Eden High School
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2011)|
|Eden High School|
Sanctifica eos in veritate.
Sanctify them by the truth.
|535 Lake Street
St. Catharines, Ontario , L2N 4H7, Canada
|Principal||Mrs. R. Hernder|
|Patron||Rev. Menno Simons D.Min, Th.D|
|Funding type||Public Secondary School, with privately funded religious faculty and programme.|
|Endowment||$ 8,209,468 CAD|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Language||English, French, German|
(2000 to present)
Locust Grove Estate, Niagara-on-the-Lake
|Mascot||Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)|
|Colours||Royal Blue and White|
|Newspaper||The Eden Chronicle|
|Former Pupils||"Old Edenites"|
Eden High School, also known simply as Eden, is a co-educational, public secondary school in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
It is a part of the District School Board of Niagara (DSBN). Students from Grade Nine to Grade Twelve study under the Curriculum of the Province of Ontario.
Eden High School was originally located in the neighbouring town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, but moved to St. Catharines when the school population began to grow. The roots of Eden High School reach back to the founding of the Virgil-Vineland Bible School Society in 1938, by early Mennonite Brethren settlers in the Niagara Peninsula. The founder of the school was Rev. Isaac Ewert, who began running evening classes under the auspices of the society in late 1938.
Officially founded in 1945 by an act of the Bible Society of Virgil as a private day and boarding school, "Eden Christian College" the School moved to its present location in St. Catharines as a result of a charter agreement with the now reorganized Lincoln County Board of Education.
Campus and facilities
Eden High School is located on the corner of Lake St. and Linwell Rd. in the north end of St. Catharines, Ontario. Eden is known for having extremely strong academic programs, with recent improvements in both their arts and technology programs. Athletically, Eden is best known for having strong volleyball programs under the leadership of teacher Albino Periera. The Eden senior men's volleyball team has been OFSAA 'AA' Champions for seven consecutive years from 2006 to 2012. Also, a small number of Eden graduates have studied abroad on rowing scholarships and medalled in the Olympic games.
- Registered Charity Information Return - Total assets for Fiscal Period End 2008-05-31
- The Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches at Canada Revenue Agency
- gameo.org Redekopp, Alf. "Virgil Bible School (Virgil, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1999. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 January 2009 gameo.org
- Gameo.org Friesen, C. Alfred. "Eden High School (Virgil, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2002. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 January 2009 gameo.org
- Melanie Kok Winner of two World Rowing Championship gold medals and Olympic bronze.
- Olympics.thestar.com Beijing Athletes, 2008