Edison Chen Photo
|Chinese name||陳冠希 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||陈冠希 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Chén Guānxī (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||can4 gun3 hei1 (Cantonese)|
|Birth name||Chen Hing-wah (陳興華)|
7 October 1980 |
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Occupation||Film actor, musician, producer, entrepreneur, fashion designer|
|Genre(s)||Hong Kong hip hop, Chinese hip hop, Cantopop|
|Label(s)||Clot Media Division (2007–2008)
|Years active||1999–2008; 2010–present|
|Official Website||Official Website|
Edison Koon-hei Chen (born 7 October 1980) is a Hong Kong Canadian film actor, musician, producer, entrepreneur, and fashion designer. Chen is also the founder of CLOT Inc., and the CEO of Clot Media Division Limited. His native language is English, but he can speak and sing in Cantonese and in Mandarin and is conversational in Japanese, which allows him to be a part of multiple entertainment industries around the world. On 21 February 2008 he publicly announced that he intended to step away "indefinitely" from the Hong Kong entertainment industry due to the sex photo scandal in 2008. He returned in 2010 but has yet to make a comeback in the Hong Kong film industry.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Incidents
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Chen was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, to parents (father is businessman Edward Chen) of Chinese and 1/8 Portuguese descent. He was a student at R.C. Palmer Secondary School in Richmond, British Columbia and also attended Hong Kong International School. He was in the same tenth grade class as fellow actor Nicholas Tse. He spoke English as his first language before learning Cantonese and Mandarin later on. He speaks some Japanese as well. He has two older sisters.
In 1999, a talent scout approached Chen while he was clubbing with friends in Hong Kong. He asked him to film a commercial. He was at the age of 19. From then on, his career began with the Japanese film Dead or Alive 2: Birds. He made his Hong Kong film debut in the film Gen-Y Cops in 2000. He starred in many popular films including Infernal Affairs, Infernal Affairs II, Initial D, and Dog Bite Dog. Determined to expand his horizons to countries around the world, he also starred in the Japanese drama Under the Same Moon. In 2006, he made his American debut as a Hong Kong journalist in The Grudge 2. He was offered a small role in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift but he declined. His final film in Hong Kong as of 2013 is The Sniper, which was filmed before the Edison Chen photo scandal. He also filmed a cameo as a thug in The Dark Knight but because of the scandal, his role was reduced and was seen very briefly as a receptionist instead. Some reports states that he was originally cast to play Lau, a corrupted Chinese Accountant, which was played by Chin Han. He made his comeback in an Asian American film called Almost Perfect which he and his co-stars have been spending time promoting on several film festivals. On 28 October, during a fashion event in Beijing, Edison Chen announced that he would be starring in Initial D 2. The filming of the movie was scheduled to begin in 2011 but it has been delayed indefinitely.
A track Chen dedicated to the people of Hong Kong in 2004, the same year he was assaulted in the city.
The segment also said "Regardless of the difficulty or chaos, the song is dedicated to HK: past, present, and future."
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
In 2000, at the age of 20, Chen landed a record deal with Emperor Entertainment Group. It took him a number of successful album releases before he was given the opportunity to produce a hip hop album. His first hip-hop release was in February 2004, called Please Steal This Album backed by MC Yan and Singaporean musician Hanjin Chen. Several singles from the album topped local pop charts. Chen mentioned the difficulty of fitting in Hong Kong, where it is dominated by cantopop, but said that hip hop has a great potential.
After Chen's comeback in late 2009 he began work on his next album titled CONFUSION. The record includes collaborations with well-known local hip hop artists MC HotDog, MC Yan, and Master Chef. Additional collaborations include Sammi Cheng and Jay Chou.
Edison's foray into the fashion industry accompanied his rising success as a young pop icon. Edison, along with partners Kevin Poon and Billy Ip, became the founders of CLOT Inc., a clothing company described as a "lifestyle company" that is geared toward youth culture, and bringing street fashion to China and Hong Kong. The company has collaborated with many big clothing companies, such as adidas, Nike, A Bathing Ape, Subscrew and Disney. He is also part founder of clothing vendor JUICE, currently operating in Hong Kong (original), Shanghai and Kuala Lumpur with future plans to open a further 17 stores.
In February 2007, he invested $10 million HKD to open his own multi-media company, Clot Media Division, which plans to produce movies, commercials and music albums. In June 2007, he released a Mandarin album, 讓我再次介紹我自己 (Allow Me To Reintroduce Myself) with tracks produced by Kanye West, Just Blaze, and Clinton Sparks.
