Edgewater, Volusia County, Florida
|City of Edgewater|
|Nickname(s): "The Hospitality City"|
Location in Volusia County and the state of Florida
|Founded by||John Milton Hawks|
|• Mayor||Michael L. Thomas|
|• City manager||Tracey Barlow|
|• City||22.6 sq mi (59 km2)|
|• Land||22.2 sq mi (57 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1 km2)|
|• Density||934.0/sq mi (360.6/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Edgewater is a city in Volusia County, Florida, United States, situated along the Indian River, adjacent to the Mosquito Lagoon. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city had a population of 20,750. It is a part of the Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area, which was home to 494,593 people in 2010.
Edgewater is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 22.6 square miles (58.5 km2), with 22.2 square miles (57.5 km2) (98.25%) of land, and 0.39 square miles (1.0 km2) (1.65%) of water. It runs parallel to the Indian River and is largely influenced by the water, which generates tourism, the main contributor to the city's economy.
As of the census of 2010, there were 20,750 people, 8,786 households, and 5,849 families residing in the city. The population density was 934.0 inhabitants per square mile (354.50/km²). There were 9,929 total housing units at an average density of 447 per square mile (318.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.1% White, 2.6% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4% of the population.
There were 8,786 households out of which 22.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.0% were married couples living together, 12.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.4% were non-families. 26.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.2% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 20 to 24, 21.6% from 25 to 44, 30.0% from 45 to 64, and 22.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46.7 years. For every 100 females there were 92.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $47,750, and the median income for a family was $35,852. Males had a median income of $27,453 versus $21,999 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,017. About 6.4% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.0% of those under age 18 and 4.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Michael Thomas, Mayor
- Christine Power, Councilperson, District 1
- Gigi Bennington, Councilperson, District 2
- Michael Ignasiak, Councilperson, District 3
- Gene Emter, Councilperson, District 4
- Tracey T. Barlow, City Manager
- Bonnie Wenzel, City Clerk
Local businesses include those in the paint, building, boat, garment and honey industries.
Recent studies show a workforce with 10 percent underemployed. The city is within an hour's drive of seven colleges and universities and an Advanced Technology Center. The education, health care and government sectors are the area's largest employers.
Among the businesses that call Edgewater home are:
- Accurate Fiberglass (boats)
- Animal-A-Holics (pets)
- Boston Whaler Commercial and Government Products (boats)
- Captain Foods Inc (Private Label Sauces & Seasonings - Wholesale, Ad Specialty)
- City Line Pizza (pizza)
- Edgewater Powerboats (boats)
- Feathers & Friends (pets)
- Floortime Carpet & Tile (flooring)
- J&J Enterprises (realty & investments)
- Loveland Groves (citrus)
- Porta Products Corporation (marine products)
- R.J. Dougherty Associates (boats)
- Sunrise Beverage Service (regional office coffee service)
- Tiffany Leonard & Co. (Home & Garden Products - Wholesale, Ad Specialty)
- Tropical Blossom (honey)
- Edgewater Plaza Shopping Center
- Florida Shores Shopping Center
- Pelican Plaza
- Adam Lovell, founder and owner of WriteAPrisoner.com
- Daniel Veltri, winner of Hell's Kitchen, a TV reality show
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Edgewater Volusia County website
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Edgewater city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 15, 2012.