Edgefield, South Carolina
|Edgefield, South Carolina|
|Motto: "Home of Ten Governors"|
|• Total||4.1 sq mi (10.7 km2)|
|• Land||4.1 sq mi (10.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||531 ft (162 m)|
|• Density||1,094.3/sq mi (422.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1247634|
Edgefield is part of the Augusta, Georgia metropolitan area.
Edgefield is located at .(33.7868, -81.9278)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), of which 4.1 square miles (11 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (1.93%) is water.
Edgefield suffered a devastating fire in late October 1881 with damages of $110,000.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,449 people, 1,080 households, and 697 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,094.3 people per square mile (422.1/km²). There were 1,229 housing units at an average density of 302.3 per square mile (116.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 38.82% White, 59.92% African American, 0.49% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.18% from other races, and 0.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.47% of the population.
There were 1,080 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.8% were married couples living together, 23.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.4% were non-families. 32.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the town the population was spread out with 14.1% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 44.1% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 195.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 221.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $24,977, and the median income for a family was $30,721. Males had a median income of $25,478 versus $23,462 for females. The per capita income for the town was $8,125. About 20.7% of families and 25.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.1% of those under age 18 and 23.2% of those age 65 or over.
In Popular Culture
Notable Natives and Residents
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2010)|
Edgefield is best known for being the home of ten well-known and very influential governors.
- Preston Brooks, U.S. Congressman
- Andrew Butler, U.S. Senator
- Matthew Butler, U.S. Senator
- Ophelia Devore, Fashion Model & Entrepreneur
- James Longstreet, C.S.A. general
- Francis Wilkinson Pickens, South Carolina Governor
- Francis Butler Simkins, Historian and Professor
- Strom Thurmond, U.S. Senator, South Carolina Governor, and 1948 presidential candidate
Edgefield County has the distinction of being the home to ten South Carolina governors and five Lieutenant Governors:
Andrew Pickens, II 1816-1818
George McDuffie 1834-1836
Pierce Mason Butler 1836-1838
James H. Hammond 1842-1844
Francis W. Pickens 1860-1862
Milledge L. Bonham 1862-64
John C. Sheppard July-Dec.1886
Benjamin R. Tillman 1890-1894
John Gray Evans 1894-1896
James Strom Thurmond 1947-1951
Eldred Simkins 1812-1814
John C. Sheppard 1884-1886
W.H. Timmerman 1893-1896
James Hammond Tillman 1901-1903
James O. Sheppard 1932-1934
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "An Historic Town in Ruins". Charleston News & Courier. Nov. 1, 1881. p. 1. Retrieved Dec. 3, 2012.
- "FCI Edgefield Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on July 27, 2010.
- "Edgefield town, South Carolina." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 27, 2010.
- Town of Edgefield
- Town of Johnston
- Guide to Edgefield SC: History, attractions, jobs, schools, churches, businesses, and government - SCIway.net, South Carolina Information Highway