Edward "Eddie" Holland, Jr. (born October 30, 1939) is an American singer, songwriter and record producer.
Holland was born in Detroit, Michigan. Although he was an early Motown artist who recorded minor hit singles such as "Jamie", he started working behind the scenes due to stage fright. He was a member of Holland–Dozier–Holland, the songwriting and production team responsible for much of the Motown Sound and hit records by Martha and the Vandellas, The Supremes, the Four Tops, and The Isley Brothers, among others. He has written or co-written 80 hits in the UK and 143 in the US charts.
Holland served as the team's lyricist, and also worked with producer Norman Whitfield on lyrics for the songs he produced for The Marvelettes and The Temptations, like "Too Many Fish in the Sea" and "Beauty's Only Skin Deep".
Singles (as a recording artist)
All singles on Motown, unless noted. All of Holland's Mercury and United Artists singles were produced by Motown founder Berry Gordy, but leased to these other record labels for national distribution.
- 1958 - "You" (Mercury)
- January 1959 - "Merry-Go-Round" (initially released on Tamla, later on United Artists)
- 1960 - "Because I Love Her" United Artists)
- 1960 - "Magic Mirror" (United Artists)
- 1960 - "The Last Laugh" (United Artists)
- October 1961 - "Jamie" (US #30, US R&B #6)
- April 1962 - "You Deserve What You Got"
- May 1962 - "If Cleopatra Took A Chance"
- August 1962 - "If It's Love (It's Alright)"
- December 1962 - "Darling I Hum Our Song"
- June 1963 - "Baby Shake"
- October 1963 - "I'm on the Outside Looking In" b/w "I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To"
- December 1963 - "Leaving Here" (U.S. #76, U.S. R&B #27)
- May 1964 - "Just Ain't Enough Love" (U.S. #54, U.S. R&B #31)
- August 1964 - "Candy to Me" (U.S. #58, U.S. R&B #29)