Edge of the Earth
|"Edge of the Earth"|
"Edge of the Earth" US promotional single
|Single by Thirty Seconds to Mars|
|from the album 30 Seconds to Mars|
|Released||March 3, 2003
(see release history)
|Format||Digital download, CD-R|
|Recorded||2001–2002 at Cherokee Studios, Los Angeles, California; Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, California; The Center for the Advancement of the Arts and Sciences of Sound|
|Genre||Progressive metal, space rock|
|Producer(s)||Bob Ezrin, Brian Virtue, 30 Seconds to Mars|
|Thirty Seconds to Mars singles chronology|
"Edge of the Earth" is a song by American rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars. The song was released through Immortal and Virgin on March 3, 2003, as the second single from the band's self-titled debut album. The song was written by Jared Leto and was produced by Bob Ezrin, Brian Virtue and 30 Seconds to Mars.
30 Seconds to Mars released "Edge of the Earth" to American radio on January 28, 2003. The song was first performed on television on January 17, 2003, during The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. "Edge of the Earth" was also performed on The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn on February 3, 2003. It was the first performance of 30 Seconds to Mars with the guitarist Tomo Miličević, which replaced Solon Bixler few days earlier. The music video for the song was directed by Kevin McCullough and premiered on March 27, 2003, on the band's official website. The video contains concert footage, meetings with fans and behind the scenes of shows.
"Edge of the Earth" was featured in the trailer for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit which played at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2010. The song has also been included on the soundtrack of the game. The Vitamin String Quartet recorded a cover version of "Edge of the Earth", which was released on the tribute album Vitamin String Quartet Tribute to 30 Seconds to Mars (2008). The group used violins, viola, cello and double bass to express their interpretation of the music of 30 Seconds to Mars.
- US promotional single
- "Edge of the Earth" (Radio Edit) – 3:58
- "Edge of the Earth" (Album Version) – 4:36
Credits adapted from 30 Seconds to Mars booklet.
- Performed by 30 Seconds to Mars
- Written by Jared Leto
- Published by Apocraphex Music (ASCAP)
- Produced by Bob Ezrin with Brian Virtue and 30 Seconds to Mars
- Recorded at Cherokee Studios, Sunset Sound, Los Angeles and The Center for the Advancement of the Arts and Sciences of Sound
- Engineered by Brian Virtue
- Mastered by Tom Baker, Precision Mastering, Hollywood, CA
|United States||January 28, 2003||Modern rock radio||Immortal Records, Virgin Records|
|March 3, 2003||Digital download|
- "Available for Airplay Archive". FMQB. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno: Show #2411". TV.com. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "06 Tunes On TV". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Anderson, Philip (19 April 2006). "Interview with Tomo Milicevic and Matt Wachter of 30 Seconds to Mars". Kaos2000. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Webb, Dan (2 September 2010). "Gamescom 2010: Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Preview – The Thrill of The Chase". Xbox360Achievements. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit". Giant Bomb. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Vitamin String Quartet Tribute to 30 Seconds to Mars". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- 30 Seconds to Mars (booklet). Thirty Seconds to Mars. Los Angeles, California: Virgin Records. 2002. 12424.
- "Modern Rock Airplay Archive". FMQB. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Edge of the Earth – 30 Seconds to Mars". Allmusic. Retrieved 25 May 2013.