Eddie Lowe (Canadian football)
|Date of birth:||January 1, 1960|
|Place of birth:||Columbus, Georgia|
Career highlights and awards
|CFL West All-Star:||1989|
Eddie Lowe (born January 1, 1960 in Columbus, Georgia) is a former linebacker who played nine seasons in the Canadian Football League for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He was recruited in 1983 out of the University of Alabama. Eddie Lowe is currently mayor of Phenix City, Alabama. He is the first black mayor of Phenix City.
Lowe played American football at Central High School in Phenix City. He attended the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga for a year before transferring to the University of Alabama, where he played for the football team as a walk-on. His older brother, Woodrow Lowe, also played at Central and Alabama, before going on to a career in the NFL. At 5' 10", Eddie was considered too small to play in the NFL, but he was recruited to play Canadian football with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. In 1989, he won the 77th Grey Cup with Saskatchewan and was named a CFL all-star. After the 1991 CFL season, he retired from football.
After retiring from football, Lowe began working as a banker. On a volunteer basis, he helps his brother Woodrow coach football at their high school alma mater. Prior to his election as mayor, Lowe served as president of the Phenix City Board of Education for a decade. In 2012, he was elected the first African-American mayor of Phenix City with 64 percent of the votes cast. He beat three opponents in the race, by a large enough margin to avoid a runoff election.
- "Lowe signs". Leader-Post. 20 April 1983. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Platta, Dave (5 November 2012). "Eddie Lowe sworn in as 1st African-American Phenix City mayor". WTVM. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Rice, Mark (21 December 2013). "Allegations surface against Phenix City Board of Education". Ledger-Enquirer. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Chitwood, Tim (28 August 2012). "Eddie Lowe captures win in 4-man race, becomes Phenix City's first black mayor". Ledger-Enquirer. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Whitaker, Teresa (23 September 2013). "Mayor Eddie Lowe is changing minds about Phenix City". WRBL. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Kausler Jr., Don (28 August 2012). "Former Alabama football star Eddie Lowe elected as Phenix City's first black mayor". The Birmingham News. Retrieved 9 January 2014.