- Kumar Edappal, Kerala State Film Award winner for Costume Design in 2004 & 2008
- Chekannur Maulavi
- Viswanath Edappal, Kerala Sangeetha Nadaka Academy Award winner & Johnson Memorial Award Winner of 2012.
- P.M.Pallipad, poet, teacher, and social reformer (Late/7.1.2011)
- C. V. Govindan, Teacher, Poet & Astrologer
- P. Surendran
- P. P. Ramachandran
- Dr. Gopinathan
- Dr Veleyudhan. Doctor,farmer(karshaka sree award winner)
- Parathulli Raveendran,Late Writer
- muhshid mundekattil(chairman icma)
- Dilip Kumar,vice chairman Rendezvous Sports,Kerala’s IPL team.
- gangadharan master,INTUC vice president
- A.M Rohith ,KSU State vice President
- Serial director Mohammed Kutty Manthadam.
- Ahammed Kutty Musliar Karimbil Manalath(Late) Alankode.
- Kakkidippuram Aboobacker Muliar (Late)
- Kakkidippuram Abdurahiman Musliar (Late)
- Abdul Hakkeem,Kololambu,Vlyd
- Sayyid Sirajudheen V.V, Ayilakkadu
- Hussanal Faroke Kuzhimana
Perumparamba is a small village near Edapal and it is surrounded by three small lakes. It is a beautiful place and if promoted well, will become a good place for tourism.