2004 Chen assault incident
In March 2004, two male teenagers assaulted Chen in Central District of Hong Kong. The two teenagers mocked Chen with dance moves outside a record store. Immediately following the dance taunt, both of the teenagers punched Chen. Upon doing so the two teenagers fled the scene, and Chen gave chase. Chen eventually caught up to the two individuals as they were trying to board a bus. They were turned over to Hong Kong Police. As a result of the incident, Chen reported that he sprained his ankle and that his cheekbone and ear were also injured. Chen declined to press charges and the two individuals were released.
|“||Their lives would be ruined if I pressed charges. Their mother asked me to forgive them. I went to the hospital and got checked out and since it's just bruises, I decided to let it go.||”|
2007 taxi incident
Chen drove to his home after midnight 9 March 2007. The gate was blocked by a Toyota Crown Comfort taxi that had just dropped off its passengers. The taxi driver then signalled Chen to move away so he could pull out, clearing the way for Chen to enter. Chen's security guard told the taxi driver to pull over so that Chen could pass. The taxi driver insulted the security guard. Chen proceeded to have an argument with the taxi driver. Despite the presence of the security guard and other witnesses, he got out of his car and kicked the taxi several times, denting it and breaking all its windows.
He was subsequently charged by the police. On the basis of these charges he was convicted and placed on a one year good behaviour bond. He was also fined; the taxi company was granted HK$4,700 in compensation for the damage inflicted to the car.
2008 photo scandal
In January 2008, Chen was involved in a widely publicised sex scandal when sexually explicit nude photographs of himself taken four years earlier became widely circulated on the Internet. Chen was never accused of uploading the photos himself and a computer technician was later sentenced for accessing Chen's computer during a repair. Celebrities implicated in the scandal included 8 victims: Cecilia Cheung (张伯芝), Gillian Chung (钟欣桐), Bobo Chan (陈文媛), Candice Chan (陈思慧), Vincy Yeung (杨永晴), Mandy Chen (陈育嬬) and Rachel Ngan (颜颖思). Nude photos of Edison's ex-girlfriend, Vincy Yeung, were also made public and the future of their relationship was the subject of intense media gossip.
Hong Kong police have stated that they confiscated a collection of sex-related photos that involve six other identifiable females and other unidentifiable males.
Initially the authenticity of the photos was denied, and digital manipulation was used as the primary explanation for the pictures. However, Hong Kong police and Photoshop experts argued that the photos were in fact real and not digitally altered. This brought about a serious reaction towards all parties involved in the scandal. As a result, Chen made an public apology in English to the Hong Kong people and the ladies involved and indirectly admitted his role and expressed remorse and subsequently announced his indefinite departure from the Hong Kong entertainment industry at a press conference.
Due to the scandal, the Google search engine rankings for 2008 resulted in Chen's Chinese name being the number 1 search term in China, and number 3 in Taiwan. Chen was runner-up to US president-elect Barack Obama in the Hong Kong Person of 2008 poll by government-run RTHK radio, with just under 30 percent of votes in the Person of the Year. On 1 June 2009, Chen spoke openly about the sex photo scandal for the first time since the scandal broke in an interview with TalkAsia on CNN. In the interview he reveals his side of the scandal and how he endured criticisms from the public, the media, and from the individuals affected by the case.
In Chen's personal blog, he referred to an anonymous girlfriend as "V". In 2007, he finally announced that he has been dating Vincy Yeung (the niece of EEG founder Albert Yeung) for three years. On an entertainment show in Taiwan, Chen disclosed that he planned to marry Vincy and that his previous playboy and womanising habits have stopped because of his love for his current girlfriend. He repeated his gratitude to her in an interview with Time Out Hong Kong magazine in March 2011.
Chen was due to relocate to Taiwan in early 2013.
