Edison High School (Fresno, California)
|Edison High School|
|540 E. California Avenue
Fresno, CA 93706
|Type||Public high school, Magnet School|
|Motto||One Tiger, Many Stripes|
|School district||Fresno Unified School District|
|Faculty||90.6 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||2,326 (as of 2009-2010)|
|Student to teacher ratio||25.7|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Athletics conference||County/Metro Athletic Conference|
|Information||559-457-2650 (Phone) 559-457-2742 (Fax)|
Founded c. 1906, the school was first named Edison Technical High School until a major renovation in the 1960s, when the name became the current Edison High School. In 1982-1983, Irwin Junior High School, located adjacent Edison High School was finally integrated by 1985, forming a larger campus; Edison Computech High School.
It is currently a Magnet school in the academic areas of Math & Science. Academically, it is one of the highest ranked schools in the San Joaquin Valley. It is also competitively ranked among the highest on an academic level among all high schools in the State of California.
Edison is also a public school. The school integrates neighborhood students with magnet students.
As of the 2009-10 school year, the school had an enrollment of 2,326 students and 90.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 25.7. Budget cuts have allowed a wider ratio.
Awards and recognition
Edison High School has been consistently recognized as one of the country's top high schools in Newsweek magazine's rankings since their inception, which are based on the number of Advanced Placement Program (AP) exams. On May 13, 2011, Edison has created an all-time state record of the most students taking the AP Human Geography Exam at one time. The school has been ranked #79 in the 1998 listing, #83 in 2000, #166 in 2003 and #331 in 2005.
The school was recognized by the California State Board of Education as a California Distinguished School in 2001. The school was also honored with the award in 1990 and 1992, and again in 2007.
In 2009, the school's Academic Decathlon team had its historic run of 13 consecutive titles of the Fresno County Academic Decathlon competition ended. They have since managed to win one title.
As of 2006 holds weekly meetings of The Simpsons Club. This particular chapter is titled EHS DOH, Edison High Schools/Edison Honors Simpsons Divine Order of Homers.
As of 2007 published Feckless, the first student run humor magazine.
FHA-HERO club has competed in several events such as Apparel Construction, Prepared Speech, Fashion Design, Chapter Activities Manual, Consumer Education, and other competitions. Not only do the students win awards for their achievement in these events, but a number even won sewing machines, cash, and scholarships that range up to $24,000.
Other student-run clubs include Hmong Club, Philosophy Club, Model United Nations, Thread (literary and artistic magazine), Future Business Leaders of America (F.B.L.A.), Science Olympiad, Bad Movie Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, French Club, Rock Paper Scissors Society, Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement (MESA), the award-winning Math Team, and Students With Amazing Talents (S.W.A.T.).
- Template:Marvin X Jackmon (1944-), prolific African-American Author,poet and essayist.
- Ervin Hunt (1947–), former Green Bay Packer defensive back and U.S. Olympic Track Team Head Coach, 1996 Atlanta Olympics
- Donald Slade (1947–), former San Joaquin Valley Player of the year in basketball 1965,currently Director of Basketball Operations Fresno State University
- Charle Young (1951–), former NFL tight end.
- Charles Anthony (1952–), former NFL Linebacker with the San Diego Chargers.
- Greg Boyd (1952–), former NFL Defensive End with the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos San Francisco Fortyniners and Green Bay Packers
- Randy Williams (1953-), 1972 Olympic Gold Medalist in the Long Jump at Munich Olympics and 1976 Olympic Silver Medalist at Montreal Olympics.
- Elbert "Ickey" Woods (1966-), former running back for the Cincinnati Bengals. Notable for performing the "Ickey Shuffle."
- Tim McDonald (1965-), NFL strong safety who played for the Phoenix Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers
- Bruce Bowen (1971-), small forward for the San Antonio Spurs.
- Planet Asia (1976-) Underground hip hop artist
- Ricky Manning, Jr. (1980-), cornerback for the St. Louis Rams. He was the varsity football coach in 2012.
- Clifton Smith (1985-), All Pro kickoff/punt returner for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Villyan Bijev (1993-), Professional soccer player currently signed to FC Liverpool of England's Premier League.
- Greg Smith (1991-), Professional basketball player for the Houston Rockets.
- Joey Wells (1968-), comedian/writer on "Seriously Funny", "Laugh At My Pain", & "Let Me Explain" (writer), "Real Husbands of Hollywood" (writer).
- Correa, Tracy. "New principals selected at Bullard, Edison". The Fresno Bee. June 30, 2009. Accessed July 8, 2009.
- Edison High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 14, 2009.
- "CLASS STRUGGLE THE TOP 100* HIGH SCHOOLS", copy of article from Newsweek, March 30, 1998. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- Matthews, Jay. "The Top High Schools", The Washington Post, originally appeared in Newsweek, March 13, 2000. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- "The Top High Schools: A Web-Exclusive Extended List Of The Nation's Top High Schools", Newsweek, May 24, 2003 (see page 29 of listings. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- "The Complete List of the 1,000 Top U.S. Schools", Newsweek, May 5, 2005 (see page 56 of listings). Accessed November 15, 2005.
- Rush, Angela Valdivia. "Edison High among state elite Fresno school earns Distinguished award", The Fresno Bee, April 11, 2001. Accessed November 15, 2007. "Edison High School Principal Jim Bowen was the lone person on campus Tuesday when he learned the school had earned one of the state's highest honors, the California Distinguished School award."
- "8 VALLEY SCHOOLS HONORED STATE RECOGNIZES ACHIEVEMENT EFFORT", The Fresno Bee, April 17, 1990.
- Award Winners for Fresno County, California Distinguished Schools. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- Correa, Tracy. "Battle of the brains Edison High gets its 10th straight win at the Fresno Co. Academic Decathlon.", The Fresno Bee, February 5, 2006. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- Letter to Edison High School, National Forensic League, dated September 24, 2007. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- "SEAVER, YOUNG LEAD 7 INTO HALL OF FAME", Fresno Bee, November 6, 1986.
- Tim Mcdonald, database Football. Accessed November 15, 2007.
- Wise, Mike. "Bowen Has Every Right and Reason to Be Defensive", The Washington Post, June 14, 2005. Accessed November 15, 2007. "Bowen was the first great athlete I interviewed at my first job. In 1988, he was the star of Edison High School's varsity basketball team."
- Fontana, Cyndee. "Patriotic Exercise Fresno coach cheers his former player in defeat", The Fresno Bee, February 2, 2004. Accessed November 15, 2007. "It's the ring that eluded Ricky Manning Jr. in 1998, when his Edison High School Tigers lost to Sanger in the championship game."