|30 November 2000||陳冠希 (Edison Chen)||EEG||Cantonese EP|
|11 May 2001||Fast and Furious||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|5 June 2001||Visual Diary (Version 2)||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|21 August 2001||超人佳亞 (Ultraman Gaia)||EEG||Cantonese EP|
|2 November 2001||Ed Is On||EEG||Mandarin Album|
|20 December 2001||Peace and Love||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|3 July 2002||Break Through||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|29 August 2002||Transition||EEG||Mandarin Album|
|13 February 2003||Hits or Misses||EEG||Cantonese Compilation|
|26 February 2004||Please Steal This Album||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|4 January 2005||Hazy: The 144 Hour Project||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|18 April 2005||Hazy: The 144 Hour Project (Version 2)||EEG||Cantonese Album|
|21 December 2005||The Best Collection||EEG||Cantonese Compilation|
|12 May 2006||69FM Mixtape||-||Cantonese Mixtape|
|15 June 2007||讓我再次介紹我自己 (Allow Me To Reintroduce Myself)||Clot Media Division||Mandarin Album|
|10 August 2007||讓我再次介紹我自己 (Allow Me To Reintroduce Myself) (Version 2)||Clot Media Division||Mandarin Album|
|28 December 2010||CONFUSION||Clot Media Division||Mandarin/Cantonese Album|
|27 July 2012||3 Corners||East Asia Music||Cantonese Album|
- 2000 – Dead or Alive 2: Birds (Dead or Alive 2: 逃亡者) (Japan)
- 2000 – Gen-Y Cops (特警新人類2)
- 2001 – Final Romance (願望樹)
- 2001 – Cats & Dogs (貓狗鬥一番) (Voice only, Cantonese version)
- 2001 – Dummy mother, Without a Baby (玉女添丁)
- 2001 – Dance of a Dream (愛君如夢)
- 2002 – Princess D (想飛)
- 2002 – Nine Girls and a Ghost (九個女仔一隻鬼)
- 2002 – Infernal Affairs (無間道)
- 2003 – The Twins Effect (千機變)
- 2003 – The Medallion (飛龍再生) (Cameo)
- 2003 – Infernal Affairs II (無間道II)
- 2003 – The Spy Dad (絕種鐵金剛)
- 2003 – Infernal Affairs III (無間道III: 終極無間) (Cameo)
- 2004 – Sex and the Beauties (性感都市)
- 2004 – Moving Targets (2004 新紮師兄)
- 2004 – Life, Translated (時差7小時)
- 2004 – Jiang Hu (江湖)
- 2004 – The Twins Effect II (千機變)
- 2004 – A-1 Headline (A-1 頭條)
- 2005 – Initial D (頭文字D)
- 2005 – Under The Same Moon (同じ月を見ている) (Japan)
- 2006 – Dog Bite Dog (狗咬狗)
- 2006 – The Grudge 2 (咒怨2)
- 2007 – Shrek the Third (史力加之咁就三世) (Voice only, Cantonese version)
- 2007 – Trivial Matters (破事兒)
- 2008 – The Dark Knight (Cameo)
- 2009 – The Sniper (神鎗手)
- 2009 – Coweb (戰無雙) (Cameo)
- 2012 – Almost Perfect
- 2014 – Golden Chicken 3 (金雞SSS)
- 2001 – Weakest Link (一筆OUT消)
- 2005 – MTV Whatever Things
- 2006 – Gumball 3000: Drivin' Me Crazy
- 2012 – Sleeping Dogs (Jackie Ma)
- Japanese TV show "Koisuru Hanikami" aired on 21 and 28 April 2006, TBS in Japan.
Edison converses with Anne Suzuki in Japanese without interpreter on this show.
- Hong Kong's Edison Chen to quit after nude photo scandal, Reuters news, 21 February 2008
- South China Morning Post video "Sorry Edison bows out". Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- Time magazine. "Time.com." A Star is Formed article mention his sister is 1/8 Portuguese. Retrieved on 19 November 2008.
- Edison Chen Interview: Almost Perfect. Asians on Film.
- Cbc.ca. "Cbc.ca." Vancouver-born actor Edison Chen apologize for taking sex photos. Retrieved on 21 February 2008.
- South China morning post. "SCMP." Icon Chen. , 12 February 2008, Original date: 6 February 2001. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- Chang, Jeff (11 October 2006). "Movies, hip-hop, fashion design -- Edison Chen is an impresario for a new Pacific Rim". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Initial D 2, starring Jay Chou and Edison Chen, is coming soon. Asiapacificarts.usc.edu.
- South China morning post. "SCMP." A hip crop. , 12 February 2008, Original date: 17 December 2004. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Edison Chen Interview". BEINGHUNTED Online Magazine. Retrieved 20 July 2006.
- Chinadaily.com. "Chinadaily.com." Edison Chen promotes toy for charity , 25 May 2007, Original date: 6 February 2001. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- How Video Game Roles Are Helping a Disgraced Star's Comeback. Kotaku.com.
- Hong Kong pop star hurt in fight. BBC News (16 March 2004).
- HK pop star Edison Chen punched by youngsters. Chinadaily.com.cn (18 March 2004).
- "HK pop star Edison Chen punched by youngsters". Retrieved 22 February 2008.
- HKstandard. "HKstandard." Singer bound over for kicking taxi. Retrieved on 24 February 2008.
- "Tech jailed for stealing sex-with-starlet photos". The Sydney Morning Herald. 13 May 2009.
- "Hong Kong's Edison Chen quits after sex scandal". Reuters. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 21 February 2008.
- Google Zeitgeist. "Google.com." 2008 Year-End Zeitgeist Around the World. Retrieved on 13 December 2008.
- Sex-scandal 2nd in Hong Kong, News 24, 2 January 2009
- "Talkasia Exclusive interview: Edison Chen breaks his silence". cnn.com. 1 June 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2009.
- South China Morning Post video Edison: "Post anything you want"!, 11 February 2008
- 'Edison Chen', Time Out Hong Kong, 2 March 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- Edison Chen plans to relocate to Taiwan – Yahoo Entertainment Singapore. Sg.entertainment.yahoo.com (26 March 2013).